Use It

• 29 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: February 09, 2017, 10:36:33 PM »
Something a little bit towards my rockier roots,a side which I don't indulge much these days,being an olde pharte.  :P

The lyrics are pretty self explanatory,so I won't patronise y'all with any verbose hidden meaning,you get what you hear.

This is another piece on my DAW learning road to enlightenment and for better or worse marks my move to Logic.

There has been no mastering or any other beautifying process,it's mixed to my headphones and presented. Any tech tips are welcome as well as the usual song/performance critique.

Thanks in advance,you lovely people.  :)

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/use-it

Slow down,slowdown
Sorry for preachin'
I don't mean to offend
It's the journey that matters
You're goin' nowhere in the end

Wake up,wake up
Look around you
It's great to be alive
The point of this journey
Is not to arrive

Right now,right now
Seize the moment
Like a dog with a bone
Enjoy every second
Before your time is gone

Use it,use it
Use it,use it
Spend it all
Use whatever you can find
Left over is wasted
You'll leave it all behind

Slow down,slow down
Slow down,slow down
Take a breath
Before you go on your way
Don't worry 'bout tomorrow
Keep livin' for today
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:44:13 PM by Skub »

LAquila

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 01:28:35 AM »
Superb, Vance. God, I love that bass line...and when it pauses for the first half of the last verse, I'm almost cold turkey with anticipation!

Lovely simplicity, both lyrically and musically. Sometimes the simple things are the best. That's pretty much what you're saying, isn't it.

cheers,
P

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 07:55:54 AM »
Top notch Mr Skub. You've really got yer chops round this DAW business. I got some touches of Cream here, you've got a lovely clean sound and love the guitars. I'm sure you're glad you made the move to a DAW. I've found it totally inspiring as you're able to just record ideas as they happen and then revisit them later. Anyway, think this is great

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 08:39:27 AM »
Super tracvk!! love the solo geetar, great rockin riff throughout!!!
awesome!!!

reckon you've got the DAW thing sorted then 8) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 02:53:45 PM »
Hi!

Nice work. I'd like a little less reverb on the lead vocals and if there is,
either turn the echo higher or turn it of on the guitar. There's something
in the sound of the clean guitar that's just a little bit annoying.
Just details on a great track.

Cheers,

- Martin

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 05:56:06 PM »
Always look forward to hearing a new one from you as your music is always right up my alley. Great rockin riot, beautiful guitar tone as always, well constructed song. I have to agree that the vocal reverb is overdone IMHO.

Just great Skub.
Bill

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 06:02:16 PM »
very good. accomplished slice of classic rock. its well put together and recorded. lyrics are solid. im not normally a big fan of the classic 12 bar blues, but this song is worth making an exception for. Nice work.

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 12:49:06 AM »
Hi,

This is great ‘straight out the box’, lyrically to the point (but not without certain elegance) and complete with good guitar.

The overall vibe would make it a cool driving/travel companion too!

Also the words cleverly refresh an old point that should NEVER be ignored…

Good job  :)

Cheers

Phil
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 09:42:27 AM »
Hi Vance,

Loved the guitar work. Great intro then just rocks along very nicely. Very tasteful solo.

I don't know if you've adjusted the reverb level on the vocal, but it sounds perfectly fine to me - suits the style of music. Gives it a sort of 50s style rock n roll vibe. Catchy chorus.

Despite no "beautifying" the mix sounds pretty darn good.

Digger

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 09:48:34 PM »
LAquila

Ta for listening. I usually put down a 'do rightly' bassline until I can get my son to do it properly,I'm glad you enjoyed the groove,that was 'do rightly' jobbie from myself!  :D

pompeyjazz

Thanks for the comments,John. You are right,I also find the use of a daw liberating. Getting down ideas before they vanish into the ether is awesome. I've written and finished more songs in the months since getting a daw than I did in decades previously.  :)

shadowfax

Cheers Kev,I'm still very much a learner,but it's great to be able to use the tool even at my stage of things.  8)

Martinswede

Thanks for your time Martin. Can you elucidate on you comment regarding what was annoying on the clean guitar?

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 11:56:19 PM »
Hi Skub, great vibe and playing,love it! Great sound too, you're getting to grips with the techy stuff!
Nice one
Cheers
Jamie

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 01:27:25 AM »
Listening...this feels folky to me. I like folk, so that's a good thing. Of course, it's a bit more electrified than "normal" folk, but that's okay. Look at Bob Dylan.

And now the guitar solo. Oh, mama! That is delicious....

There are a couple well-used phrases, but this song is about living in the moment and for me, for some reason, that makes it okay. Because "living in the moment" is kind of a cliché itself, but it's a really good idea, so...there you are.

I would say this is my favorite song of yours ever, except I can't slight "That's the Way We Roll", so I guess I'll have to put both of them on the same pedestal.

That's all I have.

Vicki

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 08:28:06 AM »
Hi Skub,

As you said simple enough message, but put across so elegantly with some really cool rhythm and phrases.

"The point of this journey
Is not to arrive" is super cool and the guitar after it is very welcome :)

Production sounds good to my ears too, enjoyable listen all 'round.

Cheers,
Scott

Moomond

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
Wow Skub, this is terrific! I'm not a classic rock fan normally but this is just so easy to listen to. So well balanced, great rhythm, fills every part of the sonic space without cluttering anywhere. I'm listening through headphones too, don't have a good set of speakers handy so can't tell you if the sound translates as well.

I especially like your vocal, it sounds so natural and whole.

The simple lyric fits the style I think - the carpe diem vibe harks back to the spirit of the 60s/70s. Would not be out of place on a Cream or Steppenwolf album.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 08:33:19 PM »
Bill Saunders

Cheers Bill,I'm always looking at ways to hide my voice,so perhaps you are right about  overdoing the verb. I'm getting craftier,on current songs I'm now using EQ and putting down harmonies to hide behind.  :D

mickyplankton

Ta for listening micky.  :)

boolio

Thanks for your kind remarks Phil.

digger72

Thank you digger,I'm beginning to settle into the use of Logic,it has still many tricks to discover,but at least I can now make a stab at getting a song across on my own.