konalavadome

your own style

• 17 Replies

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« on: May 21, 2011, 11:42:33 PM »
I think i've found my delivery style of singing if you know what i mean. Do any of you sing in one way all the time or does it vary according to the song
Learner guitarist

massa

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
sometimes I sing opera, sometimes I don't

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 12:15:06 PM »

Lol.
In answer to the question, I sing pretty much the same way - its my voice and trying to alter it to suit a certain style (putting on an americanish accent that was sooo the trend when blink 182 were big, or trying to sound like tom waits) just sounds fake to me.
I encourage the lead singers in my band to do the same. I alter dynamics and such to suit softer or powerful songs, but thats about it

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 02:55:17 PM »
When it comes to singing, I think you have to work with what you've got (unless you're Tom Waits :p )

Your voice is unique and it's how people will identify you as a singer. If there's one thing I really hate it's British singers with American accents. What's wrong with your own accent? With your own way of phrasing?

And I think it's true of songwriting, too. The more songs you write, the more of your own voice you develop (I'm talking about a writing voice, now.) All the best songwriters (in my opinion) have a very strong writing personality. It's part of the integrity of good writing.

Of course, having your own voice doesn't mean you have to be limited in style. I would say my songs aren't incredibly diverse, but they're definitely not tied into a style. I write a song, and then play it to it's best advantage and sound. A song deserves to be given room to be itself in a performance.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

massa

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 03:49:08 PM »
Tone, have I ever heard any of your music? Or are you the one with the Neverwas brigade?

I lose my accent when I sing!

gibsona07

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 04:11:58 PM »

Lol.
In answer to the question, I sing pretty much the same way - its my voice and trying to alter it to suit a certain style (putting on an americanish accent that was sooo the trend when blink 182 were big, or trying to sound like tom waits) just sounds fake to me.
I encourage the lead singers in my band to do the same. I alter dynamics and such to suit softer or powerful songs, but thats about it

I'm still working on it... Maybe after 20 years of bourbon and 40 smokes a day... That's the dream!  ;D

massa

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 04:14:14 PM »
Don't smoke you berk it'll ruin your voice!  :-X

spacedogg

• Open Mic
  • Ooo yes it's up there somewhere
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 06:29:10 PM »
Tone, have I ever heard any of your music? Or are you the one with the Neverwas brigade?

Hey, Mr. Massa! What does that mean? I hope you're not being nasty to the Spacedogg :-[

massa

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 06:44:33 PM »
No I'm not being nasty, I wondered if tone collaborated with the Neverwas band, and if I heard some music or TNMC or something.

I love your picture.

spacedogg

• Open Mic
  • Ooo yes it's up there somewhere
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 07:11:41 PM »
I love your picture.

Stop it you'll make me blush. I'm just an old fart who still gets excited by good music. And its one of the only pics of me on my computer where I don't look like a complete bell end.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 07:28:29 PM »
hi Massa,
you can always look back in the posts of this forum
i mean
you can listen to Tone's songs, and his singing (I can recommend it)
and his partner singing (Waspfromipanema) etc.
and you can listen back to music of Neverwas
(formerly known as TNMC)
again I can recommend it
etc.
I can't sing at all, so certainly no opera for me
so Mrs. Dutchbeat has to do all the singing over here
but to make things more complex
a member of Neverwas (again, formerly know as TNMC)
is so kind to write lyrics for us nowadays, as we have great difficulty writing them (our Dutch is better than our english)
and he is good at it!
and it is not Andy, so it must be.... (for 1000 brownie points.....)

massa

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 08:00:19 PM »
Must be... tone?

I've listened to the wasp from ipanema. Tone doesn't post much music these days no? It's just the same names churning out the choons day in day out?

massa

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 08:02:09 PM »
I love your picture.

Stop it you'll make me blush. I'm just an old fart who still gets excited by good music. And its one of the only pics of me on my computer where I don't look like a complete bell end.

No it's really arty! Even the lighting is really arty!

postmn

• Solo Gig
  • I am not done listening to myself
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 10:52:46 PM »
Don't smoke you berk it'll ruin your voice!  :-X

haha Woops  :D

massa

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 09:07:51 AM »
The legal age of smoking in the UK is 18 now, so as a 16 year old postmn you should not be smoking.

Anyway, it's not cool.

Kissy kissy! Mwah.