Struggle to write cheerful lyrics

• 9 Replies

Cloudburst

• Busker
« on: April 02, 2015, 02:45:20 PM »
Okay, I'm no class songwriter or anything I just like doing it in my spare time. But I want to be decent at it and I don't want all my songs to be miserable. But for some reason whenever I'm thinking happy and that it's all a bit rubbish. Any advice?

Thanks

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 04:39:03 PM »
I'd love to give you some meaningful advice, but without seeing two samples (one "cheerful" and one "dark") of your work, I simply can't come to ANY conclusion that would be effective and meaningful.  Do you have some of each posted here? 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 09:17:34 PM »
Okay, I'm no class songwriter or anything I just like doing it in my spare time. But I want to be decent at it and I don't want all my songs to be miserable. But for some reason whenever I'm thinking happy and that it's all a bit rubbish. Any advice?

Thanks

In my humble opinion,do what come naturally and go with the flow. If you are struggling for ideas for a 'happy song',try dodging the issue by making your misery humorous,send yourself up and make light of you human failings. You'll have a ready made audience on that score.   ;D

Again in my opinion,deciding to write a song in a specific vein is tricky and you may need a few songs under your belt to gain the confidence and self belief to tackle particular,or different to you,topics.

I also think sometimes we,as writers,can be guilty of getting in the way of the song. The song just wants to be born and all we do is moan about the birth pangs! Deep breaths and relax,everything will then happen naturally.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 08:20:48 PM »
Hi Cloudburst,

I totally understand where you are coming from. I only seem to be able to write darker stuff too. Happy stuff just seems corny. I say go with what you've got - it will come across with more honesty and won't seem forced. Some of us are here to write about the day - some about the night.

Digger

vogel

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 04:57:27 PM »
I agree with the comments above about doing what feels right. I'm reminded of a quote from Tolstoy:

“All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.”

Maybe your songs aren't happy-go-lucky, but maybe they're more original and have a deeper meaning because of it.

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 05:56:25 PM »
You need to have been in love for more than a week and less than a month, otherwise forget it - get yourself a downtuned 8 string and a big amp and go for it ;-)
GTB

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 07:48:10 PM »
Don't be too hard on yourself. I was watching a BBC documentary about UK No.1's  and Noddy Holder said something along the lines of, writing a popular sad song is easy but writing a happy song that's popular is really difficult.

It may be that the same things make people sad or angry but different things make people happy? Don't know, I haven't done the research but my own back catalogue suggests that it's possibly the case.

Either way keep having a go and at some point you'll find something that works.  ;)
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 05:47:44 PM »

yeah writing is a funny old game

I think you should write what comes to you
 there must be a reason you're getting what you get
 so write it down go over it later and maybe you can make changes
 some times over thinking can be a real problem
 happy or sad there is a market for both so don't let it hold you back

GOOD LUCK WITH IT

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 06:11:24 PM »
You could try taking REM's approach. Their label told them to write something upbeat, happy, and with plenty of commercial appeal. They hated the idea, so they decided to take the p!ss, and wrote 'Shiny Happy People'. It may be insincere, but the public loved it! :D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 06:19:38 PM »
Songwriting is in my opinion, pretty much tied to the blues. Off load your sad feelings or find real happiness in your life to write about. Alternatively, dig deep to write a sincere lyric about something that brought you great happiness. It comes by now and again - remember that feeling and write  about it or write something not so sincere - but it won't really register with anyone! That's fact my friend - sorry I can't take this any further!

Paul