konalavadome

Advice appreciated

• 7 Replies

LauraJay46

• Busker
« on: September 17, 2015, 02:46:15 PM »
hey everyone,

I'm a singer who would like to be a song writer but I'm struggling with writing a song.
I struggle mostly with creating a melody with my chord progressions. When I play a chord, I stay on the same note each time instead of hitting another note in the chord and then the same thing happens when I change chords. A lot of my mates can play a chord and can sing a melody over that and have a song straight away but this doesn't work for me.

Anyone have any advice?
Cheers.  ???  :'(
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:51:33 PM by LauraJay46 »

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 03:18:45 PM »
Hi and welcome!

If you have lyrics, I would suggest try singing a melody that suits the lyrics first (without playing any chord behind it), then figure out what chords work best to support that melody. Often I'm surprised at how this can drive a chord progression into unexpected directions. It also forces you to make the melody rise and fall as the pitch of your voice would when in conversation.

cheers
Paul

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 03:42:01 PM »
Paulski's advice is good.

If you want a more mechanical/methodical approach.....

There are many notes that will work with a chord but there are always 3 to choose from that will definitely work (4 if it's a 7th chord). These are the 3 notes that make up the chord.

If it's an F chord for example, F, A and C will work. If you can play the chords yourself, you can work out which one of these 3 (if any) you're already singing and force yourself to try one of the other two. Perhaps forcing yourself to change every syllable that is on the same chord. Or create a simple rule for yourself such as same note, same note, different note.

When moving from one chord note to another, you can always use the note in between on the way. This is called a passing note.

If you have an F chord again and you are singing and F and then going to an A, the G which sits in between these two will work.

Again force yourself to try these out. If you are having trouble doing this vocally, maybe test out the melody on a piano or other instrument instead or get one of those friends to help you out.

Yodasdad

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 09:03:40 PM »
As the guys say, singing - or indeed whistling, is a great way. Chords can actually hinder sometimes because they can force you into certain direction. Once you've a melody try playing it to a  bass is a good way to develop it. Good luck
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 10:40:30 AM »
Get drunk and chill out, make sure the house is empty and just go for it.......dont be afraid of making a fool of yourself and sing to your chords...something will come out that was not there before. :)

EpiphoneEpiphany

• Open Mic
  • down the rabbit hole
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 11:17:12 AM »
hi :)

I had the same problem with my melodies staying on the same note with every chord in my first year of songwriting, but I eventually got over it somehow

what might help is looking at phrases in daily life, and try to create 5 or 10 different melodies from them
or writing the melody first and then put the lyrics on top

hope that helped

cheers :)

EE

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »
Also...would you be interested in singing on any forum members songs?

That might be a great help for your writing too  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »
Agree with the others. Just record a melody, don't need words, play around with the chords. Also just try laying down a simple drum track and melody on top. It's amazing how you can be inspired !

John