Hit Song Contest

• 9 Replies

JakeShives

• Busker
« on: May 30, 2015, 09:06:09 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Jake Shives; I am a Professional Audio Engineer. I have worked with many fantastic artist and have over 10,000 hour of studio time under my belt.

I made a thread elsewhere on this board for my services as a mixing and mastering engineer.

That thread has received many views but has generated zero interest.

My calendar at the studio still has some openings that I would like to fill with mixing projects.

Being that my "ad" on this board didn't generate a response, I thought of an idea for a contest, here goes...

This contest is simple. If you believe that you truly have a Hit song, E-mail me an Mp3 of the tune.

I will listen to each entry, and the top 2 songs with the biggest "hit" potential are the winners.

Once the winners are chosen, I will professionally mix and master the songs at no up-front cost.

I will be personally investing a lot of time and money into these mixes.

To make it worth my while, I will require that my name be listed with the credits of the winning songs, (I.e... "Mixed and Mastered by Jake Shives"), as well as a producer/production credit.

I will also require a certain percentage of ownership of each individual song as well as a certain percentage of royalites generated by each individual song for the remainder of all time. I will discuss and negotiate the specifics regarding the percentages with the winners once they are chosen.

I also have a fantastic A&R connection at Warner/Chappell. I can send your song in to be heard by this connection for an additional cost if that option is appealing to you.

You must have your entry in by June 12th 2015.

Let the contest begin! You can E-mail your Mp3's to JakeShives@Gmail.com

Please make the subject of your email "Songwriter Forum Hit Contest"

Good luck everyone!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 06:09:50 PM by JakeShives »

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 07:31:33 PM »
I think you will find , this 'offer' will be treated with some suspicion. i wouldn't touch this with a long stick i'm afraid.You seem to let the cat out of the bag...i think this is an easy way of you getting a credit on a decent song...royalties and all...

If you come at things from a different angle and build up some 'cred' here and show your skills...you might get some business and the offers you are looking for....good engineers etc...are in demand i would think? ;)

Dogmax

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 10:08:57 PM »
I think you will find , this 'offer' will be treated with some suspicion. i wouldn't touch this with a long stick i'm afraid.You seem to let the cat out of the bag...i think this is an easy way of you getting a credit on a decent song...royalties and all...

If you come at things from a different angle and build up some 'cred' here and show your skills...you might get some business and the offers you are looking for....good engineers etc...are in demand i would think? ;)

Nice one S.T.C 

Totally Agree

Vintage54

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 12:34:35 AM »

Mr Dollar Bill,
        As far as i'm concerned, your'e spent.

Vintage54

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 01:47:01 AM »
Hi

I don't understand how a part ownership of the song can be claimed just because it has been entered into the competition by someone else and won ???

Marrianna

Mark Ryan

• Solo Gig
  • Banned user
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 02:20:58 AM »
For anyone who is stupid enough to send this character your songs....... Don't. There are a million shysters like this out there, and my advice would be to steer well clear of them. If you want your songs professionally mixed and mastered there are plenty on this site who will do it, or else visit a reputable studio. I've never heard anything as underhand in my life, wanting part ownership of songs he played no part in conceiving!!!! A professional producer would never ask you to do that. Producers get paid a fee for their input, not a percentage of royalties

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 02:45:10 AM »
And how can a competition be for a winning song (or two) when all that is required is an MP3 of a tune?
There is no mention of words ???

No mention of a written contract. ???

Claiming part ownership and royalties. :( 'for all time' :o

It is alarming ... and quite outrageous as it reads. ??? :(

JakeShives

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 07:30:34 AM »
Well, I must say, I did not see this coming.

Perhaps this wasn't the best idea, although I have received some entries already.

Because of the backlash this has caused, I will no longer continue this competition.

It was not my intention to steal or be dishonest. I am a professional, and I make a living from Recording and Mixing music.

I thought that this was going to be a good way to do a side project and help out someone who cannot afford a proper mix and master job.

It appears that my idea is not welcome, at all.

If the mods of this board could, please, delete and/or lock this thread.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 08:22:42 AM »
I think the backlash has been generated due to "how" you have approached the forum, rather than what you are offering

I can understand that you want to generate business but you have come across as a little "desperate"

Your first couple of posts seemed to "spam" the boards with you offering your wares across lots of different threads with an immediate "sales pitch"

Then after a few days you change your offer to a competition

I can understand that you were trying to generate interest but to run a competition AND expect a credit don't seem to go hand in hand - it is either a competition with a prize OR you are looking for people to work with

It can be common practice for a producer/engineer to get a "point" (credit) on a song - but this is usually an extra above a certain fee when the producer has the reputation to warrant it - I can't say whether this is true as there is no "track record" posted

The bit I personally didn't like was:

I also have a fantastic A&R connection at Warner/Chappell. I can send your song in to be heard by this connection for an additional cost if that option is appealing to you.

I am sorry but this screams scam to me - why on earth would you charge to pitch a song that you have a credit on ???

I do not think it would be appropriate to delete/lock this thread

I do not think you have been intentionally dishonest or that you have tried to scam people (apart from the additional charge to pitch - IMHO a song is either good enough to pitch or not, there should be no $$$ incentive)

BUT - I think you have a lot to learn about generating business for yourself as you have come across a little amateurish and desperate in your approach - I am guessing you are quite young?

If you approach any other forums I would suggest investing a little time getting to know how it works

You would have seen in no time that this forum thrives on peer to peer reviews and a "community" feel

You could have spent a week or so reviewing songs, introduced yourself properly (without the sales pitch) and then start a dialogue about what services you could offer

I would chalk this one up to experience and if you do stick around get fully involved in the "community" of the forum

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 09:25:36 AM »
Thread locked, user banned. (Thanks Boydie)

[edit]
I already warned this user: if your only reason for being here is to advertise, you can pay for a banner advert.

Please note, I have no objection to active forum members touting their respective services. It's a fair and welcome exchange for the contributions they make to the community.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 10:38:41 AM by tone »
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l