konalavadome

Band names

• 34 Replies

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« on: February 10, 2015, 05:04:10 PM »
Always important to have a good name for your band, don't you think?

Almost as important as the music, isn't it?

But what about solo artists? Must we soldier on saddled with a name which, although it might be perfectly acceptable in 'normal' life, isn't really suitable for a serious, image-conscious performer.

For me, Ian Osborne doesn't conjure up a picture of a cool jazz muso. Not like Art Blakey or Bud Powell or Chet Baker is it?

I can do the drugs and the wine all right, but who's going to take me seriously with a name like that?

What do you think?

Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 05:47:06 PM »
Seems to have worked out for Ozzy..
You could always call yourself "Pink" - oh wait that's taken but the other colours probably aren't. ;D ;D

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 06:18:10 PM »
I was always called Ozzy as were both my brothers and it's pretty good for a heavy metal man but.....

In a previous incarnation I played alternate nights for a time at a bar in Gibraltar with an Irish fellow whose name was Gerry O'Donaghan or something like that...Gerry anyway...who was a grizzly bearded chap fond of the fruit of the vine. We chalked the billboard outside the bar for him as 'Mad Dog' O'Donaghan which seemed appropriate for him. I played guitar and harmonica blues in those days so I became  'Blues Boy' Osborne - still doesn't quite work, does it?
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 07:11:18 PM »
Maybe Bluesy, Bossy, Ballsy, even Jazzy might work!
You need a word that has assonance with Osborne me thinks.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 08:55:22 PM »
How about you switch your name around - Osborne Ian?

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 08:56:51 PM »
funny i was just thinking that digger

ian osbourne
enruobso nai
add an H
Henru Obsonai
no..
Harry Osbo
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 09:22:51 PM »
Just go with Osbourne. Sounds more enigmatic methinks?
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 09:51:11 PM »
Well I think Harry Osbo is the best so far but too many 'o's perhaps. Hal sounds a bit more 'jazz'.

I think the Osborne has just got to go altogether. Too many o's and not 'beat' enough. Not snappy.
Take it easy.

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 10:23:05 PM »

Maybe "Osbourne Identity" or Osbourne Supremacy"  ;D ;D

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 11:20:37 PM »

hold on hold on getting a bit close to george osbourne, dancerlar of the exchequer
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 04:30:28 PM »
No relation.
Take it easy.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 04:57:12 PM »
I think it depends on your music. If your music's good and you become successful then your name becomes cool.

Examples of "normal" sounding names that became something special because of the person's talent:

Robert Johnson
Miles Davis
Charlie Christian
Charlie Parker
Jonathan Jones
Bessie Smith

Moving into the modern era we have that well known Yorkshire brewery, Sam Smith.

If their music hadn't been heard you wouldn't think their names out of the ordinary. or associate their names with good music.

Produce great music and Ian Osbourne will join the great names like Thelonious Monk.

Keith

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 07:41:27 PM »
Of course you're right Keith, but that's beside the point..... and for every 'normal' name you can think of I'm sure we could come up with one that isn't...Howling Wolf, Slim Harpo, Fats Domino, Elton John etc etc

And having a 'name' is the whole point here. it isn't about becoming famous, it's about starting famous by having a name that makes an impact and that people remember, hence Marty Wilde, Billy Fury, Georgie Fame et al.

Trouble is I'm a bit long in the tooth now so it might be tricky getting used to a new name.....I'm kind of used to being 'Cramer' now so I might try to incorporate that....
Take it easy.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 08:51:45 PM »
But all the exotic names you mention are those that played good music and got recognition. Chester Burnett would have still been a great blues artist if he hadn't had a stage name.

Who would have remembered Johnny Gentle if it hadn't been for Stu De Stael and Paul Ramon? Thousands of funky stage names disappear into the night sky with only a small minority ever been aware of them.

I don't have any problem with stage names but the music always comes first.

Although its alright for me to talk I hide behind a band name even though its only me and my wife on occasional tambourine.

Good luck finding a name,

Keith

Mystic Dreamer

• Open Mic
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 11:45:11 PM »
I'd like to make a post in this thread on "Band names".

But first I'll contribute to the current conversation:

I agree that almost any name will become "cool" if the music the musician plays becomes popular or is embraced as being "cool" music.

On the other hand the most interesting, attractive, and cool name isn't going to help if the music sucks.  (some exception may apply)   Actually I've heard some pretty sucky music from bands that seem to be pretty popular.  So maybe they got where they are by name only?

~~~~~

Now moving on to what I would like to talk about concerning Band Names.

I'm thinking of starting a band and naming it "Shamanic Daemons".  My question is this.  How do I go about finding out if the name has already been taken?

I typed Shamanic Daemons into Youtube and no musical groups by that name came up.   I typed it into Google and didn't get any responses that suggested anything about any musical groups. I typed it into Google Images and didn't see any pictures of any musical groups.

It this a pretty good indication that there most likely does not exist a group named "Shamanic Daemons"?

Also, if I start a group by that name is there anything I need to do to "copyright" that name?   Or does it even matter?

One of the reasons I ask is because I was looking into having a 22" bass drum head done up with some fancy artwork and the name "Shamanic Daemons" on it.  That custom artwork head costs about $200 to have made.  I'd hate to spend $200 having that head made up only to discover that there exists another group by that name and we can't use it.

Also, if we create flyers, and a website, etc., it would all be based on that name.  A lot of time, effort, and money could be spent setting things up with that name.  It would be a real bummer to then discover that the name already belongs to some other group.