Gone - New Version

• 51 Replies

Mark Ryan

• Solo Gig
  • Banned user
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2015, 06:07:26 PM »
Take a look at all the damage that you've done - Beautiful - speaks to me! A lovely song sung beautifully to the appropriate instrumentation!

Paul

Hi Paul,
Thanks for listening and for your very kind words, they're much appreciated.

Mark

Friedemann

• Open Mic
  • You got to sound gefährlich!
    • Holistic Songwriting on Facebook
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2015, 01:05:40 AM »
I agree there's no right and wrong way to make art. One man's shit is another man's gold so to speak :)
Depending on where in the world you come from, different styles of writing sometimes doesn't compute, as that's just not what you're used to hearing. I worked with a girl from the Faroe Islands a few years ago called Eivor Pallsdottir, and she was mystified that I had married a traditional Gaelic tune with a more modern rock/blues arrangement. It was like some sort of sacrilege as far as she was concerned. A couple of years later she asked me to work on an album with her where she was doing exactly that, whereas previously it was like some kind of alien language to her. A lot of European countries tend to keep their arrangements very traditional and well within the lines of the genre, and going outside just isn't done, so I can maybe see where Friedemann is coming from, maybe he comes from one of these such countries himself. But all opinion is good opinion if it gets you thinking :)
Thanks for your comments and review, very much appreciated
Mark

Well put!
You are of course absolutely right about Dylan, whom I admire for his lyrics and overall message, but not necessarily as a musician. I'm definitely a music-comes-first guy and very much interested in how to make songs as compelling and captivating as possible. I have the same fascination with film - how it uses little psychological triggers to reel you in and keep your attention until its over. So that's where I'm coming from - maybe not a very artistic side, more of a technical, psychological side. ;)
"You got to sound gefährlich"

Mark Ryan

• Solo Gig
  • Banned user
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2015, 12:17:45 PM »
I agree there's no right and wrong way to make art. One man's shit is another man's gold so to speak :)
Depending on where in the world you come from, different styles of writing sometimes doesn't compute, as that's just not what you're used to hearing. I worked with a girl from the Faroe Islands a few years ago called Eivor Pallsdottir, and she was mystified that I had married a traditional Gaelic tune with a more modern rock/blues arrangement. It was like some sort of sacrilege as far as she was concerned. A couple of years later she asked me to work on an album with her where she was doing exactly that, whereas previously it was like some kind of alien language to her. A lot of European countries tend to keep their arrangements very traditional and well within the lines of the genre, and going outside just isn't done, so I can maybe see where Friedemann is coming from, maybe he comes from one of these such countries himself. But all opinion is good opinion if it gets you thinking :)
Thanks for your comments and review, very much appreciated
Mark

Well put!
You are of course absolutely right about Dylan, whom I admire for his lyrics and overall message, but not necessarily as a musician. I'm definitely a music-comes-first guy and very much interested in how to make songs as compelling and captivating as possible. I have the same fascination with film - how it uses little psychological triggers to reel you in and keep your attention until its over. So that's where I'm coming from - maybe not a very artistic side, more of a technical, psychological side. ;)

I also use these techniques where the song merits it, in fact I'm currently working on one such song right now, I'm just trying to make sure it doesn't sound too much like Shine On You Crazy Diamond as there's a similar intro to create the atmosphere. But like I said earlier, in the folk genre it's quite common to use the style I have as it's usually all about the lyrics, the melody is only there to capture the attention and get people listening :)

Friedemann

• Open Mic
  • You got to sound gefährlich!
    • Holistic Songwriting on Facebook
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2015, 06:55:09 PM »
very true ;) and the lyrics work well - so I'd say you did a great job!

would love to hear that new track of yours once it's finished! =)
"You got to sound gefährlich"

Mark Ryan

• Solo Gig
  • Banned user
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2015, 09:04:52 PM »
very true ;) and the lyrics work well - so I'd say you did a great job!

would love to hear that new track of yours once it's finished! =)

No problem, you can buy the album lol  ;D

misswhiterabbit

• Open Mic
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2015, 08:14:58 AM »
This is really beautiful, found it quite emotional. I wouldn't change a thing.

Mark Ryan

• Solo Gig
  • Banned user
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2015, 07:02:42 PM »
This is really beautiful, found it quite emotional. I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks for the very kind words and for listening :)

Mark