konalavadome

Hangman

• 11 Replies

daviddrymusic

• Busker
« on: August 13, 2015, 11:01:24 PM »
Hello everyone,

Here's my newest demo, Hangman. I bought a Cajon (Drum not chicken) last month, and this is my first time playing it.

This is a song I've had for a while but never got around to recording. I plan to do re-record it but happy enough with this demo at the minute. Let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/daviddrymusic/hangman-demo

Now here comes the rain,
I know it’s in the way of your big vision.
Get out of my way I told you once before,
But did you listen?

Wait in line, rolling eyes,
Wasting light is always your religion.
No more lies, I don’t need your advice,
Come tonight I don’t need your permission.

And I feel the ropes,
Leave me here in my position,
And I feel the ropes,
Cut me down it’s your decision now,
I’ll hangman.

Words get in my way,
I know it isn’t fair but did you listen?
All I never said is all I ever meant,
The point you’re missing.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 11:18:35 PM »
I like the song, The guitar and vox are done well. Effective treatment in the vox. You have built some nice dynamics into this, the breakdown at 1:25 is particularly effective.  

Instrument wise I couldn't detect a bass unless its very low in the mix. You deffinately need a bass sound in the track. I think you could make more of the cajon, it sounds pretty dull, some eq should be able to bring some of the sound out better. The guitar may be better with a cleaner sound as it shares the same frequencies as the vox and they could do with a bit more separation. Perhaps try and find a space for each of them. Normally a cajon implies to me a live performance so that is why I was thinking a cleaner sound might fit better to give a cleaner more acoustic sound to the track.

I liked the melody lines a lot and the diversity in the dynamics and playing of the guitars were the highlight for me. Very enjoyable listen.

Allan.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:22:19 PM by seriousfun »

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 12:20:57 AM »
Very nice in my opinion.   The vocal melody is intriguingly "at odds" with the instrumental in a very good way.... keeps the listener expecting one thing and delivers something just different enough to create a very nice creative tension, then "resolves" the tension nicely. 

The tension between instrumental and vocal is (to my ears) an entirely positive thing - creating interest, but never annoyance. 

As with all of your songs, this is very well performed, creative, original, and listenable.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Joolz

• Busker
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 03:29:21 AM »
Hey,

I think your voice is great and really makes the song. The only thing I can say is I think the song would be much better if you considered slightly changing/removing some words from the chorus as it seems a bit rushed. For example in the second line I think you could go without the 'always' and the 3/4th line wouldn't need the 'your'. As a listener I'd understand that it'd be aimed at the subject of the song anyway. You've got a great sound for sure though :D!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 07:59:25 AM »
I too really enjoyed the guitars and vocals (maybe a bit heavy on the reverb but quite Manchestery I thought).

Drums are always an issue for non-drummers (though this is the modern world and it's fascinating how we now all are getting involved in every aspect of the sound). I didn't miss them here - I found it hard to really listen to what was going on percussion-wise but I thought the overall rhythm sound was fine - and a bit less archetypal Western music than if you'd had them.

The lyrics did leave me wondering, which is probably a good thing. I might have wanted to think about a couple of things - "I'll hangman" (I'll hang, man?) is a bold choice (like let's Marvin Gaye?) and original but perhaps needed supporting by the verses, otherwise it sticks out on its own a bit. Along the same lines, I didn't know why the rain was important in the first line - unless it's a metaphor. But I thought that might have been an opportunity for reinforcing the main theme. Of course, this may be me missing the point!

A really nice original listen!

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 05:56:31 PM »
As a demo it hangs together pretty well. Got a good groove and you've got a good voice for this style. :)
Just bought a Cajun drum box recently myself but not recorded with it yet.
I don't think this needs much to complete it. Something in the bass area perhaps, but it would have to be quite a sparse part IMO.
Of course you could go for the full arrangement band / orchestral, but as an unplugged tune it really works.
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 10:53:27 AM »
raw / live feeling to this - got me right away.

small disappointment when the voice came in. volume balance does t work 100 % (think the vox should be a little more quiet in the verses) - too much reverb for me and smaller intonation issues.

the instrumental sets a standard that the voice can t cope.

the song itself is really good

B

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 08:48:40 PM »
I really liked the "lo-fi" indie feel to this

The vocal level was fine for me as I felt it worked well having a bit of "distance" - however I didn't like the variation in vocal level

I would spend some time "riding the fader" to balance this out a bit

It is a shame you haven't captured the "feel" of the cajon drum as it is very "lacklustre" - I would definitely experiment with mic placement and EQ treatments as the percussion is definitely adding something to the song
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 07:38:01 AM »
David, Like the vibe and vocal fx. Good gentle build to the chorus and the breakdown at 1.25, cleaver.
Good dynamics.
Shades of the Verve in there.
Good luck with it.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

DaveD

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 08:52:54 PM »
Really good song.

I liked the fx on the voice (sounded like there was delay in there along with reverb?) but feel it could have been used more sparingly - possibly having certain sections with a dryer sound  as it was a little distracting after a while.

But anyway that's just a personal taste/production thing. The song itself (lyrics, melody, structure etc ) was excellent. Reminds me of some great late 90s British bands (The Verve, Oasis etc )

Cheers

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 09:28:56 PM »
I enjoyed this. Love that dirty rhythm guitar in there.
I'm not a big fan of the echo effects on the vocals but no-one else seems bothered so it's just me  ;D Could stand some bass guitar.
Good vocals too - liked how it resolves to a major chord in the chorus.
Sounds like a Cdn band - the Tragically Hip and that's a complement!
Paul

Jack Ryper

• Busker
  • I just want to be remembered.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 12:35:10 AM »
I liked this, I enjoyed the guitar a lot.
I didn't really like the echo on the vocals, I think your voice is good and the song would sound a lot better without it.
Overall I think its a good song. :)