Hello, my name is Jim..

• 2 Replies

jimwix

• Busker
« on: May 19, 2015, 10:05:31 AM »
Hi all.

My name is Jim and I’m an alcoh..  oops, wrong forum!

It does feel a little like that actually, admitting to an addiction.  The urge to create something new – music wise – has always been with me and unfortunately has surpassed and supressed my musical ability.  I’ve never wanted to learn other peoples songs or play guitar like so and so, I have tuition books which I’ve never read,  I’ve always just wanted to discover my own thing and that’s made it a very shallow learning curve for me.  I can’t tell you what key a song is in and I don’t even know what a lot of the chords I play are called as I’ve just found them through happy accident.
As a kid I tried learning Beatles songs but I just annoyed people because I’d change the words and tune to what I wanted them to be – Nobody wants to hear that.

So, for the last 30 years I’ve been making my own songs up and playing them for myself, then losing interest in them and then forgetting them. I’ve never had any desire to perform or share, I’ve only ever done this for me.

But recently I’ve tried recording stuff and found that I have to write stuff down or I’ll change it each time, so that forces a more discipline which is good, but when I listen back it’s really hard to be objective about stuff.  It’s obvious to me that I’ve loads of room for improvement in all areas, but I think I need feedback…

Now I’ve discovered this lovely place  :)
I’m particularly impressed with the way you don’t allow people to post and run, it’s clearly vital in making this place function as a proper online community.  Although listening to the songs here the standard is so high it is a little intimidating – I don’t really feel qualified to critique. 

I’d better get back to work now, I’ll come by later to have another listen and try to find something more useful to say than ‘Wow, great song’.

Hmm, was I supposed to write an essay or was I just meant to say hi?

Hi, my name’s Jim.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 12:06:38 PM »
Hi Jim

Welcome to the forum! And yes, essays are good. Of course, it's fine if you just want to post 'hello' but your longer introduction gives us a good idea of who you are, and what you're about when it comes to songwriting.

I hope you find the feedback and camaraderie of our community helpful and enjoyable. Make yourself at home, and thanks for joining :)

Tone
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 08:01:34 PM »
Hi Jim,

welcome to the forum. Nothing wrong with playing Beatles songs and changing them around. That's how they started, according to Paul.

I hope you find what you're looking for, we're very supportive and don't let the high quality of the posters put you off, we're not all that good, as you'll discover when I put my next song up.

Keith