Learn how to write lyrics

• 5 Replies

musicgreator

• Busker
« on: May 15, 2011, 06:07:38 PM »
Whats the best way to learn how to write lyrics. I am experienced with music and melodies and wan't to be able to write high quality lyrics, especially modern lyrics that you would find in the charts as quick as possible. What books etc. can you recommend?

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 09:26:48 PM »
Contemporary pop songs that you hear in the charts will be up to date with the language of the demographic that the song is aimed at. What is high quality to a Lady Gaga fan might not be high quality to a fan of U2. I think you need to need to find the right language for the song you've written, which means determining who your target market is.

If it's the youth market can you speak like them? If it's a more mature market that'll require a different syntax altogether. I'd guarantee that books on the subject would be out of date within ten minutes if you're aiming for the Gaga/Beyonce/Rhianna population.

My limited experience of writing lyrics is not to be too down to earth, not too florid, and avoid words that sound terrible when they're sung. Look for unusual word rhythms to avoid them sounding robotically in sync with the harmonies, don't get hung up on exact rhyming patterns and look for unusual angles on familiar themes.

There are lots of lyricists on this forum who can offer their own ideas and show examples.

Chris

postmn

• Solo Gig
  • I am not done listening to myself
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 09:33:36 PM »
if your going for the youth, you need some thing simple, catchy, fun, upbeat and relates to the youth
like chris brown- beautiful people, its simple, good beat and its easy to sing-along to and dance to.
the youth's mind is simple

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 10:24:44 AM »
Read lots of books! Poems, stories etc etc. Increase your vocab and start getting poetic :P Start hanging round creative places (cool cafes, venues or whatever), just anything to get the inspiration going.

musicgreator

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 01:59:53 PM »
thanks for the great replies.

massa

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 02:27:58 PM »
Write from the heart, and then when you have a first draft, reword it.