What are you writing about or recording/your latest project

• 12 Replies

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:56:18 PM »
Hello,

I'm currently recording a song called 'Blinded.' It's about beauty which is associated with youth and how it lasts only a short time.  I'd love to hear from the writers on this forum about their current projects and how they are approaching them!

Thanks,

Paul

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 10:44:35 PM »
Well, we just started recording a new song (or 2). Its a slightly complicated one timing wise so I'm putting some drum tracks together to play to. Im finishing lyrics at the same time and we are practising the harmonies...
Plus waiting for a mic to arrive to record the guitar, which is a bore :S.
No title yet, but a working title of 'Grosmont'.
Approaching it at an angle of 55 deg and a slight dip.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 12:19:38 AM »
I'm at something of an impasse with my current song. I started it a couple of months ago and has a verse melody & harmony I really like. But I just can't finish it. It's really close to being finished, but it just lacks that directness I'm looking for. I wrote another song after I started this one and finished it - called 'motionless heart' - and if anything it's made finishing this one harder because it just fell into place so quickly.

I have several pages of lyrics, none of which is quite right. The song is a waltz (both my new songs are, strangely) and has a nice quirky feel. So please can you all send me song-finishing vibes so I can nail this one down and move on.

Looking forward to hearing all your projects in progress.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 06:09:23 PM »
Hey Ramshackles,

Be sure to post your song when it's complete.  What are you using to construct your drum tracks and do you find drum programming easy or like I do, a little bit of a challenge.  I can do it, but never look forward to programming drums.

Paul

Hi tone,

tell me some more about the song that you're struggling to complete.  Are you having problems with the chords, lyrics, perhaps both or something else. I know that songwriting can be quite personal, but I'd be happy to offer help.  It may be that I can't suggest something appropriate, but I don't mind listening to your song and thinking about a solution to the problem.

Paul
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:36:28 PM by pablo »

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 06:37:08 PM »
Hi Paul

That's a kind offer. Can you PM me your email address and I'll make a sketch recording to send you for your valuable feedback :)

It's not a single element of the song I'm struggling with; it's a combination of the lyrics and the melody/ progression in the chorus. I can feel how I want the song to sound, I just can't seem to nail it in the writing....
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 09:35:27 PM »
Well, I use Cubase for recording and 'StormDrum' for programmed drums. Drum tracks can be a pain, the hardest thing is doing fills/rolls. But I think that with this song and possibly future songs, the final track will be recorded by a real drummer somewhere. More difficult for me is usually getting a good acoustic guit. sound

rossanne

• Busker
    • Rossanne Hamilton Official Website
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:17:54 PM »
Hi,

Well, I've just finished launching a double EP, which has all my favourite songs I've written in the last (gasp) 8 years, and now contemplating the next album! It's a bit scarey but exhilerating starting again. Have three new songs now, at least one won't ever be performed though I think. One of the others I got stuck on bridge/chorus lyrics and so have been playing it live with la-ing in those bits, not sure if I need some lyrics to go with it. Struggling now not to write something that sounds too similar to what I've written before. So I'm on the look-out for other musicians to join in with and shake me up a bit :). I've also had a first verse to a song for a while now that I desperatly love and want to finish, but I stopped writing the lyrics when I 'felt' them, and haven't captured the feeling since. Damnit! Oh well, so it goes  ::)

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 12:02:46 AM »
Band-wise we're working on one song called bad time (written entirely by the guitarist) which is in some horrible time signature that we can't figure out...
The other 2 songs are chess and superhero (lyrics for both are elsewhere on the forum)

Lyrically I have 3 projects going, each at different stages. One is almost complete and is a slow jazz-rock song. The next has the idea and some of the lyrics done and is an upbeat big-band track. The third is more a concept at this stage and is meant to be a massively theatrical and baroque track (think vaudevillian)
Defective Elector

Kafla

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 04:49:47 PM »
I am staying away from pop just now and am writing something different on guitar

I have this weird chord sequence, slide thing going on

The first two lines which keep repeating themselves are

She came in like a graveyard, kissed me like a headstone

So I am going to run with this but I have no idea really what it's all about yet :D

rossanne

• Busker
    • Rossanne Hamilton Official Website
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 04:59:17 PM »
[quote author=Kafla link=topic=941.msg6069#msg6069 date=1308239387

She came in like a graveyard, kissed me like a headstone

So I am going to run with this but I have no idea really what it's all about yet :D
[/quote]

Interesting lyrics! I'd be up for listening to it when it's finished

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 04:59:50 PM »
Amongst other works in progress I'm fiddling with a little piece from a very old idea that flits between 7/4 & 6/8 time. Got a a sort of Latin feel. No lyrics but a working title of "When Carnival Comes"
I've a feeling that my percussion skills are going to be taxed on this one.  :P ;)
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Dutchbeat

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »

all current projects and ideas sound interesting from the songwriters that responded!
we are currently working on thé overseas duet between Mrs. Dutchbeat and Liam

lyrics are ready and great (Liam's work), chords and melody is about ready in first draft (my project at the moment)

and then we can go for overseas recording of duet singing parts between northern ireland and the lowlands!
(well, all via e-mail)
the budget unfortunately does not allows us at the moment to fly back and forth to record together ;D)

but I think you can tell, I am excited about this project :o

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 10:26:36 PM »
Hey all.

First off, glad to have found this forum. You guys are so supportive and respectful of each other!

I've been away from song writing, but the other day my mind regurgitated

You taught me how to breathe
Seems only right that I scream your name
&
You taught me how to walk
Seems only right that we run away
&
You taught me how to live
Seems only right that I live my life with you

I see these being big chorusy bits. Got a desperate love kinda vibe to them?

Also this popped out the other day

My first kiss was a bottle of gin
My second a judgemental toilet rim
I'm a mess, I'm a mess, I'm a mess
What a mess I'm in

Haha, bad memories of my first time getting drunk.

Peter
Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.