konalavadome

Lightning

• 25 Replies

empyreantic

• Open Mic
    • empyreantic's SoundCloud
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 08:55:52 AM »
I'm gonna be very honest on this one - I don't like it. Sorry :-[ Don't worry, though - it seems like most of the others really enjoyed this, so it's probably more a problem with me than the song itself!

My biggest problem with this song is that it sounds exactly like so many other songs... It's über-generic. The chord progression and the panning/pulsating synth sound way too familiar. The lyrics aren't very original either; it's another song about having the time of your life, ie. being a bit too drunk all through the night (#yolo). The last stanza is the best lyrically, in my opinion - "whipping up the perfect storm" is a good one. I agree with DaveD in that the song doesn't sound completely modern - it's got more of a 90s vibe to it.

All this being said, I must confess that this is not in any way my preferred music style, so please take my criticism with a grain of salt ;) I just wish this song would be a bit more original, both in terms of lyrics and musical composition. I felt like I needed to be completely honest here - I only mean to provide you with constructive criticism! ::)
http://facebook.com/empyreantic
http://soundcloud.com/empyreantic
http://empyreantic.bandcamp.com
http://youtube.com/empyreantic

"Feel Your Lines" - Central (John Frusciante)
"There are things that drift away, like our endless, numbered days..." - Passing Afternoon (Iron & Wine)
"Your eyes are open, your heart is open; your life is open wide" - Elevator (Dot Hacker)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 04:18:58 PM »
so is the singer available on the Internet then?
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 06:16:48 PM »
Yosadad,
I think you've pretty much met your brief.
Great central theme/title. It sounds like you've heard it before even on first listen.
On second listen what I heard was more of a current boy band on the verse: Cornershop meets 1D.
The chorus is a big girly one, very radio friendly. Requires a big voice.
In terms of soundscape the synths and the rhythm on the chorus are not quite current/edge but that can be fixed easily.
I think I'd have a gap before the upward key charge.
Last thought 4 mins is a bit long for current radio
Anyway please take or leave these, all in all a really catchy pop song.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 10:46:24 PM »
Lol! Ridiculously catchy! Not the kind of music I usually listen to so I cannot really offer any input on the production but the song itself is indeed a very catchy one. The lyrics won't give you the lyricist of the year award but works perfectly for this kind of track.

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 03:43:52 PM »
Hi,

Glossy synth pads in infinite space and hormone fueled optimism!  Excellent matching of vocals with the music.... great dynamics (Tiny Nit:I would have dropped the drums completely in the middle 8 ).
Infectious....get you moving....disco vibe....with a hook that keeps going in your head after the song is over.  Maybe a little more restraint on the digital delay to sharpen the accents.
A great listen!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 05:48:01 PM »
Interesting comments on this one!
Sounds like you wrote it to a brief so not much opportunity for originality I guess.
To me it's a little too much like disco and given my dislike of that genre I better shut up.
As far as marketability the singer has a strong voice but sounds a little country in places which might hold the track back.

Sorry if this sounds negative - I'm sure the brief guys will love it.
cheers
Paul

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 12:57:20 AM »
This is very very good. There are song great songs on the forum atm and this is one of em.

You have hit your target well with this, the chorus really soars and sells the song, if there is one draw back its that at 4:09 the song is maybe 30 sec too long?

I liked the key change at the end allowed you to repeat the chorus in different way and its effective at that but maybe that is the opportunity to trim the song?

Nothing in this that I didn't like ( apart from the style of song, its just not me ) production sounded excellent and the arrangement apart from length was great. Strong vocals with not a note out of place or timing issue I could spot.

Kudos.

Allan.

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 12:08:20 PM »
Thanks for the continued reviews folks, I'm currently working on a remix taking some of the suggestions into account where possible.

Shadowfax - she is findable on the internet but for reasons I'm not going to go into on here I'm not giving out her contact details at the moment, sorry.

Empyreantic - don't worry at all, it's not the style I would normally listen to by choice either so I can totally relate to your comments.

Allan - high praise indeed coming from you, much appreciated thanks.

Yodasdad.

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 12:53:06 PM »
I think you managed what you set out to do just perfectly. The chorus is really strong and catchy. It is so good that I would wish for it to come in sooner. Because I think this is intended as a dance number, and I guess you have to get the people really moving and singing asap, and two verses + prechorus seem a bit long before the first chorus. Perhaps even start off with a chorus?

Productionwise I think the synth could be louder in the mix?

Overall a great pop hit! Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 11:04:54 PM »
The chorus is totally Gaga... A definite hint of "Edge of Glory" in it I think... I have to say, I don't think it packs quite the same punch that the chorus of that song does... It's like you're going for it, you're going for it, you're going for it, but then you back off a bit, where Gaga would keep going and sock you right between the eyes... BUT it is really good and catchy.

I thought the verse was maybe a bit too clean and bit too guitarry.. The lyrics work; they're not the star of the show for me (that's the chorus, which totally has star quality, as it should!), but they're good, fun pop fare.

I also generally dislike key changes and I totally echo shadowfax's sentiment on them..... But more to the point, I don't think you need it, particularly if you decide to trim some of the length.

Also, someone mentioned they thought the bridge/pre-chorus was too long...I was thinking the same on that too. You've got the four lines of the verse which essentially just repeat, which I think is fine for the verse, but when the pre-chorus does a similar thing, I think it's crying out for a quicker lift and change into the chorus.

But overall, I totally agree with most other commenters that you achieved your goal of young, fun, female power pop really well, and with a bit of tweaking, I'm sure there's an artist out there who would love to take this on.

MartiMedia

• Solo Gig
    • MartiMedia
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2015, 12:11:55 AM »
Hi YD, yeah love the idea! Can definately hear a hit song in this production!
Loved the chorus! Although I like the musical style (some kind of fusion between
classic and modern edm), I think this song would even become better with a
loud beat. Really liked the female vocals in the chorus, wow!!
Thanks for sharing, this song made me happy! MM
https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/tracks
https://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia

Most recent collab (October 2015): Never Mine To Keep - Jambrains and Martimedia
http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/song-reviews/never-mine-to-keep-(jambrains-martimedia-collab)/

My 'best' track (Winning track of this board's 'Dreams' 2015 summer competition):
https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams