Writers Block

• 6 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: August 28, 2015, 02:23:36 PM »
Hi All,

My name's John. I'm a South Coast based songwriter. Haven't done anything for years until I decided to see what I could achieve with free recording software. Started off with Audacity and moved on to Reaper. Have written over 20 songs this year, all different genres. Enjoying it immensely.

I'm on soundcloud as pompeyjazz

Looking forward to exchanging some feedback

Cheers

John

Nicolajane87

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 03:13:53 PM »
Hi john,

Welcome to the forum,
I am quite new here and just started songwriting, and I also want to start recording music, I am currently using garageband. I will have a listen to your songs.

Look forward to chatting with u.

Nicola

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 03:16:54 PM »
Yo John

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for taking the time to find and join us; I hope you enjoy being part of our brilliant community.

Tone :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 03:21:05 PM »
Yes, it never dawned on me to join a forum like this. Then I thought, hang on, I've written some songs, let's get some constructive feedback. I can't stop churning them out at the moment  :)

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 10:07:53 PM »
Welcome John. I hope you enjoy your time with us and look forward to hearing your contributions.

Allan.

mondobongo

• Open Mic
    • My pages at BandCamp
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 03:36:23 PM »
Hey John.

Welcome.

Just listened to Cov City Rockers... WOW!
Not what I expected to find on here at all... and I mean that in the best way possible. I thought the songwriting forum would be all ballads but every song I have heard so far has been refreshingly different. This is my favourite so far. I can hear influences from the Undertones to the Buzzcocks but most of all the Clash. Is that really Joe Strummer on lead vocal?

I am amazed that you have achieved these quality recordings on free software. You are obviously a dab hand at engineering/producing.

I've got so carried away I've forgotten to critique the song. My only criticism is that the vocals could have been recorded/mixed better to make them more distinct. The track has great riffs that are memorable. Having played in a band in the late 70s I loved the nostalgia and sentiments of the lyrics. I don't think the arrangement could be improved at all, it's spot on.

UK could we have your votes please..... it's 9/10 from me!

Best Wishes
Mo

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 02:26:34 PM »
Wow Mo - That IS a compliment. And you are absolutely right, Buzzcocks, Undertones and OF COURSE The Clash !!! Just been chatting with one of my former band mates who wrote a verse of lyrics for me and we were saying what an amazing time the late seventies / early eighties was for music. I suppose if you were 18 it did seem more exciting but WOW.

Welcome to the forum anyway and thanks

John

p.s - I am going to see one of my all time favourite bands this week Ruts DC alas minus Mr Malcolm Owen. Should be a great gig