konalavadome

Brand new musician trying to make EDM music. Sounds incomplete. Please help!

• 3 Replies

a1jakesauce13

• Busker
« on: July 07, 2015, 06:17:57 AM »
I am trying to create EDM music because I love such artists as Calvin Harris and Hardwell. I'm fairly musical and I play an instrument, so I thought making a song would not be too hard. I was dead wrong. I have a general idea for my song, but it does not sound anywhere close to something you'd hear on the radio. The song is only half done and does not have any lyrics yet. The part after the drop is the weakest I believe because it lacks something behind what's already there. So what can I do to improve the song? I'm kind of stuck at the moment and don't know what else to do. I have a lot of plug-is available to me, but I'm not quite sure what they do. Would any of those help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.https://soundcloud.com/1akeauce/the-beginning

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 12:52:32 AM »
Here is what I'm hearing that needs some attention. 

Your song is raising "questions" with the music, then not "resolving" those questions. 

"Resolutions" are what "close the loops" on musical ideas.  You appear to be just repeating ideas, not "resolving," and/or "looping" them. 

I'm reluctant to say more until you discuss with me what your musical background is.  I don't want to insult you by telling you something that you learned years ago.  But I can't really help you unless I understand how you got to where you are going. 

So, let me know how much you understand about the concept of "western notation."  If you already understand that, and still are not "resolving and/or looping" then someone more musical than I will have to help you. 

Let me know. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

sundaysongsmiths

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 07:07:17 PM »
Hi,
New to EDM also but some random thoughts.  The initial drum loop doesn't sound contemporary to us.  Liked the four on the floor beat in the later part of the song much more.  Overall there didn't seem to be enough variation as the song progressed although I understand that you still we be adding a top line and or lyrics so that may be less evident in the finished product. Good job getting started. Enjoyed it.

Regards,
Jay and Mike

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »
your basic problems are..the track lacks dynamics and a tune..it's not enough to find a drum loop and play a repetitive theme over it..particularly if the theme is a bit dull...

your in a minefield with EDM..it's mainly a producers thing and it's very specific in what it is supposed to be..so very easy to criticize..

IMHO if you heard one EDM track..you've heard em all..you've got to do something very special to stand out..
such as the guy who nicked Samuel Barbers Adagio for strings and made an EDM track out of it..there are a few stand out others but most are in the same ball park and do more or less the same thing each time..which can get a little boring to listen to, of course if your popped up in a club then they're all awesome..
which is  ..after all, what they're for.

you should maybe do what a lot of them do..nick a tune from somewhere..
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:38:10 AM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!