Who do I/You sound like?

• 17 Replies

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« on: January 19, 2015, 02:51:29 PM »
A common question when submitting songs is 'name an artist/3 artists you sound like'

As I'm Me and haven't really got a real world view of who my songs sound like, I'd appreciate as many forum members as possible to post a couple? of outside opinions.

It'll be greatly appreciated and a huge help when I need to give this info as a subjective answer.

Please feel free to put as many as you can!

Anyone wanting me to return the favour - please just mention in the post and I'm sure others will do the same as well.

Thanks for any responses.

Your opinions will help no end in where I target my songs.

We could all get a lot from this.

BTW - it's who my songs (generally) sound like or are similar to.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 02:53:09 PM by Alan Starkie »

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 03:00:38 PM »
Hey Alan, you sound like Gary Barlow. You've got something that is uniquely you but yes, you're voice is very much like Gary Barlow's. You're a quality songwriter and vocalist!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 03:53:02 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 03:50:14 PM »
100% Gary Barlow in vocal tone/writing

As for genre I would say "adult contemporary" / mor

The songs do sound like "singer/songwriter" songs - have you definitely stopped pushing yourself as an "artist"?

I think you singing your your songs does have enormous appeal
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 04:06:16 PM »
Can I jump in quickly guys?

Thanks for the Barlow reference but any bands?

I'm not sure the Americans know who Gary Barlow is!

Boydie- defo NOT pushing as an artist.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 04:11:57 PM »
Sorry Alan - but to me you REALLY sound like Gary Barlow so it is difficult to think of anyone else

It might be worth having your songs recorded by another vocalist to see if that helps find a different "identity" in the songs?
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 05:28:14 PM »

HEY ALAN

sorry i don't get Gary Barlow at all and find that hard to believe
 but we all hear differently i suppose
 for me i can't put a name on your sound
 but usually when i hear something of yours it reminds me of
 the royal family opening song    HALF A WORLD AWAY   BY OASIS

not spot on, but that kind of area for me anyway

good luck bud     

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 05:35:36 PM »
Hi Alan

That is a tough question!
If you pick an artist that's been around for a while, you risk dating yourself (in my case it would likely be Neil Young) and if you pick a current artist I think they would expect your music to be very similar. Seems to me a publisher should be the one that selects the comparisons by listening to your music - but I know many won't want to do that.

To me, you're an excellent singer and songwriter with some great songs - isn't that enough?  ??? ???

cheers
Paul

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 06:37:46 PM »
Alan,
Not sure I know enough enough about US artists nowadays to really help. Your lovely vocals do have a slight northern/Mancurian accent - which does link us to Take That and Gary Barlow. As does your melodic Adult pop/rock songs. So what I hear is classic pop, echoes of Mecca, Robbie Williams and The Feeling but what I actually hear is you. Not sure that helps you that much.

I dont know if you write to songs to sound like a particular artists but I am sure you can. How about doing selecting a few and see where that gets you. I'm thinking about One Republic, Maroon 5 and Bruno Mars ( Got a thing? ). Also what about asking you current contacts what they think?

Me I'm still mining the old, old school seam with references to Ray Davies, John Otway and which ever artist takes my fancy ;D
Good luck
:)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 08:05:29 PM »
Hi Alan,

On some of your more rockier tracks - maybe there's some Travis-like vibe. Obviously not the accent, but the overall sound - that indie, soft rock thing, with a smooth vocal.

As for mine and Katja's sound...

Cheers,

Digger

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 10:28:56 AM »
Hi Alan,

On some of your more rockier tracks - maybe there's some Travis-like vibe. Obviously not the accent, but the overall sound - that indie, soft rock thing, with a smooth vocal.

As for mine and Katja's sound...

Cheers,

Digger

I think you guys know EXACTLY where you fit with your sound!

It's self confident, assured and is a kind of 80's electro rock that I can like.

You've invented an 80's genre that I can actually like!

Cheers.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 02:54:39 PM »
Hi Alan,

When you use harmonies, the closest sound to me is the Hollies and of that band, you are closest to Graham Nash in vocal tone.

Alan

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 04:29:54 PM »
Hi Alan,

I'm coming in from left field.

I don't think they are interested in who you personally sound like but by naming three artists you give them a guide to who amongst their clients might be interested in picking up your song. A long time ago I came across an interview with Cliff Richard. He said he was fed up of publishers sending him Cliff Richard songs so he asked for a song the Rolling Stones could sing. As a result he got Devil Woman.

So, with that in mind, who can I hear recording Believe:

The Eagles
Loggins and Messina
Linda Ronstadt

Its got that 1970s West Coast feeling. If the publishers agree with your choices the next client that asks for something the Eagles might sing they can take your song off the shelf and pass it on.

Hope this helps,

Keith

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »

I don't think they are interested in who you personally sound like but by naming three artists you give them a guide to who amongst their clients might be interested in

That's exactly why I'm asking.

It's not for 'Believe' but my songs in general.

Thanks.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 05:49:25 PM »
I don't know....Gary Barlowish , and thats down to the accent !..your tone is not the same...you need to find someone who is  currently popular i would have thought, saying your songs are like something from the last century probably won't grab attention.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 07:45:51 PM »

I don't think they are interested in who you personally sound like but by naming three artists you give them a guide to who amongst their clients might be interested in

That's exactly why I'm asking.

It's not for 'Believe' but my songs in general.

Thanks.

If you aim to be a song writer for other people why restrict yourself to one genre? I know you are pitching your songs in the US. Any decent publisher will be able to get a professional demo done in the style they think will suit their clients.

I'd be tempted to answer the question like this: the song sounds like it could have been recorded by x, y and z. One song may be the Eagles, another Celine Dion, etc.

The songs of yours I've listened to often remind me of 1970s California with a hint of Bakersfield country.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Keith