konalavadome

Lyrics and poetry -

• 21 Replies

Dogmax

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 12:18:29 PM »
This reminds me of that old question which came first, poems or lyrics.

One night long ago i was sitting in my local enjoying the second half of my nice cool pint of stout when at one end of the bar poems spoke words of poetry and at the other end of the bar lyrics sang words of songs, but then in contest they got louder and louder.

There was only one thing to do i finish my second half and jump onto the bar and did my riverdance routine and on each side of me poems and lyrics jump up and join me as we sang dance and flow across a river of beer with freedom in our hearts.

Then i woke up with the most enjoyable hangover ever and as sweet Mary would say, Those were the days my friends we thought they'd never end we'd sing and dance forever and a day  (words by the poet Konstantin Podrevskii)

Poetry in motion with Music on that special night and just to let you all know Poems and Lyrics moved in together and are still living happily ever after, all say ahhhh   ;D   ;D

Mark Ryan

• Solo Gig
  • Banned user
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »

One night long ago i was sitting in my local enjoying the second half of my nice cool pint of stout when at one end of the bar poems spoke words of poetry and at the other end of the bar lyrics sang words of songs, but then in contest they got louder and louder.

There was only one thing to do i finish my second half and jump onto the bar and did my riverdance routine and on each side of me poems and lyrics jump up and join me as we sang dance and flow across a river of beer with freedom in our hearts.

Then i woke up with the most enjoyable hangover ever and as sweet Mary would say, Those were the days my friends we thought they'd never end we'd sing and dance forever and a day  (words by the poet Konstantin Podrevskii)

Poetry in motion with Music on that special night and just to let you all know Poems and Lyrics moved in together and are still living happily ever after, all say ahhhh   ;D   ;D

Pat yer a fkn maniac my friend :D I even found myself reading that with an Irish lilt and am now choking for a Guinness in Leo's Tavern in Gweedore :)

Dogmax

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 02:09:50 PM »

Pat yer a fkn maniac my friend :D I even found myself reading that with an Irish lilt and am now choking for a Guinness in Leo's Tavern in Gweedore :)

Ill join you on the bar later and i mean on the bar   ;D   ;D 

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 04:13:27 PM »

HEY PAT

that was bloody good,

and I couldn't have put it better myself the proof is ion the beer

i'll get you one in mate hahahaha

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 10:12:58 AM »
If it was a good idea - it would have been done many times in the past before.
Song Lyrics & Poems........They are both cats but one is a lion and one is a tiger and they don't mix well and are rarely seen together in the wild.....unless forced together in the artificial surroundings of Zoo where it does not feel natural.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 05:27:40 PM »

So are there some poetic words that should be left and not put to music, what do others think?
 :)
Neil

I don't know if there are poetic words that should be left and not put to music.  But I do know that there are words that I should not set to music.  Someone else might hear/see the same words and be inspired, but (like Mark) some lyrics just speak to me and say "leave me alone." 

In the same way (and far more often btw) some instrumental music all but begs me to add lyrics to it.  And some music says "Leave me alone, I am complete as I am."   Some of the music I've written myself defies my attempts to add lyrics. 

It's harder to hear your own compositions saying "Leave me alone, I'm an instrumental" than to hear other people's music saying that btw.  For me, when it's my own music, I only "hear" that message after numerous failed attempts that do not get better with each attempt. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Dan James

• Busker
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 12:31:24 PM »
"I wanna hold your hand" may never make it into a poetry anthology, but how about "Ain't it just like the night to play tricks when you're trying to be so quiet ... (etc)"?

Songs and poems are different disciplines, of course they are, but they do overlap at times. I can't remember the exact quote, but Dylan said, in the liner notes to his first or second album, that anything he could sing was a song, anything he couldn't sing was a poem, and anything that was too long to be a poem was a novel. Something like that.