konalavadome

Proposed new criteria for being considered

• 26 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 10:51:58 PM »
I'd perhaps like to see the moderators simply pick a song of the month as winner and leave it at that...they could announce and explain the decision on the podcast and Bob's yer Uncle.

Democracy's overrated  ;)

I'll second that - great idea!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 11:51:16 PM »
Verlon,
          iv'e sent you a PM but i'm not sure if i'm just
sending the message to myself,over and out,
                                                              tom.

It came through twice.  ;o) 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 11:56:28 PM »
I'd perhaps like to see the moderators simply pick a song of the month as winner and leave it at that...they could announce and explain the decision on the podcast and Bob's yer Uncle.

I've been really fascinated by the count.  Particularly since I'm taking first, second, and third place votes.  The choices are sooooooo varied and it's fascinating how each person voting sees things so differently. 

I wish everyone could experience that vision. 

And, frankly, if the mods were just selecting a song, I'd have no interest at all in it. 

As it is, if/when I'm nominated, I never care so much about winning.  I just am proud to be nominated. 

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 08:16:17 AM »
I used to be in a photo forum, where there was a rule as you suggested, and I think it did not work. Once you missed out of voting a month, you somehow fell out of the process and there was hardly any motivation to get back in.

I don't know if it is possibly or easy with the board software, but making the voting thread sticky, or even including a nag screen until you have posted everytime you log on and visit the respective subforum, might help to generate more votes (which - on the other hand - might lead to more work for the person who has to count the votes... ;-) ). Also a poll would probably be easier than sending a PM.

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 09:47:33 AM »
It can be as simple as picking five songs you think are deserving AFTER you have determined who is eligible.  When I do it, the first thing I do is make a list of ineligibles (those with fewer than 100 posts) so that I don't have to wade through every post for the last six weeks.  THAT is the complex part.  

When you put it that way Verlon... you guys do a grand job. To be honest it works pretty well as it is and the forum is better for having it.... and I enjoy listening and voting. I would be honoured to run the competition some time in future - probably not this time though, I'm sure there are others ahead in the queue.  

I agree with Wolfini in that it could probably made more prominent and attractive with a few IT tweaks - but only if there is someone with the skills to do it. I guess it is the community rather than any fancy IT that makes the site work so well.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:55:23 AM by Doodles »

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 02:38:24 PM »

I've been really fascinated by the count.  Particularly since I'm taking first, second, and third place votes.  The choices are sooooooo varied and it's fascinating how each person voting sees things so differently. 

I wish everyone could experience that vision. 

And, frankly, if the mods were just selecting a song, I'd have no interest at all in it. 

As it is, if/when I'm nominated, I never care so much about winning.  I just am proud to be nominated. 

Is anyone really concerned about winning? The competitions are really about providing motivation to put pen to paper, to write perhaps around a theme that we wouldn't usually write around. 

Paul

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »
The SOTM isn't a themed competition.

And of course we're concerned about winning. Who wants to be a loser?

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 05:27:31 PM »
Paul (Wicked Deeds):   YOU WROTE:  Is anyone really concerned about winning?

MY REPLY:   
Good question.   I really didn't communicate as well as I should have.  I DO 'care about winning.'  

But.... as you say, "Democracy is Overrated."  

Particularly when it comes to judging something as elusive, abstract, and arbitrary as "quality" in a Democratic vote.  

Let's just say that I seldom trust a democratic process to define "best."  That is what I should have communicated.  

When I chose nominees for this SOTM contest, I was not (and still am not) certain that I got the "best five."   And, if I were asked to authoritatively name a "best one" I would not trust my own judgment at all.  It has been soooooo fascinating to see the votes come in whenever I have done this.  

It's even more fascinating with the extra layers of votes with the "top three" concept.  

I've learned a lot about songwriting just watching those votes come in and seeing the "second and third place strength" of a couple of the songs.  Learned a lot about listening.  It's actually changed me in a good way (I think). 

But no matter what, when we are done, I will have no real faith that I have done a perfect job of selecting the "five best" and/or that the votes perfectly reflect the quality of the five songs.  

For me, being nominated is the primary honor, and winning would be nice, but I try not to get "too high" over winning, or "too low" over not winning.  

I'm glad you made me think and (through clarifying it to you) bring that understanding to the front of my mind.  

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 05:30:28 PM by hardtwistmusic »

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 05:31:30 PM »

And of course we're concerned about winning. Who wants to be a loser?

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

See my clarification to Paul (Wicked Deeds) just above this post. 

mondobongo

• Open Mic
    • My pages at BandCamp
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 01:32:04 AM »
Hi guys
I have just arrived here and amazed at the quality of all the songs I have heard. Great stuff!

However, I am still finding my way around and came across this thread which I find a bit confusing. Does this really mean I can't post any songs in the Songwriter Forum until I have made 100 posts?

I have spent most of today listening to music at length, usually a couple of times for each song, critiquing them and also posting on other pages. I won't be able to spend a whole day at this again so it will take me a considerable time to build up 100 posts. As a newbie I find this very discouraging as I am very keen to post some music. While I appreciate that you want to discourage "day trippers" who come in, post a song then disappear, there should be a happy medium and setting the bar at 100 is perhaps asking too much. Wouldn't 20 be OK?

Well that's my tuppence worth/two cents. And way-hay if nothing else I have just increased my number of posts by one! ;D

Cheers
Mo

MartiMedia

• Solo Gig
    • MartiMedia
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 01:42:16 AM »
Hey my friend sorry you felt that way! Great to have ypu around and plz share your music! The 100 posts rule only goes for 'being considered' as a song/lyric of the month nominee... Have fun here MB!
MM
https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/tracks
https://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia

Most recent collab (October 2015): Never Mine To Keep - Jambrains and Martimedia
http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/song-reviews/never-mine-to-keep-(jambrains-martimedia-collab)/

My 'best' track (Winning track of this board's 'Dreams' 2015 summer competition):
https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

mondobongo

• Open Mic
    • My pages at BandCamp
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 09:39:35 AM »
Hi MM,

Thanks for your quick reply and for your positive response and warm welcome.

That's great news to my ears and I shall head on over and post a song. I'm not too concerned about being included in the SOTM (yet) but would simply love to hear a critique on my work.

Once again, many thanks
Best Wishes
Mo