Question About Gospel Music

• 6 Replies

zero

• Busker
« on: June 09, 2015, 04:43:47 AM »
I write poetry.  I don't play music. My question is, could this poem be set to music? Any help appreciated. Some poetry can't be set to music. Emily Dickinson would be an example.

Based on Review, I rewrote this. I can post the original again if anyone wants to see the changes. There might be problems with the meter so let me know if is sings or not.

* I will glory in His Splendor
   Sing hymns to His Majesty*

But when life gets down and dirty
When I am lost in some dark corner
And my halo just won't shine
Then God will send a sign
Truth is, God is a friend of mine

* I will glory in His Splendor

When the starving hounds of worry
Are howling in my mind
When fear is a stalking fury
With God  I will abide
Truth is, God is a friend of mine

*I will glory in His Splendor

When I have luck, love and money
I forget the faith sometimes
When I am lost in the sea of pride
Trust God to turn the tide
Truth is, God is a friend of mine.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 06:55:34 PM by zero »

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 06:59:00 AM »
Hi, no reason why not. normally have verse and chorus and hymns and I believe gospel follow that format too.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 07:16:48 AM »
Anything can be set to music, but bare in mind that music requires some structure. A two line verse followed by a five line verse and then ending with a nine line verse is going to require a lot off rearranging IMHO.

zero

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 04:17:14 PM »
Would 3 verses of 5 lines be a better arrangement? I worked on this a long time ago. It is still tacked together. I am not altogether content with the 3 lines between "fury" and "Truth. I see that it might be better to make that 9 line verse a 5 line verse, then add one more verse.

I believe that would be 3, 5 line verses. I could incorporate the first two lines into the 2nd or 3rd verse.

Thank you. Now I see a way to finish this.

Amazing to receive such positive and helpful feedback. Really like this forum!

OK, I rewrote it, added a verse and made it equal. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:37:30 PM by zero »

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 10:32:27 PM »
Several things.... 

1.  As someone said, ANYTHING can be set to music.  I set Lincoln's Gettysburg Address to music.  Interestingly enough, I can (for the most part) SING it from memory, but cannot quote it from memory. Eventually, I used the music for something else.... a song called "All Done Believin." 

2.  Your lyric EASILY accepts music.  I was able to sing it with a fairly dramatic vocal melody on first read.  It wouldn't be much work to fit it to existing music OR to write new music for it.  You've done a good job of keeping a cadence. 

3.  I'm going to disagree that a song "MUST" have structural integrity throughout.  They usually do, but that's usually because musicians insist on it, and have been trained to consider it necessary. 

There ARE exceptions. 

4.  It's easiest to simply give in and format the structure to fit existing criteria/rules.  But the world won't end if you don't, and it really does NOT make it overly difficult to fit music to the lyrics.  Since you are submitting to a critique that will come mostly from musicians, I would suggest that you re-format your lyric to fit the "rule."  But if you feel strongly about not doing so, it's YOUR song. 

Most memorable songs ARE memorable because they "violate" one "rule" or another.  There are better rules to "violate" than the "structural integrity" rule.   
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

zero

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 01:13:27 AM »
HardTwistMusic,

I can agree with you while agreeing with SeriousFun
After I rewrote the lyric to correct the structure, it is a much better lyric.

I can agree that some things a poet writes are not negotiable. I will violate the rule if the words ring like silver bells and are the better for it.

But when there is a clunk like there was before I rewrote this lyric, I can only appreciate a person (seriousfun)  pointing it out.

I am glad it sings for you or you sing for it.

The two line between the verses are the "doo wap, doo wap" but every one is going to sing it differently. It would be interesting to hear what music any one writes for this.

I am glad to finish this. It has been in my back pages for a while. I am glad seriousfun mentioned the structure. That fixed it up right good!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:46:23 AM by zero »

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 07:40:55 PM »
Just to be clear, I wasn't disagreeing with Serious fun that THIS SONG needed more structure. 

Just pointing out that none of the rules are inviolable.  Art has to be free to express things from "outside the box" or it ceases to be art. 

In this case, I thought compliance with structural rules would, in fact improve it.   And it did. 

What a fine, delicate balance there is between rules and originality in songwriting.  I love it. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.