Heart of Ice And Steel (Updated, new version)

• 5 Replies

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« on: December 16, 2014, 09:05:36 PM »
Yes, you dare to listen, it is not at all as hard & heavy as the title might suggest. ;D

I was always pretty happy with this song except for the vocal performance and the lyrics that sucks big time.
Today inspiration struck and I'm well on my way writing new and better lyrics and that will also give me a second shot at nailing the vocals.
Since I will revisit this one I take the opportunity to gather additional input from you all. Any suggestions on adjustments of arrangement, instrumentation etc? I think the overall sound is about where I want it to be but opinions are always welcome of course.

https://soundcloud.com/jambrains/heart-of-ice-and-steel-ver2

Cheers
/Johan
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 09:42:05 PM by Jambrains »

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 09:35:11 PM »
Joham,
No you're right it more of a melodic mid tempo. You end up with lots in there with the different sections and it has a bit of rock opera feel to this. Like the way you get to the chorus quickly and its catchy.

Thoughts: got to keep the bass right on the beat throughout the main sections.
Re your vocals it seems to me sometimes you sound fine and other occasions like you're trying too hard and it gets very gruff and slight off..
Hope this helps
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 11:06:05 AM »
Joham,
No you're right it more of a melodic mid tempo. You end up with lots in there with the different sections and it has a bit of rock opera feel to this. Like the way you get to the chorus quickly and its catchy.

Thoughts: got to keep the bass right on the beat throughout the main sections.
Re your vocals it seems to me sometimes you sound fine and other occasions like you're trying too hard and it gets very gruff and slight off..
Hope this helps
 :)
Neil

Neil, thanks a lot for the feedback! Yeah, I know what you mean by "You end up with lots in there with the different sections", even if I try to keep things simple I end up with a lot of stuff. I've more or less given up and accepted it as simply being my "style". Same thing happened with Cleanse my heart that I posted recently.

And spot on about the vocals. I never been very pleased with the timbre of my voice (technical aspects aside) and at the time I recorded this I was in a period where I tried to make my voice into something that its not. For some parts it work at least OK but for other part I went completely overboard. That is the main reason I want to record it again since I believe I now a bit more comfortable in my "natural" voice (and the new lyrics of course).
And I'll check that bass....

/Johan
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:10:00 AM by Jambrains »

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 11:25:42 AM »
There's a Scandinavian/Viking/Scorpions (I know - they're German...) type vibe here for me.

When the hook line 'Heart of ice and steel' comes up the 2nd time after 'day after day..' I was expecting 'Heart of ice and clay...' maybe? Might be worth looking at as a lyrical variation....

I'd back off the attack at the start and come in more gradually with the vocal intensity. You storm in full blast from the start and it needs more build.

I like the guitar pick but I'd back it off a little.

There's a drum roll back into the track - the kick sounds really thin and doesn't mix with the rest of the roll. Try fattening it up or maybe try another sample?

Can you post the lyrics so we can have a read?

Cheers,

Alan.

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 08:31:57 PM »
There's a Scandinavian/Viking/Scorpions (I know - they're German...) type vibe here for me.

When the hook line 'Heart of ice and steel' comes up the 2nd time after 'day after day..' I was expecting 'Heart of ice and clay...' maybe? Might be worth looking at as a lyrical variation....

I'd back off the attack at the start and come in more gradually with the vocal intensity. You storm in full blast from the start and it needs more build.

I like the guitar pick but I'd back it off a little.

There's a drum roll back into the track - the kick sounds really thin and doesn't mix with the rest of the roll. Try fattening it up or maybe try another sample?

Can you post the lyrics so we can have a read?

Cheers,

Alan.

Sound advice (all of then), thanks a lot.  :) However, I'm not sure if I understand the last comment about the drums?

Never mind the old lyrics, as I wrote they were not that good and a few weeks back I got an idea where I could salvage the parts a like and reuse them. As a matter of fact I'm almost done, probably a tweak or two left.  I'll have to change the melody/phrasing here and there but I have no problem with that. IMHO, this is better than the old lyrics.

Hearts of ice and steel

On a cold winters evening
the shadows ascending
from backyards and stairwells
they slowly arise
in silence they gather
in front of the churches
in search for a hot meal
and a bed for the night

Oh Why?
why must it be?
that we're so blind
to the suffering we see
we close our eyes   
we walk on by
with hearts of ice and steel
the sense of guilt
we push aside
it's not our problem, nor our fault
and we have worries of our own
we close our ranks
we shut our doors
with hearts of ice and steel

See, the shadows
are reflections
of a future never born
a glimpse of who you could have been
had your hopes been left forlorn
surrounded by your family
with a place to call your own
while the shadows, the live and die alone
they live and die alone

In the bleak midday sunlight
the shadows are crouching
at the gates of our temples
of richness and wealth
The strong
they get stronger
and the weak
they get lost
in the maelstrom of progress
you swim or you drown

2 x Chorus
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 09:15:17 PM by Jambrains »

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 09:46:06 PM »
Made a first attempt on new vocals with the new lyrics today. Turned out pretty good if I may say so. Still need to work more on the vocals, don't know the new lyrics by heart yet and keep mixing them with the old ones.
I think this version will be superior in all aspects, almost like a different song.
Have a listen at the two first minutes and let me know what think. Please :-)

https://soundcloud.com/jambrains/excerpt-from-reworked-hearts-of-ice-and-steel-work-in-progress