konalavadome

Dylan in concert - not sure I would go again...

• 5 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« on: July 24, 2015, 09:42:40 PM »
I had to see him as he came to my town and he is a(n) historic figure. 

VERY slick band (lead guitar didn't quite do it for me but there were a host of country instruments over the top so it wasn't necessarily much of a lead guitar band). Very competent country-rock-blues with an unmistakable vocal. Quite cool. 

But I didn't love it. In these days where we all want experiences, and artists make more from gigging than recording, I just wanted and expected more.

Before anyone asks, it's not that I wanted to hear the old stuff (he even did some sort of reimagined version of Blowin' in the Wind - which I really didn't like). And I know that he isn't Robbie Williams. But I just missed a teeny bit of personality - an anecdote or a wise phrase out of all that history. Or an intimate guitar-bar-stool moment. The only spoken words he gave us were 'We're gonna leave the stage now, we'll be right back', before taking his tea break in the middle of the set.

So for me, tick in the box and probably wouldn't go again. At one point over my euro 7,50 beer I thought I would never normally go to a country-rock-blues concert (about two thirds full by the way) so why now?

I think a bit of added value would have made all the difference...  Compare with Sir Elton and Sir Paul who exceeded my expectations...

Rant over. Am I being unfair?!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:47:15 PM »
No unfair at all. Just because he's a legend with an incredible body of work behind him, doesn't mean he's an amazing or engaging performer. So many years have passed since his iconic work (I must confess, I haven't kept up with Mr Zimmerman, although I did enjoy Duchesne Whistle) that maybe he's lost his touch.

You can give due respect to the man's body of work while still not enjoying his performance. At least the band was good, eh? ;)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 08:50:44 AM »

I saw Dylan about 18 months ago and will see him again in November. I thought he was great and enjoyed the low key vibe and the new material he played. There were a number of people in the audience who I believe were expecting a greatest hits show and so probably left disappointed.

The same thing happened at a Jackson Browne concert late last year, he played a lot from his latest cd, Standing In The Breach. He told amusing stories explaining how the songs came about etc  and it was brilliant but a lot of the audience just looked bored until he started playing the old stuff.

I don't think the problem is the artist losing his mojo etc I believe it's the people who attend who are stuck in the past, haven't listened to the newer material in years and just expect a greatest hits show.  You can get that from some artists but not Dylan or Jackson and long may they continue as they are the real deal.

P.S
That was not a dig at anyone here just an opinion based on my observations when attending these gigs.

Glen

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 11:34:47 AM »
I watched one of my all-time favourite songwriters recently, the legend that is Albert Hammond. It was just him with an acoustic and a couple of guys behind who doubled on bass, keyboards, mandolins, etc.
The man himself was incredible. Of course he has a back catalogue to compare with anyone, but it wasn't just the songs: it was his easy-going way and the banter with the audience. He was a total all-round entertainer. He told us all about how he came up with some of his hits (and how he bought his mum and dad their first house with the proceeds from 'Little Arrows').

If he's ever down your way, I urge you good people to pop along and have a fantastic evening with the man.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 08:33:10 PM »
I watched one of my all-time favourite songwriters recently, the legend that is Albert Hammond. It was just him with an acoustic and a couple of guys behind who doubled on bass, keyboards, mandolins, etc.
The man himself was incredible. Of course he has a back catalogue to compare with anyone, but it wasn't just the songs: it was his easy-going way and the banter with the audience. He was a total all-round entertainer. He told us all about how he came up with some of his hits (and how he bought his mum and dad their first house with the proceeds from 'Little Arrows').

If he's ever down your way, I urge you good people to pop along and have a fantastic evening with the man.

Compare with Clapton who plays with no crowd verbal interaction at all,then walks off. I enjoyed the concert,but there is no craic with the man at all.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 01:00:35 PM »
Saw this today from Lefsetz re how Culture Club (yes, really) brought him round: "maybe it’s all about the show. And Culture Club’s was so good, so entertaining, made me smile so much that I told myself…I WANT TO SEE THIS AGAIN!"
http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2015/07/25/culture-club-at-the-greek/

For a die-hard fan maybe there is not a big difference, but for the merely interested, I think the craic is really important.