konalavadome

TAXI "The World's Leading Independent A&R Company"

• 8 Replies

David Bolstridge

• Busker
« on: June 09, 2015, 11:46:45 AM »
Does anyone have any experience of signing up with TAXI?  They've sent me a contract but want $200 for the first year and $ per piece, is it worth it?

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 04:55:04 PM »
You haven't given any 'details' but i think i understand how Taxi works...unless you know, you have top notch songs to plug...you are  going to waste your money,,,,,,that sounds a little blunt i know...but i spend money on various services and studio's ..and this is the conclusion i am coming too...having had a certain amount of interaction with the 'industry'. :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 05:29:03 PM »
I can assure you that TAXI is not a "scam" and Michael Laslow (who runs TAXI) is a great guy trying to offer a genuine service to songwriters

It does sound like you have misunderstood what TAXI is though  ???

TAXI offer a service where you pay them a membership fee (around $299 for year 1 I think) and you are then allowed to pitch to opportunities they send you

Unlike a normal "lead sheet", where you pay to get access to leads, you must send your pitches to TAXI first - and then the TAXI screeners (who are all "industry people") decide whether your pitch gets "forwarded" to the label, publisher, music supervisor, music library etc.

TAXI claim that it is this screening that ensures they get robust leads as they separate the "wheat from the chaff" before passing them on

The flipside of this is that you may not ever get a song forwarded out of TAXI, which is where I think  a lot of the negative feedback about TAXI comes from – I agree with STC that the “sour grapes” is usually because the song just wasn’t good enough

Much like a golfer complaining about a golf course because they had a crap round!

The kicker is – as well as the membership fee you also need to pay $5 per song submission

TAXI claim this helps people to focus their submissions (rather than use a  scatter gun approach) and stop just submitting for everything – even pitches that may not be suitable

The $5 also covers the “screener’s fee” – and you also get a critique returned from most pitches telling you why it didn’t get forwarded

Once it has been forwarded TAXI are not involved – it is up to you to negotiate your deal with the person that made the listing (the label, publisher, music library etc.)

TAXI would certainly not send you a “contract” – you either want to join for a year or not

Whether TAXI is actually right for you depends on what you want out of it

IMHO it is a lot cheaper than moving to Nashville, LA, New York etc. and will increase your chance over non-solicited pitching

You pays your money – you takes your choice…
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 05:40:15 PM »
Hey Boydie,

Not sure if my story is any help but here goes. Several years ago, I had a taxi membership which lasted for  a single year. At the time, my friend was producing many of my songs.  I felt that I could have really tapped into the taxi service, had I been able to produce quickly for myself. Shame I can now do that but I don't have the membership - too many other time and financial commitments. I also thought that it would be beneficial to have a finger on the pulse of what was currently happening in the various charts, catering for different genres of music. I didn't pursue my membership but I think you've got the right kind of approach to maximise your chances of success. Learn to write established song formats, produce and remain up to date with current styles. That was my experience of my time with taxi. Anything worth achieving in life,  requires hard work!

Paul
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:44:37 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 06:11:55 PM »
Bit confused here...

Boydie - your last song was a pitch for a TAXI opportunity?

I also get the impression that you know the guy who runs it from your recommendation?

Confused.COM

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 07:02:57 PM »
Boydie - your last song was a pitch for a TAXI opportunity?

The "Hole In My World" was a TAXI pitch (my first) - the theme tune for Dave was not via TAXI

I also get the impression that you know the guy who runs it from your recommendation?

Not personally - although it would be handy if I did!!!

I have done LOADS of research on the "pitching companies" and TAXI / Michael Laslow always come up

From what I have researched, read, seen etc. I am happy that TAXI is not a scam - it is not suitable for everyone - but it is not a "scam"

I found TAXI to be one of the most "up front" of the pitching companies

It is more likely to be TV / Film music placements than scoring a major hit (for the reasons we have discussed a zillion times), however any success is success

The fact that the OP thinks he has been offered a "contract" that he has to pay for does not seem to fit at all - I would love to know further details...

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 10:32:18 PM »
I joined Taxi last year but I intend to let it expire and not renew.
I have read that only 6% of the songs they forward win a successful placement. So even if you do get by the Taxi screener (I batted a dismal 0/12) chances are pretty slim your song will get picked up. I came to the conclusion that to get by their screeners, you will need to spend 100% of your time doing the following:
 - listening to sample tracks they post with each opportunity
 - writing material that closely resembles those tracks (without copying them)
 - recording said songs to a fairly high demo standard
I figure if you can spend 7 days a week doing this you will get some material forwarded and have the 6% chance kick in for the stuff that does.

I decided I didn't like those odds, and that's not how I want to spend my time anyway - but to each his own!

Best
Paul

PS: I asked them if they offered a service where their expert would listen to my song (for a fee) and recommend which publishers would be interested - their response was no - so I guess they're making good enough money from songwriters they don't need to expand their services (or maybe they don't have the contacts they let on to have)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 10:50:19 PM »
I would like to add..i do think these sites can deliver what you want...the same as a pro recorded song can get you a publisher etc...BUT,it has to be high quality work...like every aspect of it....good is not always good enough, in fact it's not enough :(.... 

I have invested in a years tip sheet....and in the 6 months so far, had various interactions with producers and what not...artists*(not major) :) but still up and coming, and had a few leads, nice comments ,but getting a nod is rare...i've had just one so far from a Swedish DJ , who heads a group of small labels....

Remember there's a lot of competition , and they can pick and choose !

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 11:05:02 PM »
I have read that only 6% of the songs they forward win a successful placement. So even if you do get by the Taxi screener (I batted a dismal 0/12) chances are pretty slim your song will get picked up. I came to the conclusion that to get by their screeners, you will need to spend 100% of your time doing the following:
 - listening to sample tracks they post with each opportunity
 - writing material that closely resembles those tracks (without copying them)
 - recording said songs to a fairly high demo standard

I think you are absolutely spot on here Paul

To stand the best chance of getting a forward and then landing a pitch you really need to "write to the pitch"

It is not about writing a good song - it is all about writing a good song that fits a particular brief

I really enjoyed writing to a brief recently so fancied giving it a go so signed up for a year