konalavadome

It's asking a lot, but...

• 5 Replies

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« on: December 02, 2014, 08:11:23 PM »
I was wondering if you would listen to my entire 2010 album.
It's only 30 min. long, so not that bad, as albums go.

Just wondering what you thought of the whole thing.
Conceived of as a one-band mix tape, with different styles and players from song to song. I think it keeps the thing moving. But then, I want to know if you feel the same:

https://hoponpop.bandcamp.com/album/chicken-on-a-bicycle
That's a free stream, right there for you.

I really don't expect anyone to do it, but then, if I didn't ask, I KNOW that nobody would.
Thanks so much.

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 08:53:59 PM »
I'm in!  ;D
I'll update as I go, just a short not on each song and I'll try to wrap it up when I'm done

1) Here - great opening, made me happy!  :)

2) Sheila of the Worms - also made me happy! Would love to here it with a full band. The Rembrandts came to mind for some unknown reason?
3 Tortured Artist - I was more or less indifferent to this one ... until halfway when the guitars came in! And the the acoustics! And that wonderfull break-down-build up towards the end. You should do something about the first half, I was this close to press Fast Forward. Glad I did not!
4) C'mon Angel - pretty much passed me by I'm afraid. Not bad in any way but I guess I'm more of a band person so just a voice and guitar will have to be something extra-super-duper to catch my attention.
5) I'm Pathetic  - Now we're talking! Love this one, even the guitar solo and I generally hate solos I donät play myself. Love the oohhhhhs and aahhhhs. So far this is by far the best track.

Note: you must change your avatar! Seeing it I got the impression you wrote wierd music. I was wrong.... ;D

6) Come On, Let's Go - great soundscape with the steel guitar, piano and violin that works very well together with you voice. Second best so far.

OK, that's it for today, will continue tomorrow.

7) Happy Days - like this happy song, for some reason I get Walking On Sunshine vibes even though there are few similarities. Too bad that the female vocals quiet don't cut imho.

8 Say You Will - mixed feelings about this one, I like the song as such but for me it does not work in this spare guitar/vocal arrangement. There are qualities in the song that don't quite come through in the current arrangement I think.

9) Leo Goldberg's 2-Step - A bit of an odd ball, some nice twists, enjoyable for the moment but not a track I would go back to after a first listen.

10) Hey - was not to keen on this one at first but it grew on me. Works very well as the closing track.

All in all I'd say it works well as a whole, the tracks cover a lot of ground but never becomes to diversified, there is still some "core" that holds it together with the exception of Happy Days, not because of the song itself but rather because of the performance.

I'd say that the order of the songs could be improved somewhat, to me the strongest songs are in the middle and perhaps one of them should be the first track in order too get the listeners attention right away.

Took some time to listen through but it was time well spent, good job!

/Johan
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:39:27 AM by Jambrains »

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 01:18:34 PM »
Wow, jambrains!
I did not expect anything that detailed from anybody -- maybe a "Hey that was good." or a "Not my thing."
Really, really appreciate you listening to it and commenting the way that you did.
I'm glad that you enjoyed your listen (for the most part) and you will be happy to know (I think), that I am eventually planning on re-recording those two solo/acoustic songs with a full band -- eventually. Hopefully sooner, rather than later. Just couldn't get the guys together for those 2.
Again: really appreciate it.
Thanks so much!

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 01:46:49 PM »
My pleasure, I have only been around here for a few weeks but already received so much feedback compared to other forums that I do my best to give as much as I can in return. I hope you find something useful in my comments, I just wrote down what came to mind while listening so they are more of a first impression than any deeper analysis. But as they say: you never get a second chance to make a first impression so I guess they can amount to something.

Cheers
/Johan

retrononomusic

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 07:29:29 PM »
Hi!

I've listened to this a few days ago.

One thing comes to mind first, I miss continuity in this album.
I would have the live one in last position as it changes too much from the atmosphere of the first song (which I like and tap my foot while listening). I didn't like much 3 and 4 as I miss a melody like in the first and the fifth one.

The fifth one is the one I prefer, it has a lot of potential and reminds me of Hootie and the blowfish. It could make a hit!

Just one little thing, all the songs aren't at the same volume, maybe you could fix that.

I couldn't listen the whole album, sorry. I'll try to get back to it later as it left me a good first impression.

Great work!

Nono.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 12:27:59 PM »
Hey nono.
I dig the feedback and can appreciate what you have to say.
Thanks for taking the time to listen!