konalavadome

CAN'T TAKE A GUESS .. Melody needed

• 45 Replies

Mystic Dreamer

• Open Mic
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 07:12:23 PM »
I've thought about what you've said about the ending.   I suppose it has its pros and cons.  I was also thinking that since the song is about a mother and wife leaving life abruptly the song ending rather suddenly kind of reflects that situation too.

The reason the ending became a bit of musical conundrum for me is because the song is made up of two different types of guitar music.  The verses are done over arpeggios whilst the chorus is done over strummed chords that have a totally different beat and cadence.  The song ends on the chorus.  Therefore to keep the song in motion after that, I need to either continue with the chorus cadence and strumming, or slip right back into the arpeggios.  Neither one of these were working for me, and this is why I decided to just end the song on a single strum of the root chord C.

The problem is that if the song continues with the Chorus strumming pattern, it begs for more chorus to be sung.  And doesn't sound like an ending at all.

However, if instead of the single strum to end the song, I go right back into arpeggios then it sounds like more verses should follow.  I think I have a solution to this dilemma.  But I'm not sure if it's going to work.  Only time will tell.

I haven't been working on this song currently.  I'm waiting for the violinist to send me something.

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 09:02:13 PM »
I think you are right not to return to the arpeggios at the end. I don't think I will put any more ideas your way and just see what happens once the violin is in place. Am looking forward to hearing that. The contrast of the style of guitar in the verses to the chorus is what heightens the emotion together with your singing and so that is probably why the ending is important. I really like it and won't say any more now so I can look at the words.

Marrianna

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 12:34:37 PM »
Hi Mystic Dreamer

I have tried to alter the tricky words 'imaginative, bewildered' and some smaller words and so hope they work. I have left the other words (except lines 7 and 8 ) as they are for now so that it stays more or less how it was originally, but have your thoughts in mind for the future.
I hope you can still sing lines 7 & 8 with the same expression of tenderness because although the word 'took' didn't seem completely right, I loved the way you sang the lines.

I Can't Guess

V1
Another light has gone out in my every day life
She left a memory of friendship, mother and wife
A friend whose smile has lifted the saddest of hearts
With a voice like music that now never starts

V2
She was special and caring, why did she have to leave
The answer's in the stars, with such sorrow I grieve
There's no-one to fill the place that she left
And there's no-one she knew who's not feeling bereft

Chorus
This life, I can't guess what it means
This day, I can't say what happens to dreams
These thoughts, I can't explain in words
But I can hear her voice in the songs of the birds

V3
When I awake I'm remembering in a wistful way
The good times, the laughter, why couldn't she stay
Not only for friends, but those closer, so near
The children, their father, who've lost someone so near

I keep seeing a picture, it's clear in my mind
A bright door that opened for her, someone so kind
Now singing with choirs, but fragile, so frail
And then quiet as angels cast their comforting veil

Chorus
This life, I can't guess what it means
This day, I can't say what happens to dreams
These thoughts, I can't explain in words
But I can hear her voice in the songs of the birds

words
(c)Marrianna
with music by
Mystic Dream
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:43:21 PM by Marrianna »

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 05:12:30 PM »
Hi Mystic Dreamer,

Have you any news on how the song is going? I'm sorry if you are busy and I am being too impatient :)

Marrianna

Mystic Dreamer

• Open Mic
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 07:46:23 PM »
I'm sorry to have to inform you that the violinist may not be able to contribute as planned.  He just informed me that he has just joined a new music group and needs to learn a bunch of their songs to prepare to perform with them.  He also says that a musical competition is coming up that he will be participating in.  And as if that's not keeping him busy enough he also says his school classes are starting back up.

I think this is a good sign that he basically won't be contributing to this song. Although he actually said that he would try to "fit it in".  So I don't know.  I wished him luck with all his endeavors and didn't press for anything.  Whether he'll actually send me something or not at this point is hard to say, but it sounds like it's best not to hold our breath waiting.  ;D

In the meantime I got my violin down off the wall and blew the dust off it.  I haven't played it in quite some time.  And it might be better off if I don't try.  But that's where I'm at right now.

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 01:18:13 PM »
Hi Mystic Dreamer

It's a shame the violinist is unavailable but sounds as if he is very busy so understandable.
I look forward to seeing what you can do after dusting your own violin off.  :)
Thankyou for offering to do some more to the recording yourself which is appreciated.

Marrianna

Mystic Dreamer

• Open Mic
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 05:54:09 PM »
Hi Marrianna,

Well, I cleaned the violin up last night and tuned it.  It's been a long time since I've actually played the thing.  Fortunately I was able to play some scales right off the bat that didn't sound too bad.  But I couldn't even remember any actual pieces to play off the top of my head.  That's how rusty I am.

The good news is that I got out my Irish Jig book and was able to play some pieces it in right off the bat with no problem.  I just couldn't remember them off by heart, but once I had the music in front of me it was a snap.

But now figuring out exactly what to play over this song is a whole other story.  That's going to take me some time fiddling around.  The way I do it is improvise live until I find something that sounds good, then I sit down and write up that phrase in musical notation and then move on to fiddling around with the next phrase until I find something to follow that, etc.

I'm not a good enough player to just improvise over the whole thing in one fell swoop.  So it's going to be quite a while as I "compose" via piecemeal improv something to play over this.

By the way, I'm not thinking of this as investing a lot of time in 'your song'.   For me this is just an exportation in getting back into the fiddle which is something I've been wanting to do anyway.  I'd like to play my own fiddle over my own songs.  So this will just be a practice exercise for me.

But like I say, it's going to take quite a bit of time.  Partly because it's a piecemeal process to begin with for me, but also because I too am busy with other things and can't devote all my time to practicing fiddle (which is what this exercise is for me).

So anyway, that's where I'm at.

By the way, if there is anyone else who would like to collaborate with you on your song, don't let me stop them from contributing. They could start from scratch with their own music, or they could take what I've already done and see if they can improve on that.  I don't want to get in the way of other possible contributions to your song.

I'm just doing all of this for fun.  I really only offered what I've done thus far as "food for thought".

I want to get back into fiddling anyway, so this is a nice little piece to start on.  It shouldn't be too hard to improvise over actually.  I've been wanting to get my fiddle out anyway.  So this is a good excuse.  I've been putting this fiddling off way too long away.

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 06:20:50 PM »
Hello, again, Mystic Dreamer,

Thanks for explaining about you getting back 'on the fiddle' fiddling about, refreshing your memory of how to play the instrument. :)

I don't think you realize just how overwhelmed and pleased I was/am with how you gave a musical interpretation of the words I simply sat and wrote from my heart. What you have done so far is lovely
and anything you may add is a bonus.

I may have someone who could add some more to your recording but I am not sure yet.

The great thing is that you have been inspired to get back to violin playing and using it with your own work. So, one thing leads to another and nothing has been wasted.  :)

With many, many thanks
Marrianna

Mystic Dreamer

• Open Mic
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 07:42:10 PM »
I thought I better check in here and give you an update.  Actually there isn't anything to update other than the fact that life has other plans for me right now.  I'm not able to do anything musical at the moment.  I'm having severe problems with my heating system and frozen water pipes.  We're having sub zero temperatures here and my little cottage isn't well insulated.  So I'm in survival mode right now.  And the weather forecasts predict that this isn't going to end anytime soon.

So all my musical activities are on hold right now.  I might not be able to get back to this for a month. So I thought I better let you know.   It's just too darn cold in here to be trying to play a violin right now. My fingers are freezing as I type.

Hopefully this will pass eventually.

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 12:31:54 PM »
Mystic Dreamer

Sorry to read of your problems at the moment. :( I hope that things take a turn for the better soon.

I have had some enhancements added to the song and after just a few listens I am pleased so far.  :)

Take care
Marrianna

Mystic Dreamer

• Open Mic
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 07:31:25 PM »
I have had some enhancements added to the song and after just a few listens I am pleased so far.  :)

Take care
Marrianna

Will you be posting the enhanced version so I too can hear what you've done?

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 09:08:03 PM »
Hi Mystic Dreamer,

I could post it as it is but I am still listening to decide whether more should go on it. The additions are very subtle but may be enough for the moment. Some solo violin is at the beginning but not sure whether there could be even more added. There is also a quiet backing of strings and a little more guitar but not too much.

I won't leave you out :) Just deciding what to do. :)

Hope you are coping with the cold
With Good Wishes
From
Marrianna

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 06:39:28 PM »
Hello again, Mystic Dreamer (and anyone else reading this),

Just to say that progress has been made and the recording now has had more additions and a new mix.
The violin is not constant throughout which maybe what you had in mind if we had been able to include the person who was a 'fiddler' you knew. (Maybe in the future this could be possible).

I hope you will like it when you hear it although it may not be quite as you envisaged. I'll try to upload it soon.
Just thought I'd keep you posted on progress so far and to say that some of my further ideas have been added now.

As before, hope that temperatures have become more bearable for you and you are not freezing any more.

Thankyou to you and anyone else who may be interested and following this thread.

With Good Wishes from
Marrianna
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:44:26 PM by Marrianna »

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 12:57:16 AM »
Hi, Mystic Dreamer

https://soundcloud.com/marrianna-h/i-cant-guess

I have written on Soundcloud:  

I wrote the words I Can't Take A Guess for a friend who was very kind and compassionate towards me when (and after) my own daughter passed away some time ago, but still like today really.
It was with great shock and sadness that I heard late last year that she had not made it through her illness which she had suffered from throughout the year. The connection with my late daughter is
hinted at in the words by the very first word 'Another' light has gone out' and so there are double memories in my mind of the sorrow of the past and also now. The eulogy could be for both but it has been this recent loss which brought about these particular words.

There is more to tell later on if ever the time is right.

Here is the track with the few additions I described but I don't mind if you still prefer the first, original version.

https://soundcloud.com/marrianna-h

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 01:26:40 AM by Marrianna »

Mystic Dreamer

• Open Mic
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 04:27:44 AM »
I think you did a wonderful job with it.  You even fixed up the ending.  '

My physical life here is continuing to go downhill due to severely cold whether.  It's going to be a long time before I fully recover from this.  So I wouldn't be able to contribute anything new for quite a while anyway.  Besides, I doubt I could do any better than what you've already done.  You did a great job cleaning it up.  When I finally do recover from this harsh weather I'll probably want to get back into my own music anyway.  ;)

I'm glad I was able to contribute to your song.