Songwriter Forum > The Writing Process

your own style

(1/4) > >>

jim morrison:
I think i've found my delivery style of singing if you know what i mean. Do any of you sing in one way all the time or does it vary according to the song

massa:
sometimes I sing opera, sometimes I don't

Ramshackles:

--- Quote from: massa on May 21, 2011, 11:54:00 PM ---sometimes I sing opera, sometimes I don't

--- End quote ---

Lol.
In answer to the question, I sing pretty much the same way - its my voice and trying to alter it to suit a certain style (putting on an americanish accent that was sooo the trend when blink 182 were big, or trying to sound like tom waits) just sounds fake to me.
I encourage the lead singers in my band to do the same. I alter dynamics and such to suit softer or powerful songs, but thats about it

tone:
When it comes to singing, I think you have to work with what you've got (unless you're Tom Waits :p )

Your voice is unique and it's how people will identify you as a singer. If there's one thing I really hate it's British singers with American accents. What's wrong with your own accent? With your own way of phrasing?

And I think it's true of songwriting, too. The more songs you write, the more of your own voice you develop (I'm talking about a writing voice, now.) All the best songwriters (in my opinion) have a very strong writing personality. It's part of the integrity of good writing.

Of course, having your own voice doesn't mean you have to be limited in style. I would say my songs aren't incredibly diverse, but they're definitely not tied into a style. I write a song, and then play it to it's best advantage and sound. A song deserves to be given room to be itself in a performance.

massa:
Tone, have I ever heard any of your music? Or are you the one with the Neverwas brigade?

I lose my accent when I sing!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version