Anyone up for a new song writing competition? Any ideas?

• 51 Replies

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 08:39:21 AM »
So, ... It's three chords in two time signatures, one voice, one instrument Murder ballad 'How we killed the Environment' ...

Hmmm sounds crazy at the outset but kind-a makes you want to be the one who pulls it off so it must be a perfect competition brief!

I'd say all of the above plus one percussion instrument (your other instrument can be percussion too) plus one random sound like a door bell or dog bark and I'm gonna give it a go.
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 10:16:50 AM »
Interesting balancing act here between themes that are (i) challenging, being a bit out of our normal comfort zones; and (ii) flexible enough to encourage everyone to have a go.

As a famous pub landlord once said, Where would we be if we had no rules? And if we had too many rules?

Should we have one last call for ideas and then either we vote or whoever is running it gets to choose...?

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 11:49:44 AM »
Yeah I think it just got out of hand a little...I would go for the bare bones option with a subject matter. I think that could be good.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 11:56:28 AM »
I think it'd be great to make it as inclusive as possible...try to get as many entries as we can...

If some don't feel too comfortable doing solo guitar/piano/whatever plus vocals - we might be missing out on their participation...

Just a thought :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 01:45:32 PM »
i think to get as many entries as poss you have to think of something special that would pique peoples interest & fire there imaginations  so they cant wait to have a go
but thats hard to balance with making it realy basic so everyone can do it

a bare bones song would mean id have to start dieting musically & buy some bathroom song scales....thats no fun  :(

Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 02:21:54 PM »
It seems there will be no such thing as one size fits all.

But maybe there are ways to draw more people in...for instance--as TinaM said--if it's a protest song, it could be a protest song against protest songs.

I really like the idea of limiting it to three chords but requiring two time signatures.

And here's an idea no one has mentioned--choose a song that already exists and use the chord progression to write your song. Just in case we don't have enough ideas already. ;) That wouldn't be far outside my comfort zone, though. Once in awhile I like to find an old song in the public domain, rewrite the words to suit my purpose, and start with the chords of the song and rewrite the melody. I usually end up with some different chords though.

I vote for letting whoever oversees the challenge choose the guidelines. We're all getting an opportunity to offer our ideas and preferences.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 09:45:34 PM »

How about sth in 5/4 or 7/4 time with at least 13 chords, at least 20 mins long and not sung in your native tongue :)
Just kidding - aaawww hates RULES!! :(

I know! A LOVE song! Can't be too many of those written yet...

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 09:54:44 PM »

I know! A LOVE song! Can't be too many of those written yet...
Nah, that would really be flogging a dead horse. How about something really angry in a ridiciously high bmp? C'mon Paulski, you can growl, I know you have it in you  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:02:12 PM by Jambrains »

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 09:55:06 PM »
Or a hate song! We all have hate buried deep inside us somewhere. Let it all out. It could be like a big group therapy session.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
OK here's the hook and everyone has to use it as their title:

I HATE LOVE

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2016, 10:02:42 PM »
OK here's the hook and everyone has to use it as their title:

I HATE LOVE

Brilliant!!

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2016, 11:03:09 PM »
Negative emotions are too easy!
Now writing a really positive, happy song without it seeming cheesy.

That's a challenge  8)

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2016, 11:20:48 PM »
Ok, I nominate Adam Farr to organise this because 1) I´m doing SOTM so it may be a bit much, 2) he volunteered and 3) he lives in Spain so I can pop down to his house and hand over the cash bribe.

Adam, you up for it?

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2016, 06:39:01 AM »
Always up for it, sounds like someone has to create some order here! As we did a (more or less) happy song last time in the Valentines competition I am thinking the theme should be "bare bones" but you can choose to do either:

- a song with a stripped down bare bones arrangement; OR
- a song featuring the words "bare bones" in your title or somewhere in the song...

Or both.

I reckon that should appeal to all (including the rockers, murderers, environmentalists, love-haters, carcass finger-pickers etc.)

It's the last day in May today so we should launch this tomorrow so we can get our entries done before we all go to the beach...

What say you?

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2016, 06:44:17 AM »
Damn! ... I was on the beach yesterday!  ;)
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans