konalavadome

Renegade (with help from Pompeyjazz)

• 13 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: June 03, 2020, 08:07:54 PM »
Hello again

I've posted loads on the forum this last couple of months...sorry about that...just been banging out loads of songs this year and want to clear the backlog and make room for some new stuff.

I wrote this a couple of weeks ago and it seemed to be missing something...so I pinged it over to John @pompeyjazz and asked if he'd help out with some backing vocals for me...he did them straight away and also had a great idea for a little extra bit in the breakdown...so big thanks to John...The Patron Saint of Backing Vocals  :)

It was just a quick idea I wanted to get down...mostly just built around that twin guitar line that's probably overdone  :P and I didn't really feel particularly enthused about the subject matter...so I struggled a little with the lyric. I guess that's why I often need to find topics that really interest me before I can write anything decent. This felt like hard work, really...which is slightly unusual for me.

Renegade

His ghost still somehow haunts the college halls
Though he never cast a shadow on their walls
Cruising through the corridors of power
Fools can swoon and swear devotion
Traitors set the wheels in motion

A power you can’t begin to comprehend
Signals the beginning of the end
A prophet rises up to lead astray
He’ll tell you what you want to hear
His time has come the hour is near

Played
By a Renegade
Too late to change the choices that you made

Betrayed
By a Renegade
He’s gonna piss all over your parade

Take the red pill now before it’s gone
This renegade is not the only one
Voices of dissent get shouted down
Is this the way it has to be?
No ears to hear no eyes to see?

You've been played
By a Renegade
Too late to change the choices that you made

Betrayed
By a Renegade
He’s gonna piss all over your parade...

Backing vocals and excellent additional ideas: John Bradley

Thanks in advance if you choose to give it a spin...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 10:21:13 PM »
Christ..this verse sounds like my Motown song.  :o .Can see it`s been up on Soundcloud a few weeks so I must have listened to it before doing mine.  :-[ Sorry man..didn`t realise...B*LL*CKS !! :'(

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 10:30:37 PM »
Ha ha...Don't worry about it...funnily enough... I was playing along to your motown song tonight...it's a cracking little number and sounds nowt like this really. I've used these chords before at least three or four times myself 😂
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 11:19:47 PM »
I'll of course put you as co writer so we can share all the money it'll never make. Really sorry man. (BTW. Renegade is great of course.I only steal from quality songs)  :P

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 02:12:55 PM »
Hla @PaulAds
I think the song is perfect concerning the instruction an instruments, and the vocals, with the help of @pompeyjazz run perfectly... The lyrics... they could be a film....
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 08:52:17 AM »
Great sounds - the guitar is so ear-catching and the words in the chorus just sound good together - very catchy. Love the sustaining synth through the verses - really carries the song allowing the bass and vocals to feature.

Again, it's a song that has various levels - it works as a singalong song but there's always a nagging flavour of something deeper. I admit I had to "search google for similar images" using the soundcloud picture before it really started to make sense. Damn, that's a brilliant concept, and particularly relevant this week.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 11:02:27 AM »
A super song!! 8) brilliant intro and chord prog...dunno what to say really, that was a great listen, radio ready IMHO...
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 04:22:00 PM »
@PaulAds @pompeyjazz

Hi guys, love the chord structures the guitar sound reminded me a bit of the It Bites guitarist... can't remember his name, is it Francis Dunnery? Anyway great song hooky as hell!

Another cracker guys!

Cheers
Jamie

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 11:28:04 AM »
Hi
This really is a great upbeat catchy song with fantastic guitar and a super sing along chorus.I really enjoyed it.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 03:27:59 PM »
Brilliant Paul (and John), I really liked it.  The lyrics are hard and powerful as is the imagery at the moment.

Good work!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 04:11:20 PM »
This is Spot on.....lovely warm feel masking the underlying for cynical lyrics which i could not pin down but I had Burgess & McClean in my head...or possibly the Eton Mafia. Really Smooth.

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 07:51:02 PM »
Great groove on this track! guitars sounds great , love the bass on this.
super mix & anytime you add John your gonna get some great stuff :)
I really like this song, great work guys!!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 12:38:12 PM »
The starring guitar riff is pretty memorable. I played this on SC a couple of weeks back and replaying it back today it was still stuck in my head  :D

Nice bv touches by @pompeyjazz, probably one of the three songs he worked on that day! 😀

Chorus is damn catchy too, on the verge of bitterly spat out. Mind I don't like all this 'piss' infatuation on the forum. We had @adamfarr pissing through a letterbox a while back. Now this. Where will it end? Who'll be next to piss on our chips?   ;)

Anyhow, solid stuff and excellent production too. Much enjoyed.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 03:42:25 PM »
Bleeding hell this is good. It grabs you right from the start and doesn't let go. Full of great, melodic ideas on the guitar and the bass line is a thing of beauty. I loved the breakdown at 1:54 - just the right place for it. The melody particularly on the verse is absolutely brilliant - a real ear worm. I cannot thing of any way this could be improved and i think it's probably the best thing I've ever heard from you which is really saying something. Brilliant.
M