Demos

• 19 Replies

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 02:49:45 PM »
DevyE, I'm a bit confused as to what you actually have (and so what you would be giving to a producer).

Over the years I've seen a number of different producers (or companies that will do this for a fee),all with different costs and varying levels of abilities (IMHO). Personally speaking when I've found a good-un I've stuck with them like pooh to a blanket!

One project a US guy i know had was to use one of the Nashville demo studios. I forget which one but I remember it costing him $400-$500 and all they needed was his demo (guitar and vox was all they needed) and they did the rest. You were able to 'watch' the recording live and they basically did one run though and then recorded a couple of takes. The quality of musicianship was incredible, they effectively knew where the song was going so nailed the whole thing in 30-40 mins. In this case there was already a vocal track so they then dropped that into their finished mix and it was despatched a couple of days later. Superb quality BUT it was a pretty typical Nashville style recording and production (although I'm sure they do different sub-styles). If anyone's interested I'll dig the song out and post it here.

The other option I know a few people use is similar to this but the producer themselves creates the song round the demo track (which may have just been guitar and vox), but the writer has said something like "I'd like this producing like Pharrels 'Happy' " (or whatever). This usually then leads to a conversation about whether that works rhythmically etc. but between them they decide on a production style. If the original demo has a strong vocal then it could be used in the finished song (maybe have parts rerecord if there's been a change in rhythm or groove) - or maybe the producer needs to bring in a session singer (which obviously ups the cost). I think there was a 'Christian music' producer on here a few months ago - not sure if anyone used him but his demos seemed good and included pop stuff.

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 09:51:46 PM »
Hi Onelabel, questions 1&2 were more general based on others experiences of using studios that I've read. I didn't want this thread to be about me but if I was using a studio I would give them a home demo, lyric/chord sheet etc and even tab riffs if required. Question 3 is more relevant because unless I got back what I will call the masters (stems) then I don't think I would be satisfied the service, I would want full control over the product not just a wave file, even if only to manipulate it for a personal backing track etc.

The production quality of some studio demos I've heard are superb but if they are lacklustre (typical) then is it much better than a carefully made home demo to put to a publisher/record company as both would need re-recording for public consumption, I guess we've gone full circle but thanks to all it was an interestiung chat.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 11:23:41 PM »
Like i said, when Flossie sent them 'wild on the run' and i sent 3 other demos, they don't ask for your chords...these people are so experienced they just 'know' what they are...plus their job is to improve what you've sent. And also the songs they produce are radio ready....If someone wants to re-record using their people ,i suspect they will know.

A good studio will not give you lacklustre recordings! unless you're tempted by the real cheapies.

If you like i will ask about the music notation and if they have it.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 10:48:12 PM »
Ok so i asked Stacy the guy i use  about stems etc:his reply.

"Yes,
As an optional service, for $75, we compile and consolidate all the final takes into individual wavs, zip them up, and send them to you so that you can have others use the tracks, re-mix, re-record, re-master.. however you want.
Many studios don’t allow this, but we do.     You can treat our productions as work for hire masters, without having to pay master scale or any extra “buyout” fees.

But you’re right, studio musicians do not need stems or anything other than a reference worktape or production if they are re-recording it.  They will hear everything by ear and then chart it out and play it."

Stacy – AWP

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »
Cheers S.T.C, thanks for taking the time to make the enquiry and it is good to know that the stems can be obtained. It is something I will seriously consider and have noted the studio that you use, because although I enjoy recording and bringing my tunes to life I think curiosity will get the better of me as I will want to hear a professional production of them.

Thanks again, very much appreciated  :)