konalavadome

Come on, steal the Noise

• 16 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« on: October 08, 2015, 01:13:58 PM »
A struggle for me and quite a few others it turns out. Background noise (or just hiss). What to do about it?

A few thoughts that I have gathered along the way:

Room: I am sure if I had a better room then there would be less noise. I try never to tidy anything up so relfections have a good chance of being diffused ;) but that is probably as far as I will go. Possibly some new curtains. Booths, treatment etc.? Probably never going to happen. The room is for other stuff as well as music. (Also I get the feeling that treatment may affect playback/mixing more than actual recording but not too sure.)

Gain: just had a few breakthroughs on this. I had the settings on my interface down really low as I got clipping as soon as I moved either the gain or the fader past about 1. Turns out that I had forgotten to check the main ouput (it's a mixer) which was up too high. Turned that down. Turned up gain. No clipping either on the mixer or in the DAW. More signal, less noise.

Mic technique: need to get correct distance to source (face, amp etc.). Too far = more noise. Too close is also not good. No way of getting this other than trial and error I think. Also need to point away from noise sources if possible! Doh!

Direct input: logically not using a mic avoids room noise. But I like my guitar amp. And I don't have all the amp sims that allegedly do the same job (or better, having more sounds). To be reviewed. There seems to be a consensus that bass directly into interface is a "good thing".

Computer fan: I am coming to the conclusion that if not actually picked up externally by the mic, this doesn't really create noise internally into the DAW. External harddisks and other stuff which vibrates or has a fan needs to be off, of course (and all unnecessary programs - having Firefox running while recording gave me super amounts of latency, but that is another topic).

Gating: seems like good practice - no barking dogs, lyricsheet rustling, breathing etc. between sections. But if going suddenly from zero to section+noise then this is going to be noticeable - prefer to clean up input if possible. Still, seems logical that anything on a mic should be gated.

Dynamic splitting: I have done this a few times with drums but if not done right risks affecting attack / release (transients?!). Seems a good idea if working on timing issues (quantizing?!). Is there any other reason to use this rather than a gate? Might it help with better memory use?

Plugins: on Reaper there is a "ReaFir" plugin which has a noise subtraction function (you turn it on during noise and then apply that to the remaining track). I haven't worked it out yet, but it seems like if all else fails it might be a plan. Anyone used this or anything similar?

EQ: most people seem to use a high pass filter on everything to get rid of rumble. But hiss is also at the top end and you can get a very narrow signal if trying to eliminate noise this way. Seems like it might contribute a bit but shouldn't be relied on (and certainly not at the cost of EQing for positive musical reasons).

Bit of a brain dump there. Also I first used a DAW in May this year so all very personal and experimental and large pinches of salt needed. But I think this could be a useful thread - what does anyone think of the above or any other suggestions or tricks that work?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:19:08 PM by adamfarr »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 01:20:00 PM »
Adam - There is a brilliant Free Amp VST plugin that you can use on Reaper called Freeamp by Fretted synth. Some amazing presets, delay, chorus, flanger, phaser, pitch shift. It's really worth a go. That's how I get round the guitar amp noise. I've also tried most of the things that you have for vocals.

John

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 01:23:05 PM »
Seems like that's the future and I am way behind the curve by mic'ing the amp... Will give it a try...

Getting the gain settings right are a game changer for me right now.

Thanks for the tip

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 02:40:04 PM »
Let me know when you've tried Freeamp. I will be interested in your opinion. For me it was a real game changer  :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 06:37:41 PM »
i'm in no way qualified to offer any advice, but a couple of things i've found useful...

i stick a mic on a stand very close to, and pointing out from the bedroom cupboard...with the duvet (off the bed) draped over the open cupboard doors around and ideally behind the mic and sing into the cupboard...works pretty well for me...clothes in the cupboard seem to help dampen the reflections too.

if you can get a good,clean solid signal recorded...noise shouldn't be much of a problem...move the mic closer to the source if necessary and be positive and definite when recording.

hope that helps a bit  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 06:57:04 PM »
i don't mic my guitar amp anymore...i use garageband on an old (2010) macbook pro...and i find the flexibility of just recording the signal from the guitar straight into a computer leaves all your options open to use whatever amp sims your DAW has to offer during the mix. Though I never venture far from deluxe reverb, plexi and ac30 sounds.

the only downside of not mic'ing my amp is that the neighbours have started speaking to me again  :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 07:09:34 PM »
Paul - Totally agree direct input and FX on guitar. The neighbours are probably muttering "There's that weird bloke who we saw singing into his cupboard with a duvet on his head !"

;)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 12:35:15 PM »
Can't find that particular one for Windows 64-bit but of course a million others. There goes my weekend.

Just need 64 bit duvet now. Perhaps a gap in the market - specially sound-treated of course, could charge a fortune, those home recorders will buy anything...

johnlondon

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 01:53:57 PM »
Hi Guys, baffled by the above conversation, but would this be a useful proposition.

regards John
I came in from the wilderness a creature void of forum

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 12:31:37 PM »
Oh yes !!! The duvet trick is great  :)
Just need to get rid of those flippin pppppps mow

John

Kristupas

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 08:12:52 PM »
Cubase has a great plugin : Denoiser. (if you're trying to remove the hiss)
Does the job really well.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 08:33:32 PM »
Singing across the mic rather than into it - especially on the "explosive" sounds...and backing off the mic in places - is a good idea too...pop filters are cheap - £15 or so - and are really useful too  :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 08:05:34 AM »
I think that is a great list of possible causes

The whole "gain staging" issue is REALLY important and there is a lot of bad advice floating around that is based on the "old days" of recording to tape when you needed a really hot signal to combat hiss etc.

Nowadays you can actually record at much lower levels so you don't need to push pre-amps very hard, which should help with noise

Also, don't forget the gain staging through effects and busses - eg if you go through a compressor and then an eq be careful that the "make up gain" out of the compressor doesn't overload the eq - and if you do a lot of eq boosting make sure the signal isn't too hot for the track/bus

Background noise and room acoustics are well worth considering and the DIY vocal booth and hanging duvets are great ideas

If you are wanting to produce decent stuff I would say a pop shield is an absolute must have

The mics from Rode have a really nice intergrated pop shield that will ensure it is always in the right place

My "goose neck" pop shield has gone a bit limp so I need to wrestle it in place!

In my experience there are 2 key things I use to combat "noise"

1 - go through all of your clips and cut out "dead space" - eg if you are recording backing vocals and have a whole track of the mic recording but you only sing in parts - delete the gaps and put a fade in and out on the individual clips that are left

The noise of one mic may not sound much but the cumulative effect of lots of "ambience" can really build up

2 - EQ - use eq to take away frequencies that are not needed for that part. Eg I had a noisy bass guitar that had a lovely tone but was very "hissy". Fortunately the hiss was in the higher frequencies so a low pass filter was able to knock the hiss back and leave the lovely bass tone
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz