• 25 Replies

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 03:21:44 PM »
Thanks ALAN

I completely agree

I am thinking more "contemporary adult" / MOR

We kinda let the song lead the way on this one rather than be 100% commercially focussed, which allowed us to try out the "quirky" bridge  ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 03:28:19 PM »
Lyrically it works for your melody. but there's nothing new,nothing out of the ordinary going on here.....rhyming rain and pain , we can all get  away with this once in our lives.... ;D

What they(A&R) are looking for is something new and fresh...interesting phrasing  a smart perspective ..it's all about the bass.no treble!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 09:22:27 PM »
Guys,
Looking forward to this and it doesn't disappoint.
Liked the lyrics and clarity of concept and execution of this big pop ballad.
The song itself feels like its targeted at charts e.g. 1 line pre chorus just 1 D's latest, certainly think i could hear it on the voice/X factor.

Always enjoyed Andrew emotive delivery. Pretty piano. Strong chorus.

Thoughts: perhaps side stick on the first verse/chorus after the intro?
Perhaps some strings on the chorus later on?
Like it when you break it down at 2.49. think you should repeat and fade out around 3.40
Good luck with it.
:)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 03:12:35 PM »
Man, it's good to hear that voice again. Why isn't the singer a star?

Let's take it as read that the production is going to be first class, it's going to be perfectly played and sung with towering commitment and emotional punch. All true as others have said. I enjoyed listening very much as I knew I would when I saw who the collabs were. I think the song is strong - commercial in an AOR way which isn't to denigrate it and it would not sound out of place on the radio.

The clever thing for me is that the impact is immediate - you don't have to listen to it more than once for it to reveal itself. That's a strength but also a weakness but that's pretty unavoidable. I'm guessing this was written as a potential song to pitch rather than a personal statement or heart-on-the-sleeve unburdening. If so, you've done a magnificent job. If not, then my only criticism is that I felt I was being steered along and it was a little calculating in it's construction.

Anyhow, so good to hear the fruits of such a talented pair.

M

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 08:49:07 PM »
Good chorus! Especially in the latter stages where you start to overlap vocals....sounds great and it's a very catchy hook.

Lyrics didn't grab me on the page but in the context of some nice emotional music, they do what they need to...all gearing everything up to that hooky chorus, which is the kind of chorus i can imagine as the soundtrack to people up and own the country crying into their beer about their lost love. Kafla's vocal pulls it off brilliantly.

I wasn't sure about the quiet dirty guitar that comes in in the second chorus...it sounds a bit like a fly buzzing in your ear.... So I reckon either in or out...

In terms of style, I was listening to radio 1 breakfast show this morning and a song came on that I didn't know, but it immediately made me think of this song.... It was by Kodaline (can't remember the song title)....so not exactly boy band, but definitely current and commercial.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 10:25:52 PM »
Great work Paul and Kaf!

This took until the final choruses to really get it's hooks into me. It isn't the sluttiest of pop songs in that respect. For better and worse

Some good points from Starkie that I echo on listening twice through.

The bass is big, bold, perhaps a tad bloated in comparison to the rest of the mix. And you have also created the issue that the bass line and the kick are sitting a little too close for comfort in the freq' chart. I would look for a freq range to scoop to open up and allow the kick to impact with more clarity. I'd be tempted to start with a low cut on the bass gtr....

And yes, the snare is a little anaemic. Alas, I struggle here myself at times. A bigh snare is impactful but can sound 80s. A tricky one

The lyrics are indeed more pop fare than standard Kaf fare. But, they aren't cheesey, so good work on finding a middle ground. They never sounded off for the song. Nor did they grab me, beyond the hooks. But such is pop-balladry with vocals layered and pushed back! (Stunning singing and harmonies btw Kaf!)

The middle eight is perhaps a little too brave for pop? But a sleight and a compliment that...

The guitars work for me. However, when they do the chugga-chugga thing it takes this into 70/80s rock more than modern pop ballad.

Just spitballing a few ideas in regards to the "aim" of the song. Take/leave as you desire.

Solid, solid work regardless  8)

JNxxx
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 12:44:57 AM »
WOW guys :o I think you've totally accomplished what you set out to...with two such brilliant talents, I would have expected nothing less  :)
It's wonderful to hear your amazing voice again Kafla...it's been awhile  :) it wouldn't matter what you sang...it would melt me  :)
I wouldn't even attempt to try and critique this on the level of production...I'm just not that skilled, but it sounds pretty perfect to me :) the only thing I noticed on the first listen, was that the first lines of the 1st two verses sounded a little rushed, lyrically...like too many syllables, but after listening a few times, I got used to it  :)
I find it a little sad that so many good musicians, have to create their music around what's popular on the radio now, just to get recognized :o there should be radio stations that promote good songs
of substance and all genres, because IMO, a lot of the songs on the radio these days are pretty superficial and uninteresting :o but maybe that's just me   ::)
By the way, I'm not saying that this song is any of that...it's a great pop tune and it's got a really catchy chorus and I wish you all the luck in the world with it :) :) it should be on the radio :o
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:04:00 PM by crystalsuzy »

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 05:05:34 AM »
It's pretty much all been said about the technical etc. 

I'll weigh in on the Lyric.   Paul is right.  It's not very "adventurous." 

And for that reason, I think it's perfect.  Some songs leave the adventure to the musical accompaniment and the vocal treatment and the lyrics just supplement and stay out of the way.  This song is such a song.  To my ear, the lyric is absolutely perfect as it is used.  The prosody between the lyric and singer and the song is as good as it gets. 

The lyric does everything it SHOULD do in this song.... and knows when to not attempt more when it shouldn't. 

In the context of the song, I loved the lyric. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 06:23:24 AM »
Aw man I miss that voice round these parts, this is very very good.

I always struggle to offer technical criticism, I just like to sit back and listen.

Excellent work guys, more please :)

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 09:59:25 PM »
Its got the thumbs from me.

Great fat sound that hits straight away and Kaflas voice wow, got to be one of the best vocalists on this forum. Builds nicely into the chorus and its got that good strong sing along hook going on. Nice touch with the doubled echo on the third line, had me listening for it again after just one listen so that's working well. 

Also liked the strong hits on the bridge, gave it a real point of difference fromt he rest of the song. Production is superb.

No crits here.

ToastedAndButter

• Open Mic
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2015, 11:20:55 PM »
This song is great! That baseline is soooo smooth! And great vocals man! And the drums are super crisp! You have done a fantastic job on this! And when that scratchy dirty electric guitars come in with the layered vocals it just pops dude!!! Fantastic tune you've got here well done!