what's your day job and how does it impact your music?

• 14 Replies

rossanne

• Busker
    • Rossanne Hamilton Official Website
« on: April 27, 2011, 12:01:58 PM »
Since tone was saying changing to self employed really helped him, i was wondering how jobs effect everyone else -for good and bad. Also nosey and interested in what you do when you're not chasing the next song.

I'm a support worker for adults with learning difficulties. It's shift work so it sucks for social life, but it means i'm at home when housemates are at work so i feel i can experiment without feeling inhibited.

spacedogg

• Open Mic
  • Ooo yes it's up there somewhere
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 12:41:44 AM »
I'm a computer repair dude and i also work in a department store part-time. I'm waiting to hear back about work as a production assistant on a tv show too. Nothing that I get paid for has any impact on my forays into music at all, unfortunately. Sorry. Not very exciting.

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 08:47:49 AM »

Well my main job is looking after my two little 'uns (3 and 1) when my other half is at work.  but I also run my own media company in my spare ( ???) time. (it mainly web work and apps rather than TV and stuff.) Does it impact on my music? um yes, massively.

I have not sat down to record for a long time now because I just don't get the time but I do have a guitar in most rooms of the house and so before I got injured, I would have a strum at every opportunity and write songs in bits whenever I got the chance. I wish I could take say a month off from my usualy life and get all the songs in my head recorded off.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 09:27:38 AM »
As I said in a previous thread I'm a self employed copywriter & web designer. All work impacts on music in my opinion, but I would say that finally I've found the perfect balance for me. During periods of unemployment I've found that my musical drive really goes awry. It's like I need the contrast of something else to occupy my time as a motivator. Being self-employed I get to pretty much choose how much I work (so long as the bills are paid) and I spend the rest of the time making music and writing songs.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 08:29:53 PM »
When I was self employed,,,,I had some fun.. some great times (travelled Europe) and lots of inspiration, but I seemed to be working all the hours available.  :o No holiday pay...no sick pay...18 hour days but with some really interesting people...
It was great for creativity but useless for finding the time to exploit the ideas.  :'( It wasn't until I stopped and got back into the 9 to 5 that I had the time to develop the ideas...
You have to find the balance between inspiration and freedom, earning money to live and time to actually put the ideas down. Unless you're independently wealthy it's always going to be a compromise.   :(

Mihkay
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 09:09:13 PM »
I work full time 8 - 5.30 Monday to Wednesday, 8 - 12.30 Thrsdays. The condensed hours mean I don't have much time at the beginning of the week once I've got back in from work, but from Thursday dinner onwards it's all systems go.

However, it's affected by public sector cuts and that nice Mr Cameron has his eye on getting rid of me.

Chris
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 10:11:38 PM by Sonic-r »

Choogle82

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »
I work in a private school which in fact has the most amazing music department

They have a full studio that I can use when ever it's free, which is almost everyday

I get 1 hour lunch in there and 2hours in the evening so for me it's a god send and worth the bad pay

So I am very lucky that as long as I have a guitar at the office I have music

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 09:47:48 PM »
I work in a private school which in fact has the most amazing music department

They have a full studio that I can use when ever it's free, which is almost everyday

I get 1 hour lunch in there and 2hours in the evening so for me it's a god send and worth the bad pay

So I am very lucky that as long as I have a guitar at the office I have music

Cool. I did that too. I was a tech at a school and I weasled my way into the music dept whenever I could, playing piano when I was meant to be fixing printers etc.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 07:00:44 PM »
sounds very good, Ghoogle

what about weekends, do you have the key?  ;D

postmn

• Solo Gig
  • I am not done listening to myself
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 09:29:45 PM »
i sit and play COD, it doesnt effect me much haha

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 10:13:14 PM »
What, like the fish cod? How do you play a cod?

postmn

• Solo Gig
  • I am not done listening to myself
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 10:20:44 PM »
What, like the fish cod? How do you play a cod?

im joking and OMG! u dont know COD

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 06:25:21 PM »
my day job is phd student, which means I work on music during the night and drink ridiculous amounts of coke. Then I supposedly work during the day but spend most of it trying to think of lyrics and drinking ridiculous amounts of coke.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 09:03:02 PM »
Cool! What's your phd on?
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 09:16:54 PM »
geophysics. And if you wanna know what a geophysicist does, read this:
http://www.ualberta.ca/~unsworth/geophysicist_defn.pdf
:)