konalavadome

Advise on recording please?

• 3 Replies

stargirl

• Busker
« on: August 09, 2009, 02:50:22 PM »
I have recently started trying to record my songs. But at the moment all I have is a laptop webcam that records sound. The quality is ok a part from quite a bit of static.

Is there any cheap or free ways of editing the quality of the recordings or recording on better quality?

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 03:43:22 PM »
There's plenty of free audio editing and recording software out there.  Take a look at Audacity - it's pretty good.  You may be able to clean up your recordings a little bit with this, but on the whole it's a much better idea to get the best microphone you can afford.  There are plenty out there for under £100 - have a look at this thread for more info: microphone advice.

A friend on the forum uses a brilliant little mic - I forget the name, but I'll either get him to post it up here later, or when he next comes over for a jam, I'll jot the name down and post it up.  Basically, it's a multi-directional mic/ recorder.  It records to high quality MP3 straight into its own memory.  You then plug it into your computer and download the music just like getting data from a memory stick.

As a rule though, the better the quality of sound in, the easier it is to work with.  Even a simple stage mic would be better than a webcam mic I would have thought.

Let us know how you get on :)

New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Guy

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 04:23:13 PM »
Like Tone said, equipment is important. But you don't need to spend a bomb. You have a laptop - that's good. Get some decent audio software on there, and buy a microphone. Anything will be better than the one that's in your webcam. Even if it's the cheapest USB recording mic available like the Beringer C1U from this page you will notice a whole world of difference.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 04:39:44 PM by tone »

stargirl

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 04:33:31 PM »
Thanks for the help. I will look into this a bit more.  :D