konalavadome

I'm a new songwriter.. Need your tips!

• 7 Replies

Zrudolph

• Busker
« on: June 11, 2012, 11:33:06 PM »
So.. I was a guitarist in a rock band but now i'm starting my own band which i will be singer/songwriter... I've written probably ten songs and although the flow and melody is good there is a Lack of Creative metaphores and phrases and overall wit... When i do write a really good bit it's often hard for me to fit it in the correct phrase for the song..What did you do on a daily basis to become a creative songwriter?
Thanks -zach :)

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 02:51:48 AM »
On a daily basis? Nothing.
I, basically, wait for the ideas to hit me...

I'm pretty sure you'll find everyone here was crap at writing to begin with but at some point something suddenly works out and you write something far better than anything you've done before. Or at least that's what happened with me.
And of course it's an ongoing process.
Defective Elector

Zrudolph

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 03:10:26 AM »
On a daily basis? Nothing.
I, basically, wait for the ideas to hit me...

I'm pretty sure you'll find everyone here was crap at writing to begin with but at some point something suddenly works out and you write something far better than anything you've done before. Or at least that's what happened with me.
And of course it's an ongoing process.
thanks man!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 08:27:37 AM »
 The very first thing to do (if you haven't done so already) is to create and maintain a "Hook Book"

This can either be a notebook, a dictaphone, or a phone/smartphone

For me I use the "notes" feature of my Blackberry - I just have one file called "hook book" to which I add any and every song idea, lyric, phrase, word etc. that I think may make a good lyric

It can be something someone says, an overheard conversation, something on tv, in a film, on the radio, in a newspaper etc etc. - the key is ti capture anything you like the sound of

I do occasionally come up with my own ideas ( :D ) so these also go in the hook book - especially those ones you wake up with!

Smartphones are also great fot recording a melody if one pops in your head - and the best thing is I ALWAYS have my phone with me!

It is then easier to sit down a create a lyric from one (or more) of your ideas than it is sitting down at a blank page thinking "i am going to write a song"

If you are stuck for ideas and need help getting ideas going I am going to be a bit controversial here and say that you can actually buy other people's " hook books"  :o

I bought one from amazon that is full to the brim of phrases that would make good titles/hooks

I have not used it yet as I am pleased to say my own ideas are coming faster than I can write and record but if I was stuck I would not be precious at all about using it

There are lots of other ways of creating lyrics/ideas but these few ideas should hopefully get you going

Good luck and dont forget to post some songs for review

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
Careful Boydie, not all of that is ideal...

Zrudolph, I would definitely follow Boydie's advice, but with caution, using those 'tricks' in moderation.

I think if you ever find yourself staring at a blank page going 'I want to write a song' then the solution isn't to have snippets in advance to stick together and play around with, the solution is to go away and come back to the paper when you have a more cohesive idea in your mind.

I think the idea of a 'hook book' (I think the term is a bit crude given that a hook is really just a brief, catchy line or set of lines as opposed to a mini idea) is a good one and I have one myself. I think you'll only run into trouble if you try and write a song based off multiple things you've recorded in this book, I know that I have in the past. The only exception here is if you have multiple things that do truly link to each other.

The way I use mine is I jot something in it quickly, mainly so I don't forget it, and it then sits at the back of my mind until I either come up with more and can write a song (or at least part of one) or I come up with absolutely nothing and delete it.
Defective Elector

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 01:57:23 PM »
Careful Boydie, not all of that is ideal...

I disagree - although I think we are actually saying the same thing

The term "Hook Book" is just a collaquialism and I think most songwriters use this term

My suggestion of a "hook book" is to note down those things that enter your head, you read, hear etc. and think - "that would make an awesome line/title/chorus/concept etc." for a song

I am NOT suggesting that these are ideas then have to be linked up in any way - each idea is the seed for a new song

What I meant by:

It is then easier to sit down a create a lyric from one (or more) of your ideas than it is sitting down at a blank page thinking "i am going to write a song"

Is that you already have good ideas to expand upon so you use this as the starting point and then DEVELOP the song - rather than sitting down with nothing and deciding "I must now be creative" - which I completely agree is the wrong way to go but many new songwriters do this

For me it is the ideal approach to sit down and develop ideas/concepts from my hook book (ie snippets of ideas) - but I agree that it is not ideal to try and force bits together, which is not what I was suggesting

The approach you describe is identical to what I have recommended so we do actually agree - and letting ideas gestate in the mind (I think the subconscious has HUGE untapped potential here - but that is for another discussion!) is definitely something I also do so good point
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Zrudolph

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 04:46:19 PM »
Thanks for all your help guys! I have taken it all to heart! I keep an ongoing note in my iPhone of song ideas and it has been very helpful..  If everything goes as planned i will be recording a demo of one song this saturday which then i may post here to get your comments/critique and take all your ideas into consideration and maybe go back and re do vocals with your writing expertise included... Co writing is not something i'm opposed to!

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 10:13:23 AM »
On a daily basis.......Love and suffer :D      As most songs are loosely based on these themes, it's important that you experience both, then pour it into your lyrics and vocals. In my experience, you only need to look for love, and the suffering will surely follow  :D........................I know, I'm a cynical old git:)). Good luck in your endeavours
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran