New Song. Would love some feedback. Novice songwriter.

• 5 Replies

timeforheroes01

• Busker
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:29:52 AM »
Hey guys,
I'm pretty new to songwriting but have been playing and singing for a while. Here's a rough draft of a song I put together. Would love to hear some feedback, not just on the song but on the singing etc. also as i'm still finding my feet with everything. Hope you enjoy :)

https://soundcloud.com/yaargh365-1/stateofmind

Why did you write your song? I wrote my song to address the growing sense of apathy and emptiness a lot of people feel in their lives in what is a much more secular society (which I agree with btw). Almost a coming to terms with our own existence after an initial flurry of hope after the shunning of religion. It's written as two people's opposite views/feelings on the matter.. both of which contain aspects of how I feel/felt.

What are your aims for your song? I'm quite happy with it myself but i'm unsure if this is just me being deluded! If I get good feedback here i'll probably play at some open mics with it and see where it goes from there. I'm aware it's a craft that takes a while to get into so i'm just going to try write as much as I can in the meantime and hopefully come up with some better stuff!

Lyrics:

A-C-T-I-O-N, that's what I miss here my friend. Long gone is yesterday, my heart and soul erodes away and
A-P-A-T-H-Y, can't bare to look you in the eye. Distances and mountains grow with emptiness
and feeble shows of friendship, never instigated, i'm not sure if I am fearful or if i'm just jaded.

And you say it will work out. That i'm just paranoid and never deal with doubt.
But it's hard, when your purpose is magnified at birth and you know you'll be alone when you return into the earth.

But you say "why else would we do it?"
You say "what's the point if we all knew it" and
You think it's questions answering themselves but I cant tell. I guess i'll steal your answer.

K-I-N-D-E-S-S, sure fire way to bring successes, stressless happiness, life increases, hate regresses.
I apologise and please forgive me, i'm more cynical than that, although you do seem happy, I can't argue with that fact.

You think it's questions answering themselves but I cant tell. I guess i'll steal your answer.

But it's hard, when your purpose is magnified at birth and you know you'll be alone when you return into the earth.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:46:40 AM by timeforheroes01 »

sarepaar

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 05:56:32 PM »
I loved your song! I liked the guitar parts and I like the subject of the song and the lyrics too.

timeforheroes01

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 06:29:33 PM »
I loved your song! I liked the guitar parts and I like the subject of the song and the lyrics too.
Thank you. I'm really glad you liked it  :)

Elbowglue

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 07:39:02 PM »
I think it's great. I like the song as a whole, and lyrics that flowed so well they sound like real conversation, even though they were in rhyme. I think it would go well at an open mike evening.

Colin

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 07:48:10 PM »
Sounds pretty good too me....!

timeforheroes01

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
Thanks guys that's really encouraging. Will give it a bash at an open mic soon so  ;D