Have I reinvented an existing song?

• 6 Replies

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« on: January 19, 2015, 09:06:42 PM »
Tonight inspiration struck! However, it came so easy and sound so familiar that I fear I have reinvented an already existing song. Or maybe it just resembles a number of existing songs? (I can live with that). After all the chord progression is not exactly unique and the melody is not that strange either. Anyone know about any song that could be dangerously close to what I came up with (just so I don't waste my time)
Just ignore the sloppy playing and shabby vocals (I have not even tried out the key yet) , this was just a quick sketch. If I finish this one I promise it will be bigger and bolder  ;D

https://soundcloud.com/jambrains/weightuponmyhead

Edit: lyrics so far (WIP) just in case somebody is interested

When I look upon the stars high in the sky
and I realise that all of them must die
There's the afterglow of some already dead
and the thought off that
puts a weight upon my head

When I think all of the time that passed me by
while I waited for my catcher in the rye
by good intentions I was so misled
and the thought off that

Lift the weight from off my shoulders
roll away that big old stone
let me have a night of dreamless sleep
let me rest, leave me alone
please let numbness fall upon me  
strike me deaf and strike me blind
Lift the weight from off my shoulders
for just one night

When I look upon my fathers pale, white face
where the sparkle in his eyes now lost in haze
there are many things I should have left unsaid
and the thought of that
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:17:06 PM by Jambrains »

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 10:24:51 PM »
Played it twice, heard echoes of a few different songs. I don't think you've re-written an existing song but I could be mistaken.

Liked the guitar picking, not sure I'm ready for bigger and bolder. Sounded good as it is.

Keith

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 10:34:30 PM »
Played it twice, heard echoes of a few different songs.
Thank's! That makes two of us. Let's hope we are not wrong, I like this one a lot...

not sure I'm ready for bigger and bolder.
;D Let's put it this way: not sure I'm ready to put my poor excuse for a voice to stand all naked for all to see (well, hear) with just a guitar to support it. That clip will go offline the minute after I have manage to determine if I have reinvented something or not ;D Until I have figured out how to make the best of was I was given it will need the support of big and bold. Time will tell...

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 10:41:50 PM »
It has a familiar sound, like diadem says, echoes of a few other songs (eg I was hearing "baby I love your way" and "africa" in the opening notes). But I didn't think it sounded too much like any one existing song, not one that I recognised anyway.

It sounds nice and well worth further development, I'd say.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 10:44:30 PM »
I don't think you've heard my voice yet, you have nothing to worry about.

I think you'll hide the delicacy of the first verse if you try to hide your voice. You should do what's right for the song. I know its easier said then done but try it.

I've played it again and I don't hear anything wrong with your voice. It goes together well with the guitar, maybe the balance is slightly out. Don't get your hopes up, I'd make your voice a little bit louder.

Good luck with the finished song.

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 08:47:04 AM »
It has a familiar sound, like diadem says, echoes of a few other songs (eg I was hearing "baby I love your way" and "africa" in the opening notes). But I didn't think it sounded too much like any one existing song, not one that I recognised anyway.

It sounds nice and well worth further development, I'd say.
Brilliant Becky! "Baby I love your way" it is. Thank you so very much!I hated it then, hate it now but it must has stuck in my subconsciousness nevertheless. Sound a bit similar but not enough to stop me. This  is going to be great fun, thinking something like Brothers in arms meets Wake me up when September ends with a touch of Hooters on top. ;-)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:51:33 AM by Jambrains »

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 08:50:29 AM »
I don't think you've heard my voice yet, you have nothing to worry about.

I think you'll hide the delicacy of the first verse if you try to hide your voice. You should do what's right for the song. I know its easier said then done but try it.

I've played it again and I don't hear anything wrong with your voice. It goes together well with the guitar, maybe the balance is slightly out. Don't get your hopes up, I'd make your voice a little bit louder.

Good luck with the finished song.

Thanks, I more or less agree, but as you said: easier said than done. Thinking about doing two versions of this and put them back to back. Finding a suitable key may help some too.