"Noir/Jaune" -- instrumental

• 3 Replies

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« on: September 12, 2015, 01:01:31 AM »
A rehearsal tape of me and the HoP drummer/keys player working out a new instrumental a few weeks ago. In the background, you can hear his 1-year-old baby crying because she doesn't want to nap.

But the dulcet tones of our melodies lull her gently to sleep and by about a minute and a half into it, you can no longer hear her.

Anyway, it's still very rough, as you can tell by my giving instructions to Dave as we play. But I think that it's going in the right direction. I have a few notes already about the arrangement (Dave messed up the transition between the 2 parts), but am open to some more thoughts on instrumentation. Get my wheels turning.

"Noir/Jaune"

And yeah, the guitar is a little bit out of tune. It's a piece of shit instrument that I borrowed from him for the rehearsal.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 02:15:08 AM »
Hey popTodd

No wonder the kid fell asleep - maj7th chords do that to me too.
After you tune everything (the piano too!) You should give it another go but work out a lead line that you can alternate between piano and guitar. As it stands now it sounds like you're fishing for one but not really catching it.

cheers
Paul

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 01:23:45 PM »
You should give it another go but work out a lead line that you can alternate between piano and guitar. As it stands now it sounds like you're fishing for one but not really catching it.

cheers
Paul
For the first part, the piano is just playing a supporting role, comping in the background, there.
But, for the second part ("Jaune") you're right, we still don't have a lead part; trying to work that out with the piano player. But you can hear me giving him prompts as to how to flesh out some of those ideas and build them up. Very broad, vague, open-ended prompts, but prompts nonetheless.

And, as to the tuning: I think that the guitar is just so badly out of tune that it makes the piano sound that way -- it's an electronic keyboard with a very good piano sound. So, I would assume that it's in tune. ;)

Thanks for checking it out.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:25:37 PM by PopTodd »

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 06:27:46 PM »
You should give it another go but work out a lead line that you can alternate between piano and guitar. As it stands now it sounds like you're fishing for one but not really catching it.

cheers
Paul
For the first part, the piano is just playing a supporting role, comping in the background, there.
But, for the second part ("Jaune") you're right, we still don't have a lead part; trying to work that out with the piano player. But you can hear me giving him prompts as to how to flesh out some of those ideas and build them up. Very broad, vague, open-ended prompts, but prompts nonetheless.

And, as to the tuning: I think that the guitar is just so badly out of tune that it makes the piano sound that way -- it's an electronic keyboard with a very good piano sound. So, I would assume that it's in tune. ;)

Thanks for checking it out.
Sounded like my old upright piano - had me fooled. Yeah I guess that would have to be in tune  ;D