That Bloody Songwriting Contest!

• 9 Replies

massa

« on: May 19, 2011, 10:33:10 PM »
So I've been writing a 'custom made' song for this years UKSC entry, and it's doing my head in.

I wanted to write something electro, and the chorus just came to me, which is good. So I've been sequencing some synths, and that was fine. But listened to it tonight, and I didn't like it, so I've deleted the verses. Now I have a lyric line, and new synths, but now I can't think of any lyrics to write to it.

I don't write in this genre, but I like this genre of music.

massa

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 11:01:41 PM »
Ok I've written a first draft of some lyrics, it's basically what I want to say. Now I just need to reword it to be a bit better.

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 11:48:25 AM »
They take people away for talking to themselves.  ;)

Are you going to let us see the lyrics, either rough draft or complete? I know the forum has discussed the lyrics with no music thing, but we're aware that you've got music in development, so it's not quite the same issue here. It would be interesting to see how you write and rewrite the lyrics. It's not something we see often on the forum: how a song starts out and through new ideas and rewriting evolves from rough idea to finished item.

Chris

massa

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 01:55:33 PM »
Yeah - I'll let you hear the finished article haha, once I've done the vocal!

I need to find a vocoder too, I need it for the sounds I'm after, and I dunno where to find one.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »
Hi Massa,
you probably know this already, but
the microkorg from Korg has decent and user friendly vocoder options

massa

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
Thanks, I don't want to buy another keyboard, can you get a software vocoder?

If not I might just play about with autotune and see if I can make me sound like a robot.

I'm after something to the effect of The Killers (megaphone sounding vocals) crossed with Will.I.Am from BEP

spacedogg

• Open Mic
  • Ooo yes it's up there somewhere
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »
Good luck with it Massa. We'll finally get to listen to one of your babies!

massa

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 09:46:35 PM »
Okay well I don't know what I'm going to do about the vocoder situation.

I'll have a play around with tuning and see if I can make me sound like a robot.

I've finished a first draft of the song (with crap vocals) and I had to transpose the entire song, as I wrote it in far too high a key. But I'm finished more or less, and know what direction it's going to go in.

I'm really pleased with it, seeing as it's not my genre.

I actually felt the need to dance round my studio!

massa

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 12:44:01 AM »
So how many people from here are entering the contest and what are you entering, and what categories etc?

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 12:17:47 PM »
auto tune programs will give vocoder type effects if you set them to be more aggressive.
Sonicism Vintage Vocoder is a free vocoder vst that has some good reviews