konalavadome

Are my lyrics too obvious/to the point?

• 9 Replies

joemcg

• Busker
« on: May 25, 2011, 10:21:30 PM »
What is the best style for lyrics to be in? Should the be very ambiguous or obvious and to the point? When I write lyrics they tend to be something you can read or listen to and completely understand: like a story. The listener doesn't have to try and figure out what the song means/is about. Is this a bad thing, good thing, or doesn't matter :)

You can listen to a few of my songs on http://soundcloud.com/joemcgrady to get an idea and I'll post a few lines of a song below too. Just looking for some opinions on this. Thanks!

"Please Just Leave" http://soundcloud.com/joemcgrady/please-just-leave

Sally Leaves here tonight.
She packs up her bags and she grabs her suitcase.
She tells me I'll be alright,
But I'm not the man that she fell in love with.
So I tell her to leave, and I,
Watch her drive into this cold, December eve'.
Sally I love you. Oh won't you,
Take me back, take me back, taken me back,
Please baby please.

And I think back to those days,
When we'd walk by the lake in the dark.
And the stars would guide our way,
When I'd love you with all my heart.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:25:54 PM by joemcg »

massa

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 10:27:34 PM »
It really doesn't matter.

Many songs are metaphorically rich.

Others are blatant.

Just do what suits you.

massa

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 10:28:42 PM »
To be honest Joe though I have found myself sitting pondering this question on many an occasion.

You're not alone!

joemcg

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 10:32:14 PM »
To be honest Joe though I have found myself sitting pondering this question on many an occasion.

You're not alone!

Thanks for the replies. I've been thinking about it for years too. Most of the stuff I write is pretty 'to the point' but my better stuff tends to be the ambiguous kind. I guess I should just do whatever comes more naturally.

spacedogg

• Open Mic
  • Ooo yes it's up there somewhere
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 11:22:22 PM »
Like Massa says, Joe, just do what suits you. You should certainly try different things and experiment, but always retain that element that stamps it definitively as your own.

joemcg

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 11:24:34 PM »
Like Massa says, Joe, just do what suits you. You should certainly try different things and experiment, but always retain that element that stamps it definitively as your own.

Thanks for the advice.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 12:14:48 AM »
My personal opinion is that a lyric shouldn't drive a point home too hard. There should always be room for the listener to relate to the lyric in their own way. So a certain amount of ambiguity is a good thing in my book. But like all things, it's about balance. I think lyrics need to have a direction, and if your song is a story-telling kind of song, then the 'rules' are a little different. But on the whole, I think it's something worth spending the time on to get it just right.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 07:45:55 AM »
The lyrics remind me a little of 'She's Leaving Home' (Mcartney), which are 'to the point'. Although, I feel yours are perhaps a little to the point - e.g. 'Shes leaving here tonight/She packs up her suitcase', would be obvious she is leaving from just the 2nd line.
I disagree with your story comments...the best stories Ive read leave you with some questions and make you think. I think audiences like to be treated like they have a bit of intelligence!

But then again, I agree with the others that you should write what suits you

joemcg

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 09:44:13 AM »
The lyrics remind me a little of 'She's Leaving Home' (Mcartney), which are 'to the point'. Although, I feel yours are perhaps a little to the point - e.g. 'Shes leaving here tonight/She packs up her suitcase', would be obvious she is leaving from just the 2nd line.
I disagree with your story comments...the best stories Ive read leave you with some questions and make you think. I think audiences like to be treated like they have a bit of intelligence!

But then again, I agree with the others that you should write what suits you

Thanks for your comments. I think you are right that some of the best stories do leave you with some questions. After reading everyone's comments I think that it's a case of: write what suits you, but also put some thought into it. When I write lyrics it generally tends to be done quickly and nothing is revised. I think maybe I need to go back over lyrics when I've finished and work on them (maybe making them less obtuse, or making them flow better).

Thanks for all your responses.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 10:24:31 AM »

Thanks for your comments. I think you are right that some of the best stories do leave you with some questions. After reading everyone's comments I think that it's a case of: write what suits you, but also put some thought into it. When I write lyrics it generally tends to be done quickly and nothing is revised. I think maybe I need to go back over lyrics when I've finished and work on them (maybe making them less obtuse, or making them flow better).

Thanks for all your responses.

Yes, I revise and revise again (but Im very rarely completely happy with the lyrics) and from conception of a song to finishing a recording usually takes a while