Songwriter Forum > The Writing Process

Are my lyrics too obvious/to the point?

(1/2) > >>

joemcg:
What is the best style for lyrics to be in? Should the be very ambiguous or obvious and to the point? When I write lyrics they tend to be something you can read or listen to and completely understand: like a story. The listener doesn't have to try and figure out what the song means/is about. Is this a bad thing, good thing, or doesn't matter :)

You can listen to a few of my songs on http://soundcloud.com/joemcgrady to get an idea and I'll post a few lines of a song below too. Just looking for some opinions on this. Thanks!

"Please Just Leave" http://soundcloud.com/joemcgrady/please-just-leave

Sally Leaves here tonight.
She packs up her bags and she grabs her suitcase.
She tells me I'll be alright,
But I'm not the man that she fell in love with.
So I tell her to leave, and I,
Watch her drive into this cold, December eve'.
Sally I love you. Oh won't you,
Take me back, take me back, taken me back,
Please baby please.

And I think back to those days,
When we'd walk by the lake in the dark.
And the stars would guide our way,
When I'd love you with all my heart.

massa:
It really doesn't matter.

Many songs are metaphorically rich.

Others are blatant.

Just do what suits you.

massa:
To be honest Joe though I have found myself sitting pondering this question on many an occasion.

You're not alone!

joemcg:

--- Quote from: massa on May 25, 2011, 10:28:42 PM ---To be honest Joe though I have found myself sitting pondering this question on many an occasion.

You're not alone!

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the replies. I've been thinking about it for years too. Most of the stuff I write is pretty 'to the point' but my better stuff tends to be the ambiguous kind. I guess I should just do whatever comes more naturally.

spacedogg:
Like Massa says, Joe, just do what suits you. You should certainly try different things and experiment, but always retain that element that stamps it definitively as your own.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version