Rhythm and vocal melodies....

• 8 Replies

Serotonin

• Busker
« on: September 18, 2015, 12:31:26 AM »
Okay...sorry if I'm bending the rules on how often I can post here but, I feel like my previous thread is sort of resolved but there's another issue nagging at me.

Vocals. And I don't mean that I can't sing, I'm learning, I mean writing them. I can write lyrics. I can write a melody or chord sequence fine. What I have never been able to do is either put the lyrics I've written to a good melody or an interesting rhythm or add a vocal melody over one of my instrumental tracks.

This is a serious issue for me. I could provide examples to demonstrate what I mean but I just wanted to start a thread without flooding the whole forum with my stuff...

Anyway, thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 07:54:25 AM »
There is only a posting limit in the reviews forums so flood away here  :D

It would be a good idea to post some examples here

My first recommendation would be to do one of the following:

- create your lyric & vocal melody first and then arrange the music around this (eg find the chords that support it

- make a rough recording of a backing track and then try out vocals on top of this. If you are trying to write your vocal melodies at the same time as playing the backing (eg on guitar or piano) you will not be 100% focused on the "top line" melody and may fall into the trap of singing bland melodies "to the chords" (ie the melody stops before each change of chord) rather than melodies that flow across the chords
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Serotonin

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 10:06:59 PM »
There is only a posting limit in the reviews forums so flood away here  :D

It would be a good idea to post some examples here

My first recommendation would be to do one of the following:

- create your lyric & vocal melody first and then arrange the music around this (eg find the chords that support it

- make a rough recording of a backing track and then try out vocals on top of this. If you are trying to write your vocal melodies at the same time as playing the backing (eg on guitar or piano) you will not be 100% focused on the "top line" melody and may fall into the trap of singing bland melodies "to the chords" (ie the melody stops before each change of chord) rather than melodies that flow across the chords

Okay, examples:

Here's a track that I wrote and I like but I really just can't begin to add vocals :/

https://soundcloud.com/serotonin-17/ocean-song

And here's the sort of thing I aim for - the guitar alone is pretty and the vocal melody adds to it but is still quite free-flowing and doesn't just parrot the guitar.

(BTW, get used to me using this band for examples. They are primary influence, my favourite band and are just generally amazing so...)

Any ideas? Or should I just keep that as an instrumental and start new songs from scratch?

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 08:03:41 PM »
Hi Serotonin,

I see you are interested in drum loops from another thread. I liked Ocean Song, very soothing. If you want to add lyrics I'd add a simple drum loop to the track and try and sing over that. In the Bombay Cycle Club track you posted the singer seems to be using the drums to let him know where he is in the song whilst the guitar floats around.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Serotonin

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 01:40:10 AM »
Hi Serotonin,

I see you are interested in drum loops from another thread. I liked Ocean Song, very soothing. If you want to add lyrics I'd add a simple drum loop to the track and try and sing over that. In the Bombay Cycle Club track you posted the singer seems to be using the drums to let him know where he is in the song whilst the guitar floats around.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Thanks!  :)

I have downloaded a few drum loops, but none really fit that track, partly because most of them are quite rock-oriented and partly because Ocean Song is in a slightly unconventional time signature (that bit at least, I think its 6 8 but I can't remember of the top of my head). So I might have to look for some or find someone with a snare to help me out. Any ideas?  ???

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 06:59:40 AM »
Hi Serotonin,

Hope this helps.

Keith

Thanks!  :)

I have downloaded a few drum loops, but none really fit that track, partly because most of them are quite rock-oriented and partly because Ocean Song is in a slightly unconventional time signature (that bit at least, I think its 6 8 but I can't remember of the top of my head). So I might have to look for some or find someone with a snare to help me out. Any ideas?  ???

Let me know what the time signature is and the bpm and I'll see what I can do. 6/8 is basically 2 strong beats per bar, so you could have bass (or kick) on the one and snare on the 4. Something that simple would give you a base from which to sing.

If I can help I will. Do you use Dropbox?

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 08:05:26 AM »
If it is 6/8 time you should be able to find a loop that fits easily as this is not an unconventional time signature at all

As Keith has said it has 2 strong beats beer bar - but the key is that it will have either a "shuffle" feel or a "triplet" feel

If you look for blues drum loops you will most likely find 6/8 time signatures
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Serotonin

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 03:55:30 PM »
Let me know what the time signature is and the bpm and I'll see what I can do. 6/8 is basically 2 strong beats per bar, so you could have bass (or kick) on the one and snare on the 4. Something that simple would give you a base from which to sing.

If I can help I will. Do you use Dropbox?

yeah it's 6/8.

As for tempo,I can play it in various tempoes but my preference is between 90 and 120.

I have dropbox but don't use it for much  ;D Any help you can give would be great. Thanks!

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 04:43:09 PM »
I generally use drum loops but I think I can knock up a fairly basic drum pattern for you.

I'll pm my e-mail. If you put the wav (or mp3) file in the account and share it with me I'll see what I can do. It may have to wait until the weekend. I'm back at work tomorrow.

Keith