Creating a jangly style on guitar

• 11 Replies

RJDG14

• Busker
« on: September 02, 2015, 06:12:28 PM »
I've been absent on here for a while, but finally I'm attempting in a second phase to write music, and am trying this time to create a sound similar to that of the Byrds, REM, and the early Primal Scream music. By this, I mean that jangly sound that you hear on their stuff (not currently in fashion but may become so again in the future).

Guessing that bands normally achieve this using an electric guitar, even if little distortion is used. My question is more whether any other effects are used in order to gain the sound a song by them will have. Is the jangly sound just amplified plain playing, or with reverb, distortion, delay, or another effect? And is there any layering/multiple guitars or only one track?

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 06:19:59 PM »
Getting that jangly sound might be as simple as dialling up a preset in your daw these days. Back when the Byrds recorded, it would have been a combination of the guitar & amp used, the mic used to record it, the desk, and any processing that went on at the same time.

The guitar that's most associated with that Byrds sound is a 12 string Rickenbacker (IIRC). Of course there are lots of different Rickenbackers. Having a valve amp will help get that warmth you hear in the sound, but again not essential.

The guitar & amp combo I use would get a pretty similar sound (although my guitar is only 6 strings) - a fender telecaster and vox AC30 (same setup that Johnny Marr from the Smiths uses/ used.

It's easy to think you can get a particular sound just by having the right gear, but don't forget, a huge amount of any guitar sound comes from the player. Learning to play like the Byrds will go a long way toward achieving your goal.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:43:16 PM »
hello...i've always played rickenbacker guitars...not that they're by any means necessary or that they can't do much more than jangle...i think it's as much to do with playing style and amp settings...a touch of chorus and/or compression can help...and perhaps obviously go easy on the gain on your amp.

Just cruising the presets on a DAW or decent guitar multi fx with amp sims can get you pretty close.

i've always tried to sort of float over the strings and then chip down on them which helps bring out a bit of "chime" and layering would be a good idea as you can hold down the main part on one track and then add the sparkle on top. that's how i try to do it anyhow...hope that helps  :)

ps i try to use a lot of open strings wherever possible and play a lot around the nut

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:16:47 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:50:16 PM »
The janglebox compressor pedals are popular for achieving jangle (the clue is in the name  :)), I have The Byrds version but there are two or three models. Other compressor pedals can also produce jangle.

If I recall correctly Roger McGuinn had a compressor built into his Rickenbacker to create the jangle.

Hope that helps.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 11:30:56 AM »
Would the plectrum/pick play a part? Is there a certain guage that would work better for a jangly style?

I tend to fingerpick myself, which to me doesn't seem to lend itself to a jangly sound... as mush as I love Johnny Marr.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 11:34:33 AM »
I would say a thicker/ harder plectrum would be more jangly because of the harder attack, but as someone else said, play close to the bridge for maximum jangly-ness. Also, experiment with a few different picks as materials & your picking style will also make a difference.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 07:30:14 PM »
You've some great feedback to your question. Whilst FX's will help and single coil guitars, fender/vox amps are definitely part of the sound I think the play you strum and pick is the key. Indeed for rhythm parts I often just use the back on my nails to strum the electric like you might an acoustic. And then then overlay with picked notes from the chords, pan left and right and you should start to get a good jangle.
I'm lucky enough to have a electric 12 string but there are some fx and probably some VST's that may do an approximation.
Good luck
Neil 
songwriter of no repute..

Jangle123

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 02:29:44 AM »
I love jangly music and I use a Telecaster and a 12st electric by a company called Revelation, It is modeled on a jazzmaster style guitar with p-90 pickups

I don't really use any effects for my 12st guitar but when I play my Tele I play with the bridge pickup and add spring reverb, chorus and the slightest bit of compression.
I heard Johnny Marr recorded 'This Charming Man' on a Telecaster and not the 12st Rick like most people believe.

A lot depends on the type of jangle you want to achieve as I think there is a big difference in Rodger McGuinn and Johnny Marr's style. I've based my two penneth on Marr.

Good luck and don't be afraid to experiment

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 09:00:43 AM »
Totally agree...a telecaster is a great bright chiming guitar...perfect for jangly stuff.

My second favourite guitars  :)

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 02:23:51 PM »
The best thing I have found for this is using some double tracking on the lines.

I have tended to double up the electric guitar (I use a ricky) and then add and acoustic playing the same line on top of that.
You can hear it quite prominently in the 2nd half of my track here:
https://soundcloud.com/t-j-boswell/where-do-we-go-from-here