To All

• 2 Replies

postmn

• Solo Gig
  • I am not done listening to myself
« on: May 15, 2011, 09:51:13 PM »
 every day, i go on this site and i am like wow! these people are sick(good way) and i dont know anything about music and you guys do and that's given me a drive to write stuff, that looks better on paper than it would with a beat and i am half-way,just count out like 4 songs. without me seeing what you guys produce, i'd probably be watching TV.
so i want to say thank you  :)

massa

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:58:30 PM »
Dear Mr Postmn,

You have no trouble with your writing whatsoever. You need to realise that you can learn everything you want to know about music by listening to it. If you want to advance on it, then learn an instrument, or learn some music theory. Are you doing music in school?

There are loads of books on songwriting too, obviously they can't help you with your subject matter, but they can help with some basics. I find it's best to look at other peoples lyrics to learn songwriting craft. You should find a band / artist you like, and read their lyrics like a book. Try to see what made them say something a certain way, their rhyming scheme, and a sense of rhythm.

With some refining you could produce much better work, I think you just need to know where to start looking for clues. You have no problem whatsoever coming up with ideas and you have a natural ability to convey your emotion in a song, so that is half your battle won. Just don't give up!

And thank YOU for sharing your creations.

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:04:55 PM »
You definately have an ability to come up with some pretty surreal observations that make your lyrics stand out from others trying to do the same thing.

My advice is to get off your bottom and start investigating some low cost recording equipment. You've already got a computer (unless you're getting on this site via a smartphone). There's free software, you can get a keyboard controller for less than £40 these days and we'll forgive you for recording on a cheap mic to begin with. You owe it to yourself to make the move up to the next level. We don't expect to hear Pink Floyd when you submit something, but some kind of melody to the lyrics would show a real ability to match words with music.

Go for it lad, you know you can do it.  :)

Chris