SongWriterSelect Episode 4 - Chord Theory

• 32 Replies

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2019, 06:14:50 AM »
This is extremely helpful. . . and timely in my case.   

I've been franticaly learning on my own just to get advanced enough so that I can comprehend and utilize these types of posts.  Really, until you have achieved a "critical mass" of information, new information all looks like gibberish. 

I "got" most of this, and I can (if you don't mind) cut and paste it into a document and study it and gain a greater "critical mass" of understanding. 

Thank you. . . thank you. . . thank you. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 06:18:22 AM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2019, 11:41:43 AM »
@hardtwistmusic

I am sooooooo pleased to hear that - copy and paste away!!

The reason for doing this podcast, and writing up the theory bit, was to try to achieve EXACTLY what you have described - pull out and distill the bits of music theory that are directly relevant to songwriters

I do have a "life long goal" to produce a book (and or other mediums such as video etc.) that simplifies music theory, recording and production in to a single resource for songwriters and musicians to get them up and running as quickly as possible

Unfortunately "time" is the big barrier but it is still very much in my "life plan" and feedback like this helps keep me focussed on trying to achieve the goal

If you have any questions at all please post them here and tag me in

Cheers

Boydie
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Elian

• Busker
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 10:25:18 AM »
I do have a "life long goal" to produce a book (and or other mediums such as video etc.) that simplifies music theory, recording and production in to a single resource for songwriters and musicians to get them up and running as quickly as possible

I fully support you in this journey of putting together this modern composer's music theory compendium. I have yet to come across one that's adapted to the day and age we're living in and that's a pity because as awesome as classical music and composers might be, the works they make students study in the existing textbooks are really off-putting and irrelevant for the young composers who just want to make music for today's audience.

I've studied music theory for more than 12 years both in school and independently and don't get me wrong, loved every minute of it as opposed to my peers who hated it. But even I had to admit what's taught today in an academic environment and the resources you find out there on music theory do little to nothing for the modern composer.