konalavadome

I'm Over You (new vocal by Becky Thomas)

• 46 Replies

Friedemann

• Open Mic
  • You got to sound gefährlich!
    • Holistic Songwriting on Facebook
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2015, 06:30:28 PM »
nice atmosphere indeed!

Imma get right to the nitty gritty:

I have some issues with the drumbeat in the beginning. I see what you're trying to do but it's not working for me. How about some subtle playing on the cymbals and occasional toms instead (or just change the closed hihats to lush open hihats)? Right now it sounds more like you don't know how to write for drums (until you come in with your full groove - then it's all clear)

I would take out the fill at 1:32 - it's not going anywhere. You just came in with your drums and we have to get used to those first before you change things up again.

Like the chords. really like your chorus melodically and harmonically.

Some tips for your solo: try to add in a little more jumps, right now it sounds a little to scalular for this kind of music. I also miss the connection to the harmony a little.

nice bridge! you have a really great feel for melody writing - good job!

Would also love to hear it with a female vocalist!

For more or if something isn't clear, we can also skype :)

Take care,

f.
"You got to sound gefährlich"

irwin

• Solo Gig
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCoYFKSWTAI&list=PLWHZTIkxOCWkm6lSQEDem0DQqTMSAoLVe
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2015, 12:16:26 AM »
Love the keyboards and sax solo. Enjoy the listen. haven't enjoyed a song as much as this for a long time on this forum. Thanks for sharing.

Irwin
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 12:28:18 AM by irwin »
Need your music on iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, etc? Click DistroKid Link Below and Save 7%:
https://distrokid.com/vip/seven/2528627

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7nwjMIqpi8461amydZmWUC

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2015, 07:30:58 AM »
Could hear Lena Horne singing this..sort of bluesy/laid back jazz thing..Instrumental part is too long and the song would be better at around 4 mins because nothing new happens after the instrumental part..
writing and arranging songs is hard..as we all know..

good work, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 09:27:19 PM »
Bumptastic time but people deserve to be thanked for commenting don't they?

Hey Boydie thanks for the nice comments - i'll definitely be looking at brushes but too busy at the mo

Yes I love that Kontakt upright bass - especially considering it's free!

Friedmann- nice to meet you. Glad you liked it in the main. Programming and writing the drums is new for me so still learning there. the piano solo probably suffers for the fact that I'm not much good at playing and can only do a (mainly)pentatonic solo for now.....
Glad you enjoyed the melody!

Irwin - long time no see. Thanks for listening and commenting.

Kevin - pleased you thought it was good. Granted it's a bit long and most people might turn it off before the end, but it can't be helped. And in fact, after the instrumental part is where it all happens really...before that is just setting the scene. You must have missed the bridge.....a new thing happening...

Thanks for listening people!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2015, 03:56:03 PM »
I agonised over whether to bump this back up or just to post a link in The Bar or something.

Although Tone gave official sanction to updates just a few days ago, I don't suppose we really want to see the new releases being swamped by updated versions too much.

Finally i concluded that, as I don't post anything like the no. of songs that I could post (if I had them, that is!) I should be able to get away with it. And, how else is anybody apart from Becky and I going to hear it?

So, here's a new version with a lovely vocal by the celebrated Becky Thomas.

I wouldn't mind any informed feedback on the updated production too.....am I getting anywhere?

https://soundcloud.com/cramer1930/im-over-you-becky-thomas
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Jathon Delsy

• Open Mic
  • The Twisted Troubadour of Fleeting Fantasia
    • Jathon Delsy
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2015, 04:35:20 PM »
Moody atmospheric vibe subtly delineated by incisively resonant bass and softly touch drums, augmented by the pellucid keyboards and the slightly languid gently slurring jazzy vocal, full of sensual suppleness and just a touch of sleaze. A voluptuously luxurious piece of mellow meanders through sophisticated changes. My only doubt here is the saxophone, which for me breaks the floating feeling.
Magical musical motions through enigmatic evocations of smoky susurration,,,,,

retrononomusic

• Solo Gig
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2015, 01:03:54 PM »
Hooo, it was worth listening to this song again with this "give the chills" voice... :-)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2015, 10:44:34 AM »
Well you've just turned this into an awesome song, what a great voice Becky has and in the politically correct arena that is England I am prepared to also say that Becky has a damn sexy voice which gives this song such gravitas!!!

so there!!!

so good to hear such a quality song sung in such a world class way...can't think of any other female singer who could do better!!...not even Lena Horn....

best, Kevin
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 10:49:42 AM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2015, 09:22:46 PM »

just flown in to say this is really nice track
nice mix and extremely relaxo
think beckys nailed it your worship , lovely kind of sultry vocal almost marlene
love the atmosphere and cool vibe
top work.

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Dogmax

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2015, 11:53:26 PM »
What can i say that hadn't already been said this is cool really really cool, remind me of greats like ShinyThang and his wonderful jazz song Then Leave.

Possibilities of creating a new reality in this so call music world, really really cool you two.

MartiMedia

• Solo Gig
    • MartiMedia
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2015, 12:54:09 AM »
Nice intro, jazzy atmosphere, touched by the really sensitive vocals. Beautiful dynamics...
The brass section sounds a bit too direct to me, maybe a bit reverb on those tracks would
work. But feel free to ignore. Very nice organ solo. Sax sounds really direct, keep that! Wow, this music grabs me, I totally relaxed. Touched me in the heart. WOW!!! MM
https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/tracks
https://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia

Most recent collab (October 2015): Never Mine To Keep - Jambrains and Martimedia
http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/song-reviews/never-mine-to-keep-(jambrains-martimedia-collab)/

My 'best' track (Winning track of this board's 'Dreams' 2015 summer competition):
https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2015, 08:13:16 AM »
Jathon - I hope that means you liked it. Thanks for listening and commenting.

Nono- Glad you enjoyed it again with the new vocal.

Kevin - Pleased you enjoyed the updated version.  Awesome is a nice compliment. Thanks.

nooms - Thanks for the kind words. Glad the mix sounds OK. Yeah, a lot better without me singing it!

Pat - Nice to hear from you. Yes, i'm missing Shinythang's jazz offering. Might be able to get some ideas from some of his nice ballads. In fact I must go and listen to that and some other things. i get the feeling that I'm getting a bit set in a rigid style that I need to get away from a bit.

Marti - I'll investigate the reverb...there is some there but perhaps not enough...I'm only learning this stuff so not really anywhere near being proficient yet.
Thanks a lot for the repost and like on Soundcloud. You're a pal!

On behalf of Becky and myself, thanks to all of you for listening and commenting.

Take it easy.

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2015, 10:58:28 AM »
Yeah, this is way cool.  ;D  I really enjoyed the original version but this one is stellar! !!
Becky's voice works great, great in this track but you also got rid of the rough edges in the mix that is now soooo smooth. Well done!

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2015, 11:44:51 AM »
I really liked the first version but this tops it. Great vocal by Becky. I thought it was too short, especially with the last "I give in" which is how it should be.

Keith

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2015, 01:25:24 PM »
I just knew I'd need my smoking jacket for this one!  8)

A masterfully restrained performance by all concerned,great feel.

I like it!