MIDI to notation...

• 8 Replies

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« on: March 16, 2015, 01:28:17 PM »
Hello,

Does anyone have any advice for converting a midi part into a proper musical notation score (i.e. in a printable A4 page format instead of the piano roll thingybob). I'm sure it must be possible/easy but I haven't managed to figure it out yet. I'm using Logic Pro X....

Thanks in advance!

Becky

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 03:37:17 PM »
If you need it quickly email it over and I can put the musical notation into a PDF for you
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 05:13:22 PM »
Thanks Boydie!.... But I want to do it with lots of tracks / parts..... Don't want to have to keep pestering you all the time!...

How do you do it? Do you have special software?

Mystic Dreamer

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »

I use a sheet music program called Melody Assistant. <- Click here to go to their web page.

It will open any MIDI file directly as sheet music.  You can then play it, modify it, or print it out from there.

The program is basically free as shareware and you can use it without any time limitation.  However, there are some limitations in the software that can only be used if you purchase it for a small fee.

But I think you can import midi files and print them out with just the free version.  I think you need to pay only if you want to actually create mp3 files from your sheet music.   But it works great as a midi to sheet music converter too.

Anyway that's what I use.  I love it, and I bought it because I use it all the time.  I don't use it for midi conversion so much though.  I just use it for writing sheet music from scratch.

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:19:29 PM »
Thanks Mystic. I've installed it and had a little look and have tried to import one of my midi files into it..... It looks a bit confusing and not a very user friendly interface on first look, although I guess you must get used to that with practice. The little icons for the controls are tiny and it's hard to see what you might be clicking on. And it seems to not lay  out the staves in an A4 page format, but just one line like it does with the logic piano roll - but Melody Assistant doesn't seem to want to let me scroll across, so all I can see is the first few bars.... Perhaps I'm missing something?.... Also, if I click on a note or something on stave it shows an error message saying "there are too many symbols in this score for an unregistered version" - so seems like I may have to pay if I want to use it.... Not sure I want to pay for it without having some success using it first....

I found Finale Notepad onload which has a free version, but having downloaded it, the mac doesn't seem to want me to install it, even by doing the manual override thing...

Hmmmm......

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 09:31:32 PM »
Musescore is free. I've used it and it does have the ability to load a midi file and transform it to music score. When you import, it asks what is the shortest duration note you want to show. If you go too hemidemisemiquaverish you get lots of tied notes which need to be tidied up - dépends how 'on' all your midi events are if you get what I mean. And it prints OK readable scores.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Mystic Dreamer

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 09:52:31 PM »
It looks a bit confusing and not a very user friendly interface on first look, although I guess you must get used to that with practice.

Yeah, it can be confusing at first.  It's one of those programs that seems strange in the beginning but after you get used to think it starts making sense why they did the things they did.

The little icons for the controls are tiny and it's hard to see what you might be clicking on.

Again, I agree.  It's pretty tiny icons.  But again, that's something that's nice in the long haul because it allows you to have lots of icons on the screen without taking up too much space.  I'm so used to the program that I take everything for granted now.  But like you, I wasn't very pleased with it at first sight. 

And it seems to not lay  out the staves in an A4 page format, but just one line like it does with the logic piano roll - but Melody Assistant doesn't seem to want to let me scroll across, so all I can see is the first few bars....

There a zoom feature so you can zoom in and out to see as many bars as you like.  Although the more bars that show the tinier things get.  At the bottom left hand corner there should be a magnifying glass icon.  If you choose 50% a lot more measures will show up, but they will of course be twice as small then.

I'm not sure what the A4 page format is.   The printing function has a bit of a learning curve too.

Another thing about viewing measures is that you can change how wide they are.  If you select an entire staff (you can do that by using the select too and just clicking on the name of any staff)  Then place your mouse pointer over the the end of the first measure marker (located above the staffs, it's number 1, 2, 3, etc.)   Click and drag to resize the first measure and this will resize them all (assuming you have selected the entire staff).  In this way you can make measures smaller if they are already too big.  This will also make sure that every measure on the staff is the same size.

As far as printing.  You should also be able to see where the print breaks will be.   These will be colored vertical bars somewhere along the staff.  As you resize the measures these print break bars will jump around showing how many measure will print out on each line.  This will change depending on how wide you make the measures.

Finally when you go to "Print, Score" on the File Menu you will open up a preview screen that will offer you other options for changing how things will appear when printed out.

Another important thing to know.  If you have more than one staff, all staffs will be printed out.  So if you are only interested in printing music for one instrument just delete all unwanted staffs leaving only the staff you want printed.   

It's no doubt going to take some learning curve time. But it's pretty cool once you get used to things.

Perhaps I'm missing something?.... Also, if I click on a note or something on stave it shows an error message saying "there are too many symbols in this score for an unregistered version" - so seems like I may have to pay if I want to use it.... Not sure I want to pay for it without having some success using it first....

The music you are looking at may be too large for an unregistered version.  I've gotten around that in the past by simply deleting say the last half of the music.   Then just working with the first half. (less symbols and it works).  Then just reload and delete the first half to do the second half.

I found Finale Notepad onload which has a free version, but having downloaded it, the mac doesn't seem to want me to install it, even by doing the manual override thing...

Hmmmm......

Yeah Finale would work too.  In fact, it might actually be easier to use for this.  If you can get it to run of course.

Melody Assistant might be more difficult to learn how to use.  But in the long haul it might also be more versatile.

But yeah, try deleting half the music if you're getting too many symbols error.  You might be able to do it in two haves instead.

Also delete any unwanted staffs, unless you want multiple instruments in the print out. 

~~~~

I just saw the post by Viscount.  I've used Musescore before too.  I don't like it as a sheet music program but it might be good for midi printouts.

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 10:58:32 PM »
After a bit of confusion I got musescore installed. It does seem a lot simpler, so no doubt doesn't do some of the stuff that melody assistant does, but I think that's ok for me - the simpler the better! I'm a bit simple myself, so foolproof is what I need!

But if I find I need it to do stuff that it doesn't do, I'll come back to melody assistant, and your reply will be really useful Mystic - thank you!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 08:47:22 AM »
What do you need it to do Becky? Logic has a pretty good score editor. Just highlight the midi part in the arrange window, then go to Window -> Score (or press Cmd + 3).

New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l