Life Songs....

• 26 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: January 14, 2023, 09:09:07 AM »
Just a little idea to see if there is any interest on the forum - Last week, 3 of my musical friends and myself put together a "Top 10 songs" podcast type thingy where we chose 10 songs that had affected our lives in some way and combined that with a bit of chat on each song - It was fascinating to hear everyone's influences especially as I've know these guys for over 40 years - Anyway, just wondered if anybody on the forum would be up for this ? You would need to record a bit of chat to introduce each song and give me a track listing - I'm completely open to ideas regarding a theme, number of songs etc etc.....

Just as an example, this is my pick...

https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/audit-john/s-0O5CB0dXKQC?in=pompeyjazz/sets/the-audits/s-2TNeGEMFsPB&si=2d79171275b54746a53fffe625cc397f&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Enjoy the weekend all  :)

Wicked deeds

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 10:37:08 AM »
John, I love this thread.  I've started to listen to your contribution and think it is so interesting.  Is that you in the Soundcloud photograph you handsome dude?  Going to listen to this today and then get back to this thread to discuss further.  I'll see if I can cobble something together so please, count me in!

Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 11:49:58 AM »
Great idea!

I’ve now had a listen to all the Auditors podcasts…and thought it was a brilliant listen.

Count me in!

Ps

If there’s enough interest, at some future point, maybe we could expand on the idea and incorporate more original numbers or have a separate personal podcast featuring a “my best 10 songs” kind of thing…along with explanations of how/why they were written and recorded?
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Wicked deeds

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 12:56:49 PM »
@pompeyjazz,

You’re so right 10 tracks are so hard to list.  I too could certainly list a different collection every day. 

“You can’t do that.”  I used to mime to this with my guitar in my bedroom when I was a kid.  I didn’t know the chords back then and didn’t own a microphone but |I believed that I was in The Beatles!  Man I used to devour all literature about the band.  I always enjoyed their history before they hit the big time.  It was like reliving the surprise that the band delivered when they eventually broke on to the scene;  like a secret no one knew about until the pages of the book were turned although, they were already  part of musical history a that time.

Marc Bolan was also part of my musical landscape John.   Loving the guitars, nothing complicated but so fresh sounding, cutting through the mix to deliver a wonderful listening experience.

There’s a 70’s disco anthem in my selection too.  We were so lucky to have lived through decades that presented so many musical genres.  Disco always takes me back to the the mood  of the 70's that would perhaps be lost forever if not for the music which is effectively our very own Time Machine .

I was never a fan of punk music but it was great that music and fashion once went hand in hand.   Once upon a time, we were all expecting new and different genres to spring up, seemingly from nowhere.  I loved the anyone can have a go attitude of Punk.  As punk evolved that changed but the idea of making music with 3 chords stuck and so did the attitude of belief.  What would any of us have done without that?

As discussed, musical genres were everywhere and funk was a great addition.  The Crossover  from Disco to funk is clearly evident as is the influence of this genre in your own work John.  A rich tapestry I’d say.  Much to admire here on your funk track, from the slap bass to horns and funky, scratchy guitar!

I can see how reggae has been a big influence for you John.  You’re probably quite a purist re this genre.  I love the Bob Marly singles. And the the reggae that the police played so I’m not really an expert on this genre.  I’d say however that you my friend, are!  There’s a real element of romance in your chosen reggae track and this is often the case in your own writing.

Demolition girl:  attitude and energy in abundance.  I can see you there n the mosh pit John.  Like I said previously the spirit of ‘can do’ pervades!  Rhythmically, this develops into a such a tight  performance!

Ah John, French  songs.  Like you, I too have my favourites.  This lady has such a beautiful voice. The song packs such a punch too.   I am surrounded by the French language.  This is the preferred language that is spoken around our home though I am not a fluent speaker. I do however try.  One of my favourite French song s is by  Carla Bruni “Le Plus Beau de Cartier.”

Good to hear you listening to new music John.  Your influences are very much here in your top ten of the day and they can clearly be heard in the music that you present on the forum. 

A great original closing song.  All of your influences are evident  too.  The vocal sounds ace. Love the mysterious keyboard parts leading up to to the chorus, almost like “Only you can see my Geoff”. You’ll know what I mean!  It’s a fantastic production and a cool slice of @pompeyjazz writing with a super Bond-like closing chord.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 01:36:56 PM by Wicked deeds »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 02:15:26 PM »
Great to see that there is some interest in this initiative and thank you for your comprehensive review @Wicked deeds I'm really looking forward to hearing some of the other selections of songs that are chosen by you guys  :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 03:04:39 PM »
Brilliant idea John,I hope to get a listen today. I'd say count me in...in theory at least,god know when I'll get around to it!

Wicked deeds

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 03:55:56 PM »
@pompeyjazz

Quick question John,  did you include all of your songs for this thread from your CD/record collection WAV files etc or is there a quicker way to do this without trawling through my record collection.  I've completed the audio talking so would appreciate a little advice before I send it to you.

Paul

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023, 05:09:23 PM »
Such a great idea - I love hearing other people’s influences and especially when you know them a little bit. You always learn something musically and personally. I reckon the combined playlist for this would be amazing. Off to listen to John’s and Paul (Wicked)’s and then see what I can come up with…

Wicked deeds

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2023, 09:42:41 PM »
Hey John, @pompeyjazz.- would you like to let your top ten run for a while or is it ok to list others? 

Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Wicked deeds

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 10:57:42 AM »
thanks John, @pompeyjazz

So, here is my top 10 plus one of my own as I believe that is the protocol.  Should anyone struggle with my accent then I refer you to @PaulAds, a true expert of the northeastern accent  ;)

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/top-10-songs

Enjoy!

Wicked deeds

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2023, 11:03:01 AM »
@pompeyjazz, cheers John, I've changed it to public. let me know if you can access it now.

Paul
https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/top-10-songs