konalavadome

Spotify - Streaming... your thoughts people?

• 5 Replies

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« on: January 08, 2015, 09:15:10 PM »
Ello lovelies!

So, I spent some time putting my newest blog together. I did lots of reading and research with clients, pals, websites, and hands on experience.

Have a read:
http://jamesnighthawk.com/2015/01/spotify-a-musicians-point-of-view/

Spotify. Rdio. Pandora.
Hell, even Soundcloud...What do we all think people?

Would love to hear some thoughts about usage, and from the perspective of other people on here that may be on these services or will one day...

James xx
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 10:32:11 PM »
Hi James,

read the blog. 90% of the commercial music I listen to comes from cds and occasionally vinyl. I have used Spotify but find the adverts a pain. I only use it to test run things I'm thinking of buying and usually swop tracks before the advert appears if its a full cd. I prefer YouTube but the adverts on that are a pain as well.

I listen to a lot of songs on here even if I don't review them all.

I'm sort of stuck in my ways and feel sat on the sofa listening to a cd beats sat at the desktop listening to it.

Hope this helps,

Keith

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 12:50:19 PM »
Sounds interesting...I shall read this later too!

I haven't used spotify or pandora much, and haven't used rdio at all...used to be because I preferred listening to my CDs than new music (or maybe because I had no internet, back in the dark days, and buying new CDs all the time was too expensive)...... Since internet became as good as free, I love exploring new music...because I can...but I tend to do it all on youtube...

The number of ads on YouTube is getting more and more. I guess money has to be made. But I do find it a bit pointless where it's the same flippin ad before every video...even when you're just replaying the same video.

It's only recently that I've used soundcloud to listen to anything other than all you lot's lovely sounds...

Anyway, I haven't read the blog yet but I shall later  :)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 06:04:52 PM »
I listen to CD's in my car and Youtube cos i like a vid as well.......plus i'm always on it these days...the comp....( you can download AdBlock to  stops the adverts)

Not tried these services...i have Spotify apps on stuff....just not used it........don't see how it's good for songwriters that these mass data bases of music exist for the likes of us.....or major stars it seems!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 08:04:06 PM »
Hi James
I read your blog - nicely put together, and pretty much captures the general feeling about those sites - no one really knows what to think about the future of streaming or distribution for that matter.
IMO the top stars will need to push back like Swift is doing before these sites really start paying decent amounts out to artists. Maybe some of that pricing will trickle down but I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks for posting the link.
Paul

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 08:19:26 PM »
I think the biggest issue is that the contracts between artists and labels are still based on physical sales

Spotify is actually paying vast sums for playing songs - but the money is not getting through the labels to the artists

I think bigger artists will get savvy to this and start bypassing labels

I think the consumer model is generally starting to shift and cut out the "middle man"

I can see the middle links in supply chains disappearing altogether soon - being replaced by "virtual" entities that just serve to bring them together

The "Not On The High Street" model is really interesting as it pulls together lots of smaller "niche" businesses

Even Amazon is moving towards offering products from other companies

Could Spotify actually replace the traditional record label over time?

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic