konalavadome

Gadael - Welsh folk

• 22 Replies

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 10:42:48 AM »
Hi Owen,

I enjoyed that.
I thought the strumming and singing worked well together - don't know why you doubt your voice. There was a bit around 4.08 that sounded a little shaky. Your YT caption said it's a sinister piece and the vocal promotes this. The almost relentless strumming gives a great backdrop of reckless abandon. I've purposely not read the lyrics as i wanted to project my own story over the song.
I thought the odd bit of wind noise added something to the video too. Pity you look so much like my daughter's boyfriend. Which loses you one point! :)

Nice one.

Digger

misswhiterabbit

• Open Mic
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 11:27:25 AM »
This is a new genre for me, I really loved it. I must visit Wales!

I like the subtle tempo changes. Your voice is perfect, the tone suits the lyrics. I love music that is full of light and dark.

Mystic Dreamer

• Open Mic
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 12:01:10 AM »
I enjoyed this.  It sounds very authentic and real.  Not meaning authentic by any rules, but it just sound like natural music. 

Also compliments on writing these lyrics.  It's quite interesting song that speaks much to the situation it describes.   Thanks for posting the English translation so I could know the story.

Great job.

Dogmax

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 10:54:09 PM »
Yeah i like this but Man what come next.

Owen Ffrancon

• Busker
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 12:08:17 AM »
I enjoyed this.  It sounds very authentic and real.  Not meaning authentic by any rules, but it just sound like natural music. 

Also compliments on writing these lyrics.  It's quite interesting song that speaks much to the situation it describes.   Thanks for posting the English translation so I could know the story.

Great job.

Thanks! I'm a real fan of acoustic music and try to keep my own music this way. I would love to add double bass to some of my pieces, though probably not this one. This somehow feels too rocky for that. I've not quite worked out exactly why but it could be the power chords that I often use.

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 11:14:18 PM »
Really glad you posted this, it's really interesting to hear something so rooted, so untainted by anything modern.

I am one who is really grateful that you posted the translation. Obviously the lyrics are the lyrics, and the translation is the translation, and the one isn't a substitute for the other... But I really wanted to know what it was all about and how the story was set, and being a non-Welsh speaker my other option would be Google translate - which would obviously do a much greater disservice to your lyrics than your own translation does!!... So thank you for that.

Based on the translation, the story is told really well. Lots of great detail that conjures the tension and foreboding. Nice references to the natural world, weather etc.

Back to the song.... The music supports the storytelling really well I think. You're right about sinister - the guitar communicates that really well. Your vocal is strong. The melody isn't the sort of melody that really gives your vocal a chance to show off, but, like the guitar, the melody and vocal do really support the flavour of the storytelling, so I think they work really well in this piece.

Really really great to hear. It's a challenge for us non-Welsh speakers and non-trad musicians....but definitely a rewarding one, I think!

Welcome to the forum, I hope you stick around.

Owen Ffrancon

• Busker
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 12:25:53 PM »
Really glad you posted this, it's really interesting to hear something so rooted, so untainted by anything modern.

I am one who is really grateful that you posted the translation. Obviously the lyrics are the lyrics, and the translation is the translation, and the one isn't a substitute for the other... But I really wanted to know what it was all about and how the story was set, and being a non-Welsh speaker my other option would be Google translate - which would obviously do a much greater disservice to your lyrics than your own translation does!!... So thank you for that.

Based on the translation, the story is told really well. Lots of great detail that conjures the tension and foreboding. Nice references to the natural world, weather etc.

Back to the song.... The music supports the storytelling really well I think. You're right about sinister - the guitar communicates that really well. Your vocal is strong. The melody isn't the sort of melody that really gives your vocal a chance to show off, but, like the guitar, the melody and vocal do really support the flavour of the storytelling, so I think they work really well in this piece.

Really really great to hear. It's a challenge for us non-Welsh speakers and non-trad musicians....but definitely a rewarding one, I think!

Welcome to the forum, I hope you stick around.

Thanks! I see what you mean about the melody line. I'm tempted to make the singing more Irish-style traditional, though I've had little vocal training so we'll see how that goes.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 09:55:22 PM »
I am loving this! I never mind a bit of foreign language to my music, I can still feel your emotion in this

You performance is spot on for the style. he tumbling consonants suit this so well

I like that the sections all go their own separate way while still gluing together.I also get "sinister" from the close guitar chords. Very evocative.

Thanks for sharing something I would otherwise rarely get exposed to!

james x
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk