konalavadome

All I Want in This World - 1st mix

• 16 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« on: October 04, 2015, 02:17:56 AM »
Hi guys

Every now and then I've gotta crank out a 3 banger old school country waltz.
Just 3 chords and keep her short and sweet  ;D
Well it is short but I'll let you decide if it's sweet  ;D

NOW IN FINISHED SONGS SECTION - THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT

Lots of tweaks still to do in the mix and needs a tick/tock effect for the second break. I would be interested in any comments on the song/arrangement/vocals and choice of instruments..

Thanks!
Paul

All I Want in This World
Copyright 2015 Tennyson Road Music

My whole life is a puzzle
That's been missing a piece
Then you came into the frame
And you made my heart beat...
Slip this ring on your finger
Make my picture complete
All I want in this world
Is for you to love me

I don't want to be famous
I don't want to be rich
No, those things are over-rated
They don't make my heart tick ..
So say "I will" to my proposal
While I'm down on one knee
All I want in this world
Is for you to love me

You turn me on with your kisses
You fire me up with your love
And every morning drive me senseless
When I feel your heart throb..
I'll do my best so I can get you
Anything that you need
But all I want in this world
Is for you to love me

I'll never be rich and famous
I'll never be Donald Trump
No, those things are over-rated
They don't make my heart thump ..
So take my hand and let's go dancing
To our own symphony
All I want in this world
Is for you to love me

Take my hand, we'll go dancing
To our own symphony
All I want in this world
Is for you to love me
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:19:44 PM by Paulski »

johnlondon

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:53:28 PM »
Excellent Paul, I assume this style is your home turf, you seem very comfortable with it.

Music, vocals and production all A1 to my ears, but I`m a novice musically so can`t offer advice on the issues you mention. But the lyrics make a very good love song in any style, especially the bridge.

You set a high standard for others to follow.
I came in from the wilderness a creature void of forum

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 09:36:32 PM »
Nice song, Paul.

The lyrics are excellent, playing, production and vocals are excellent, too.

It's a real purdy toon...the kind of thing i've often heard on the radio. Mission accomplished, I'd say.

I don't really think I'm a country boy, however...although I did enjoy "Dallas" and always fancied a crack at Crystal Gayle :)

great work, though!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 08:40:19 AM »
Just sounds like an excellent country track to me..radio ready my friend..
nothing wrong with cranking out a 3 chord very good song,

best, kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 09:31:42 AM »
Hi Paul,mission accomplished as far as the song is concerned,it works. A bit of slide guitar is the only instrument / arrangement idea I can think of, otherwise it's very authentic. Some tweaks on the mixing and mastering and your work here is done!
Cheers
Jamie

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 06:35:40 PM »

John, Paul, Kevin and Jamie

Thanks so much guys - TBH I was a little nervous posting this one as it didn't seem up to the level of sophistication other stuff on this forum is at. You've boosted my confidence so that now I can finish it off. Appreciate the kind remarks!

Paul

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 11:14:15 AM »

John, Paul, Kevin and Jamie

Thanks so much guys - TBH I was a little nervous posting this one as it didn't seem up to the level of sophistication other stuff on this forum is at. You've boosted my confidence so that now I can finish it off. Appreciate the kind remarks!

Paul

Doesn't have to be sophisticated to be good.. :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 01:25:28 PM »
Sounds like a professional song to me. Is that you singing too? - impressed
GTB

mondobongo

• Open Mic
    • My pages at BandCamp
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 06:25:38 PM »
Hey Paulski
What's not to like about three chords, some of my favourite songs are three chord tricks  ;D

Great guitar sound at the start which sets the tone for all round great instrumentation throughout.

I'm really nervous about criticizing anything on here.. but here goes... gulp...
I didn't like the kick drum as the heart beat, it sounded a bit too harsh, a softer kick drum or a nice "lub dub" sample would be nicer. The heartbeat is going to be the main hook in the song so you have to get that spot on. In saying that I think the kick drum works well for "They don't make my heart thump..."

I think the song is crying out for "My heart skipped a beat" followed by a little gap of silence.

Right, I can relax now...
The arrangement is good, the intro is just right. The lyric is good, the vocals crisp and clear. The song has a lovely flow to it and a great upbeat feel. Although at first glance 2:20 seems too short for a song it is in fact just right here, nice and concise.
I think it all sounds nice and polished. Very professional and sets the bar high for the rest of us.

Best Wishes
Mo

EDIT: I'll have to eat my words. Have now listened to this a few times today and that kick drum is really grabbing me now. Love the keychange at 1:05. I'm really hooked on this song now. Nice one.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 09:17:41 PM by mondobongo »

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 03:21:22 PM »
Sounds like a professional song to me. Is that you singing too? - impressed
Hi GTB
Thanks for the nice compliment!
Yeah - you can blame the vocals on me :)
Paul

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 03:26:39 PM »
Hey Paulski
What's not to like about three chords, some of my favourite songs are three chord tricks  ;D

Great guitar sound at the start which sets the tone for all round great instrumentation throughout.

I'm really nervous about criticizing anything on here.. but here goes... gulp...
I didn't like the kick drum as the heart beat, it sounded a bit too harsh, a softer kick drum or a nice "lub dub" sample would be nicer. The heartbeat is going to be the main hook in the song so you have to get that spot on. In saying that I think the kick drum works well for "They don't make my heart thump..."

I think the song is crying out for "My heart skipped a beat" followed by a little gap of silence.

Right, I can relax now...
The arrangement is good, the intro is just right. The lyric is good, the vocals crisp and clear. The song has a lovely flow to it and a great upbeat feel. Although at first glance 2:20 seems too short for a song it is in fact just right here, nice and concise.
I think it all sounds nice and polished. Very professional and sets the bar high for the rest of us.

Best Wishes
Mo

EDIT: I'll have to eat my words. Have now listened to this a few times today and that kick drum is really grabbing me now. Love the keychange at 1:05. I'm really hooked on this song now. Nice one.
Thanks Mo
Actually you picked up on sth that does need fixing. I wanted to add some ticking on top of the kick when I sing "make my heart tick" - maybe just a side stick or sticks there. And I tried a sound effect "throb" but that sounded ridiculous :). I like your idea of finding a diff kick -maybe sth warmer sounding. Never hesitate to pick nits in my tunes - I'm not easily offended :) and you obviously know your stuff!
cheers
Paul

olivergearing

• Open Mic
    • Oliver Gearing @ Reverbnation
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 08:43:32 PM »
I'm not an expert on country music (despite watching Nashville), but I love what you've done here on three chords.

Lyrics - perfecto, really nice story that flows right the way through. Also the Donald Trump had me laughing...

Melody and BVs, great stuff. The chorus harmonies are really strong and authentic.

The only comments I would make on the production would be to tighten up some of the rhythm section; at some points it feels loses tightness (e.g. intro and key change), however this might be in keeping with the vibe?

Idea for the "thump" sound effect - use the volume knob on your electric guitar to create a pulsing sound - might work  here?

I second the slide guitar idea from Jamie...

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 02:08:21 PM »
I'm not an expert on country music (despite watching Nashville), but I love what you've done here on three chords.

Lyrics - perfecto, really nice story that flows right the way through. Also the Donald Trump had me laughing...

Melody and BVs, great stuff. The chorus harmonies are really strong and authentic.

The only comments I would make on the production would be to tighten up some of the rhythm section; at some points it feels loses tightness (e.g. intro and key change), however this might be in keeping with the vibe?

Idea for the "thump" sound effect - use the volume knob on your electric guitar to create a pulsing sound - might work  here?

I second the slide guitar idea from Jamie...
Thanks for the kind words Oliver!
Yeah I'm no expert on "modern" country but maybe that's a good thing :)
Good idea to tighten up  - I'll look at that.
Do you mean pedal steel guitar or slide (bottleneck)?
My mother tongue is piano so I don't speak guitar very well :)
Paul

olivergearing

• Open Mic
    • Oliver Gearing @ Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 09:48:32 PM »
Hey Paul

Specifically what I mean is turning the electric guitar knob completely down (no sound), then play a note or chord. Then turn the knob up in volume and you get a kind of crescendo sound.

If you did this 3 or 4 times quickly, it might sound like a thump...

Somebody else could prob describe this much better than me!

Lyriclee

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 01:02:11 AM »
This is so good!! Loving the lyrics!! You've Put a smile on my face at 1am with this tune!!

I agree with others, the vocals are spot on an this sounds like it should be on the radio!

Lee