konalavadome

I'm Over You (new vocal by Becky Thomas)

• 46 Replies

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« on: February 22, 2015, 03:57:51 PM »
*Now re-released with vocal by Becky Thomas*

https://soundcloud.com/cramer1930/im-over-you-becky-thomas

Hello people

A nice slow one for you...ha ha ha!

I think the song is ok. The treatment....who knows? The mix...probably leaves a bit to be desired. My monitoring capacity is severely limited!

Unfortunately I had to sing this one myself.

Anyway here it is

I'm Over You

Here you are, open as day
Here am I, too scared to say
OK you win
OK I give in
OK come in

Here am I, just like before
Here you are, always so sure
That I'll say I give in
I'll say come in
I'll say you win

CHORUS
I'm over you no matter what you do
It's understood
I'm over you again
This time for good

SOLO

Repeat chorus

BRIDGE
At moments like this
It's hard to resist temptation's glow
And who can explain,
There's comfort in pain you know

Here you are, dark as the night
Here am I, too tired to fight
OK come in
OK you win
OK I give in

https://soundcloud.com/cramer1930/im-over-you

Sorry about the long run in......

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 03:57:23 PM by Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra »
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 06:43:38 PM »
Hi Viscount,

Not knocking your voice, but i'd like to hear a female vocal on this.
The music has a super chilled quality. Don't know why you're unhappy with the mix - sounds great to me - nice depth to it, though i'd perhaps bring that sax solo a bit further forward - may be at the same level as the vocal is at.
My one nitpick would be the length - though i guess it's pretty short for jazzy stuff - don't jazz songs last for 3 days or thereabouts?

Cheers,

Digger

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 04:48:31 PM »

realy nice track your worship
tho have some doubts about the honourable tonsils but really good lyric and music
and as digger mentioned be nice if the sax came up in the mix.

love the dreamy misty quality of the performance and it might be the vocals actually too straight and locked to the changes that is holding it back. maybe spread it out a little as if it was conversation
the ending is quite abrupt and maybe a breaths space before you hit that final chord..
but the song im certain will help you achieve another knighthood ..

im walking backwards and bowing the noggin

great stuff ian

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:51:10 PM »
Hi Viscount,

I thought the mix was really good, loved the bass. I agree with Digger the sax was definitely too low.

Something for a late night on a smoky café in Paris for me.

Keith

PeeJay

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 07:08:35 PM »
Hi Cramer,

That was an enjoyable listen. Nice mellow sound.

Especially liked when the keyboards and sax came in late on.

Can't comment on the technicalities me not being a muso!

Phil.
I don't know what i'm doing but i do it anyway.

Dogmax

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 04:19:07 PM »
Nice relaxing chill out feel to this, really enjoy listening.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 10:55:57 PM »
My dearest Count, mellowest man, mellow. And love the the bass and organic brass.
Nice solo on the keys too.
Mixed views on your vocals which work some of the time for me although I like the weatherbeaten tone.
Mix sounds ok.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 01:23:05 PM »
Gentlemen...thank you for the feedback.

Glad to hear comments about chilled-out, mellow, smoky, late-night Parisian cafés...these are among the things I aspire to, especially in this song.

Digger...it isn't that I'm unhappy with the mix...just that I've only got headphones and cheap pc speakers to monitor it, so I'm unsure of the quality. If it sounds good then i'm happy that my monitoring limitations aren't too bad and, even more so, that I'm getting better at doing this stuff. I have been studying the process more deeply than before.

The length of the songs is always going to be a problem 'cos I can't think what to chop. One possibility would be to go up 5bpm....that'd save about 15 seconds...I did mean to try this before I posted a final version but it slipped my mind.

Glad the bass sounds good to you Keith and Neil..it's the upright bass in the free kontakt player...I think it's good.

The sax i was a bit worried that my cut and paste from loops wasn't that special especially that the final sax line doesn't have quite the same sort of sound as the first bit...so I suppose I was trying to hide it a bit.

OK, I'm not the best singer in the world but don't know really what to do about it other than to get someone else to sing for me! If anybody has got any tips on getting the most out of a vocal I'd be interested to know. The song calls for quite an intimate vocal I thought, which exposes all my shortcomings more. I tried to get some warmth to it..maybe I'll experiment more though i may never get a silk purse...

Pleased you found it weatherbeaten Neil which suits the subject matter!

Nooms you're right.....I'll redo the ending. It's terrible. Glad you liked the bit before!

Thanks for listening and commenting all of you.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 10:42:53 PM »
The song is great. Love space laden Jazz. It always makes me mellow!

As per your notes. Vocally, simply add a warm, long tailed reverb and perhaps open up more, literally - a wider mouth will suit this for more projection and clarity and perhaps airiness.

Loved the sinusoidal synth solo. Very unexpected and works for me

The "sax" part and the side stick are both lost in the mix. Work these lovely chaps forward.

Do NOT speed the track up. It works splendidly at this pace

5minutes plus is no issue for jazz. Embrace and go with!

Good tune carried well. Some work needed but stands as a solid piece. Bravo!

James
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 03:39:20 PM »
This creates a great, mellow vibe right from the start which is cool and laid back. There are some issues with the pitching vocally but the tone of your voice is lovely. I have to say that I don't like the drums - they sound artificial and too fussy. They sound like a rock drummer playing jazz and I don't think it works. It just needs brushes IMHO. The rest of the arrangement is nice although the sax and brass could be louder.

Sound lyrics - mature and heartfelt.

Classy.

M

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 02:03:33 AM »
Oooo - those chord progressions are smooooooth.
I thought you voice totally suited and you sang it with just the right amount of laid-backness it called for ;D One minor nit is about half way thru the snare sounded a little loud.

But overall a classy write in my view
Paul

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 11:34:09 AM »
James - glad you like the song.
'Sinusoidal' describes that solo very well, though it is supposed to be an electric piano!
Thanks for the vocal tips.
The song lengths usually work for me but I can understand that others find listening a bit of a drag so i try to strike a happy medium - what am I saying?...I just do what I want!

Monty - glad you liked the tone of the vocal...got a better mic at last! Still can't sing perfectly in tune and haven't worked out how to correct this, either by voice training (can't be bothered!) or some sort of pitch correction automation type thing.

I think the fussiness of the drums is OK but I hear you about the 'rock' sound. I'm still new to playing around with drums and not yet settled on the best kits to use and all that. I've had a look at brushes of course and do intend to bring them into play some time - in fact I'm going to have a go with this track when I've got time. Incidentally i happened to be listening to 'Be Bop A Lula' yesterday and never noticed before that the drummer used brushes on that song!

Thanks for the positive comment on the lyric.

Paul - I can rely on you to mention the chord progressions! glad you found them smooth.
Must be all those Major sevenths in the first bits of the verses.
I was going to hold a competition to see who could spot all the M7s...there's 6 in all....

The rest of the prog is my trusty ii-V-I-vi with a few substitutions and altered notes...I don't even know what the chords are called...just like the sound of them.
I'll hunt down that wayward snare, thanks!

thanks guys for the kind comments.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:37:17 AM by Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra »
Take it easy.

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 09:43:10 AM »
this is really good.

I think your arrangement and mixing has really improved since your first songs that you posted here - really really good. you should cut the first 12 seconds. the bass sound is perfect - it really carries the song.

I liked most parts of the melody. the "okay, you win...etc" did t do much for me; but as i said, the song as a whole was a really really nice listen.

good

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 02:38:28 AM »
All this talk about smokey bars, don't you guys know its bad for your health.  Ill be listening to this late at night in a smokefree bar, maybe have a dry ice smoke generator huffing away in the corner to establish the desired effect.

Yup, this is sooo smooth, and digger has hit it on the head a sultry woman deliverying these lines would be a sure fire winner. A little more on the sax as well of course. Maybe some better phrasing?  dunno how to do it myself but I reckon this sultry woman would have the goods for it.

Great write sir, tips hat. Now wheres my glass of port.......... time for another listen.

Mark Ryan

• Solo Gig
  • Banned user
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 01:24:16 PM »
As per what James said re the mix. The only other thing I would have liked to hear and was waiting on it coming was a really nice clean extended guitar solo with the tone rolled off. Have a listen to 'Fade To Black' by Dire Straits for what I mean. I know it would add length to the song, but something of this genre can take that without any problem.
This is my seduction music and without the guitar solo I can't quite reach a crescendo if you get my drift  ;D
Apart from that, job well done, nice one

Mark