I'm So Superficial! Valentines Comp entry!

• 37 Replies

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 05:46:32 PM »
Your stuff is always so off the radar interesting..a very clever song..no way I'm gonna critique it..just enjoyed it mucho!! :) :)

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 06:13:27 PM »
Well, this is different....I should have expected that I suppose!

It can't be denied that you do what you do do well Suzy. This is actually pretty catchy and the hook is good! The mix sounded fine to me too.

I was going to put up something about novelty songs and Keith's comment that this isn't a novelty song to him is a good point. I was also going to pose the question 'What is a novelty song?'

A good entry for the comp!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 07:31:55 AM »
The backing here wouldn't be out of place in the pop charts - if you wanted it just to be a commercial song you could do that in a heartbeat by substuting a hooky lyric and more mainstream vocal. But I don't think that would satisfy you (and actually you might then be as superficial as what you are poking fun at!) and so here there are more layers of interest.

Though I think you should try it one day - go for a dancy track with a simple lyric and see how it goes. But you - and we - might feel that would be less creative and this is already very provocative and interesting.

Tommy Blixt

• Open Mic
    • https://soundcloud.com/knownasbeppe
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 08:12:49 PM »
Hello Suzy!

Man, this is so haunting..! I really dig it! I really think that the subject that you adress in the lyrics are really good aswell. I have been writing about this topic my self and I think that you did a better job, haha!
The voices fit very good in the song and helps create the great atmosphere!

I really like this pop-art style that you have going on in this song!

Great stuff

With love
/Known as, Beppe

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 01:53:38 AM »
Hey!

this is crazy as usual though the message is pretty clear. (That you're not superficial are you?) :-)

It's impossible for me to say something useful.

Could you put yourself in a video so we can see how this magical stuff is done?   ;D

Nono.

LOL!  ;D Thanks so much Nono, and no, I don't think I'm superficial ;D Well I hope not anyway ::)
I think that it would be a pretty boring video  ;D

Imogen Heap meets David Byrne,with a dash of Bjork!

Whacky and unusual,then of course there is your song too,crystalsuzy.  :D

I picture you creating something,loading it up to soundcloud,then sitting back smugly and saying,"pigeonhole that,motherf*****s".  :P

A great listen.
LOL! I love it! Thanks, Skub :)

Yeah, there that "Suzy" sound I have learned to love! Weird but great! That intro is fab, you could easily have taken that into a completely (i.e. mainstream) direction and ended up rich and famous..
To me the mix is spot on and well balanced.
'Nuff said really, I'm buying the complete package, well done!
Thanks, Jb :) You're too kind :) 'rich and famous'? how do I go mainstream?  ;D

Crazy but cool. Nice entry for the love song composition. ;-)

Too much bass? Not at all. Play this on a rave, with the bass turned up fully, and the kids will be floored.

I don't think I really got the ending, though. Probably my fault. ;-)

Bye Wolfi

Thanks Wolfi  :) I'm glad you liked it and I'd love to have this played at a rave :o it would be interesting to see the kids reaction ;D
The ending is just suppose to be funny, but also suggesting a new phase of her life, in another dimension where she doesn't know who she is, so can't be superficial anymore :) she has to find herself and who she really is ::) ::)

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 05:01:49 AM »
WOW.....this is different. Interesting stuff!
Love the production. Far out! ;D
The Bimbo voice is hilarious ;D
                                                            8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 12:52:25 PM »
Hi CS
There you go breaking all the rules but somehow you still pull it off.
Loved every bit of this - nothing to compare it to (nothing is as good!) - you're in a class of your own!
When I grow up I want to write stuff like this -  but them damn rules... :(
Paul

RULES??? Nobody told me about any rules! ;D I don't know if I pull anything off,
but thanks for your support Paul :) When I grow up, I want to write like you :o :o

Aw...this is just great, Suzy :)

I doubt there's anyone else on Planet Earth (and probably beyond) who could have done this.

You're a very special and unique talent.

Thanks so much PaulAds  :) I've never thought I was from Earth...I just don't fit in ;D ;D

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 09:01:44 AM »
Another wonderful trip into your world Suzy! One of the categories on my custom, specially designed score sheet for this competition is 'Originality' (0=unoriginal 10=unique) you are the only entry scoring 11 in that column.  ;D Great stuff. You always pack so much into your songs and your spoken parts are always so much fun. Just one comment about the recording ... Is there a hole in your pop filter?
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 01:29:53 PM »
Your stuff is always so off the radar interesting..a very clever song..no way I'm gonna critique it..just enjoyed it mucho!! :) :)

best, Kevin :)
thanks mucho Kevin :) I'm glad you enjoyed it mucho! ;D what more could I ask :) :)

Well, this is different....I should have expected that I suppose!

It can't be denied that you do what you do do well Suzy. This is actually pretty catchy and the hook is good! The mix sounded fine to me too.

I was going to put up something about novelty songs and Keith's comment that this isn't a novelty song to him is a good point. I was also going to pose the question 'What is a novelty song?'

A good entry for the comp!

Thanks mucho(my new fav. word!) Cramer  ;D 'different' is what I do best, I guess,
but having a catchy hook with it, is a bonus  :o
To be honest, I don't really know what makes a song a 'novelty song' ??? ???
Keith doesn't think this one is because it has a message, and I never thought of that when I
tagged it as a novelty ??? So I can't really answer your question  ::) ::)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:32:47 PM by crystalsuzy »

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 10:26:39 PM »
I liked this the first time you posted it and I gotta say I think I like it even more. It almost sounds like a soundtrack from a Disney land ride in tomorrow land. I am thinking of the rides that take you through their predictions of space age life, very similar vibe to this if I remember rightly ( its about 20 years since I was there and my mind plays some very mean tricks on me at times )

Good fun piece

Allan.

love the good ship.

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 10:41:01 AM »

Always a pleasure to take a journey into
 your imagination CS  ;D ;D

I'm stunned ;D ;D

Is that your real voice at the end ??

Good luck xx

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 01:03:44 PM »
The backing here wouldn't be out of place in the pop charts - if you wanted it just to be a commercial song you could do that in a heartbeat by substuting a hooky lyric and more mainstream vocal. But I don't think that would satisfy you (and actually you might then be as superficial as what you are poking fun at!) and so here there are more layers of interest.

Though I think you should try it one day - go for a dancy track with a simple lyric and see how it goes. But you - and we - might feel that would be less creative and this is already very provocative and interesting.

LOL Adam! ;D You're right! If I'd made it commercially mainstream and it had been a hit, I might
have fallen into the trap, but hey, I'd be willing to take a chance :o ;D so thanks for the idea ;D

Hello Suzy!

Man, this is so haunting..! I really dig it! I really think that the subject that you adress in the lyrics are really good aswell. I have been writing about this topic my self and I think that you did a better job, haha!
The voices fit very good in the song and helps create the great atmosphere!

I really like this pop-art style that you have going on in this song!

Great stuff

With love
/Known as, Beppe
Hey, thanks Beppe :) never thought of it as haunting, but I guess it is in a way, so that's cool :) I'd like to hear your version of this subject  :) this is an interesting genre to write in :) :)

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2016, 06:34:46 PM »
great rythm track suzi love the riff
your vocals and the samples brilliantly arranged and like the melodys and the weaving
real nice change down with the gtr pause and the rebuild
i couldnt make out all the narrative & heard more on each listen
lovely groove  dreamlike and spooky

you have a startling kind of 70s movie voice when you speak suzi, ..its amazing, like you were in bullett with steve mcqueen or something like that.. im not trying to be funny just trying to pinpoint what i mean..

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2016, 11:48:16 PM »
Wah Suzy. This has changed and gets better and better every time I listen to it. Totally off the wall and totally up Mon rue

Brilliant  :)

Pompeyjazz

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 12:50:25 PM »
WOW.....this is different. Interesting stuff!
Love the production. Far out! ;D
The Bimbo voice is hilarious ;D
                                                            8)-Tom

Hey thanks Tom :) glad you liked the bimbo voice :o If you ever need one, let me know ::)

Another wonderful trip into your world Suzy! One of the categories on my custom, specially designed score sheet for this competition is 'Originality' (0=unoriginal 10=unique) you are the only entry scoring 11 in that column.  ;D Great stuff. You always pack so much into your songs and your spoken parts are always so much fun. Just one comment about the recording ... Is there a hole in your pop filter?
Thanks Shiny :) at least I'll get 11 points, and that's such an auspicious #  :o Glad you picked up on the fun  ;D ;D Re: "Is there a hole in your pop filter?" I have to admit to not using one, and I know that's a sin, but I recorded most of the vocals using my headphone mic, cause I was just improvising, as I went...it was suppose to be just a scratch track, but then I kind of liked the effect on the vocals, and yes, even the 'Popping P's' in the spoken bit, so I just left it the way it was ::) ::)